Old 04-12-2017, 08:37 AM   #21
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
If the country is on the Atlantic, get a price to bring it to SE FL. Get the service price for the engines. Knock those two numbers off your asking price. While I wouldn't want to pay Ft. Lauderdale prices to refit a boat, that's likely where the delivery ship comes in. Also, should have a choice of engine service dealers. Once it's mechanically sound, you could move it elsewhere on the East coast to finish your refit. Then cruise it through the canal if you want it on the West Coast.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 11:05 AM   #22
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
cafesport,
You make many things seem simple.
But this really is simple.
But simple often becomes complex.
What happens to simple when one tries to tally up all the stuff wrong w the boat? Then more problems are found. And more. And more........

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 11:35 AM   #23
Guru

City: Boston Area
don't walk, RUN away from this.

If you want a project boat....get one with a better history, and closer to home

If you're trying to get more boat than you can afford...get a smaller one that is operational at least....

If you have so much time and money you don't know what to do with it, start a charity...

If you want a boat, buy something that at least runs and floats.
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 12:01 PM   #24
Guru

City: Tampa, FL
If what you want is a project, then buy a project boat. If what you want is a boat, then buy a boat.

Many, many unfinished projects (this one, perhaps?) were previously bought by someone who wanted a boat and mistakenly thought that buying a project boat was the way to get one cheaply. No. Not at all. In the long run, a project boat will almost always cost you more (most certainly, if you count your own time and effort as being worth anything at all) than if you had simply spent the money in the first place to buy a boat that was ready to go (or very nearly so).

As long as you are aware that you are not buying a boat, you are buying a PROJECT (which one day may, perhaps, become a boat), then you are probably on solid ground.

Good luck.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 12:28 PM   #25
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"Anyone know approximately the cost to move a nearly 80ft boat from the Med to say the Carolinas or West Coast USA?"

On her own bottom?

Or in a boat transport? Perhaps $35-50+K

Have it operational BEFORE you buy it.
I'd guess more in the $60-80k range based on recent quotes.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 12:45 PM   #26
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by man n black View Post

I'm of 2 opinions....I could buy this for WAAYYYYY below going rate just based on it needing a complete interior gut and redo, exterior refurb....
You lost me with this sentence. You don't have the knowledge to determine the cost of bringing it to decency so you can't possibly know the going rate. The going rate for a piece of junk boat is $1 and they are periodically sold for that in Key West.

Oh and my quote of price to get it to US was to South Florida. You can change my $60-80k to $100-120k for west coast. Yes, new boat builders ship for far less, but you're not a builder. You might find a fly-by-night broker who will do it for less but you take your chances.

The only way to determine the value of this boat to you as it sits is to get a survey which includes all costs to bring the boat to a usable condition, get the shipping price, then look at the time and effort you'll have to put in and a value, if you value your time. Increase the surveyors estimate by about 50% for problems that will be identified later.

I cannot imagine that a boat in the condition you describe can justify shipping it across the Atlantic. At $1 it could be overpriced. If you're serious, then time to hire surveyors, one for the boat, one for the engines, although I'm doubting the engines can even be surveyed without spending money to get the operational and get the boat running.

We've had one house flipper previously here. I say that since you mention what you can do on a house. She did a beautiful job on a Hatteras, which was in decent mechanical condition. She used it less than a year.

I know a man who makes money on boats like this. How? He has his own boatyard and lets them work on the boats when business is slow, during their off season. He is in no hurry for completion. He buys at salvage prices. He knows enough to estimate what it will take and what it will be worth after and he undertakes no deal that won't allow him to at least double his money. I would lose an arm and a leg on a boat like this as I'd have to pay for all work, I'd have no idea how to value it for purchasing, and I'd lack the patience for two and three year projects.
Old 04-12-2017, 01:01 PM   #27
Guru

City: Galveston, Texas
Vessel Model: 24" El Pescador
Already been said...you should decide if you want to work on a boat or if you want to go cruising.

And..if you want to work on a boat I have to believe there are some WIPs a lot closer where you can put the $50k Plus into the boat rather than moving it.

Opinions are like........
Old 04-13-2017, 06:13 AM   #28
FF
Guru

First question might be what are you going to DO with an 80ft boat?

Even if it were free how do you plan on using that volume?

Second question is have you checked costs of slip space for such a vessel?

You may find its $20K+ a year just for dockage .
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 10:42 AM   #29
Dauntless Award

City: Wrangell, Alaska
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benthic2 View Post
don't walk, RUN away from this.

If you want a project boat....get one with a better history, and closer to home

If you're trying to get more boat than you can afford...get a smaller one that is operational at least....

If you have so much time and money you don't know what to do with it, start a charity...

If you want a boat, buy something that at least runs and floats.
And I will say what many must be thinking:
1. If you have to ask the question, you do not have the skills to get this project done.
2. Why are you the only person who thinks this is such a good deal. IOW, the boat is in Europe, assuming VAT is paid, why would not some local think this is a great deal? Since they don't. Why would you think it's a smart idea to buy, transport and then fix?
Which then bring us back to #1.

a Kadey Krogen 42 currently: https://share.garmin.com/dauntless
Blog:
https://dauntlessatsea.com
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 07:19 PM   #30
Guru

City: Baltimore
Vessel Name: Sea life
Vessel Model: Krogen 42 #61
All new exterior paint on a 10 year old otherwise neglected boat seems odd.

www.caribbeansealife.com
Sealife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 07:38 PM   #31
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealife View Post
All new exterior paint on a 10 year old otherwise neglected boat seems odd.
I was thinking the same thing
I suspect that the hull probably had major scrapes and stuff from run ins with piers, posts and docks.
mbevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 07:56 PM   #32
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Appreciate you are still considering whether to try to buy it, but if the unknown mechanical side is "make or break", asking to do a pre offer mechanical survey makes sense. It is not typical procedure, but this is not a typical boat, and it may determine the amount of, or even whether you make, an offer.
The presentation is unusual for a relatively young boat, is there any indication it has been submerged?
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 01:10 AM   #33
Guru

City: Coupeville Wa.
Vessel Name: Pelorus
Vessel Model: Californian 42 LRC
Quote:
Anyone know approximately the cost to move a nearly 80ft boat from the Med to say the Carolinas or West Coast USA?
I've been working on estimates to get a 73 ft steel twin engine work boat from the U.K. to Seattle. The Med to Seattle is nearly the same distance. About $50K in fuel alone on her own bottom. That would be yourself as capt with friends and family as crew.

Professional deliveries started at $180K plus fuel, plus food, plus incidentals, plus Panama Canal costs, plus air fare. And that, judging by the questions asked, was a sketchy capt.

The one and only transport ship outfit to quote so far came in at $325K

In my opinion a boat with questionable mechanical history should cross oceans on her own bottom.
Portage_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 02:31 AM   #34
Veteran Member

City: Steamboat Springs CO.
Thanks to those offering good advice....

A pre offer survey sounds like a smart idea...

I thought new paint on a less than 10 year old boat too was strange...no evidence or story's that it's been submerged...We got that the owner was rather eccentric and was in the process of a refit refurb before his wife put the kaibosh on the boat lifestyle.

To answer another person's question this boat will be a full time live aboard world cruiser for my family which is why at the very least the interior needs to be refurbished.

From my research with the broker who brought these Expedition yachts to market there were several built...very few of them ever left Europe and most were bought by Russians as they liked the ship like lines of the hull. This boat was hull #1. We also looked at hull 2 which was nicer, certainly more mechanically sound, but the woodwork and wood floors needed refurbishment as well and we also looked at hull 8 (a 65 foot boat) that was 2 years newer and in FAR better shape than either of the others but had some cool options (folding mast, 3rd genset) though lacked an inside sit down dining room and HUGE dry storage of the larger craft..They are all relatively the same asking price, though this also seem inflated..especially hull 1.

Hull 1 made the journey from Croatia to the Gibraltar area as recently as a year ago on her bottom and power...

Sounds lke she sat unattended-unserviced for several years, was moved last year and has been sitting on her own keel in the marina slip unattended and unserviced/cared for ever since.

With hull 1 there are unfortunate ifs...

If we could get it cheap and if we could get it home to the US it would be far easier to refurb before we take it cruising...having just finished building a luxury home I have no doubt about my own abilities...

Ch
man n black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 04:46 AM   #35
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole...
Old 04-14-2017, 04:52 AM   #36
Dauntless Award

City: Wrangell, Alaska
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Well, now you should be seeing a few more red flags.
A small number of "special" boats that were bought by Russians.
Nothing against Russians, but it sounds like the boats could NOT be purchased by citizens of the the E.U.

That would explain why this boat got as far as GIB and was basically abandoned.

I sense your enthusiasm and your willingness to take some risks.
But at this point I still see two big issues:
1. I think what many are trying to say above is that, it's possible, you could get this boat for free and still spend your life's savings on getting to shipshape.
Are you prepared for that?

2. When I bought Dauntless, she was the best of the Krogen's 42's the for sale, in terms of condition, hours, how she was maintained. Knowing our plan was to cross the Atlantic 15 months later, I spent those 15 months travelling from Florida to Nova Scotia, back to Florida and the Bahamas, then back to New England.
So that means I put about 1500 hours and 5,000+ miles before I even ventured more than a hundred miles from land.
This also gave me the time to sort out what needed changing, adding, and spares to carry.

So, If your plan was to move to the boat now and work on her in Europe until she was ready, then I could see a possibility that this would not be the disaster it seems to b e. But absent that. Please just walk away.

a Kadey Krogen 42 currently: https://share.garmin.com/dauntless
Blog:
https://dauntlessatsea.com
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 05:09 AM   #37
FF
Guru

"having just finished building a luxury home I have no doubt about my own abilities..."

Dirt houses have flat walls and many standards.

Boats are art in 3D and most systems are yard installed with no standards.

While a huge boat may resemble a house,, it is NOT and frequently vastly different skill sets are needed.

GRP repair , Welding? engine repair ?

Start with having someone get it running.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 09:08 AM   #38
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portage_Bay View Post

In my opinion a boat with questionable mechanical history should cross oceans on her own bottom.
What? Questionable history crossing on own bottom? Was a word omitted? Did you mean to say shouldn't?
Old 04-14-2017, 09:14 AM   #39
Guru

To the OP, were you just asking us as a rhetorical question? You asked and got many answers, but your latest post seems to indicate a determination to proceed. The answers were fairly universal in saying that this was a case when the WIP was too much. You're determined and not going to let any number of responses discourage you. You're talking yourself into it while we're all trying to talk you out of it. It's a losing proposition all around but if it's your dream and ambition, then the best of luck.
Old 04-14-2017, 09:25 AM   #40
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acheron2010 View Post
"keep looking on these shores for the boat that speaks to you."
Sage advise! (But probably won't take it as you are in love with the boat and are looking for TF members to make the decision for you.)