Old 04-16-2018, 12:27 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Redondo Beach
Vessel Name: Mainia
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
Wheel/Knob/Hook For a Canvas Bungee Straps

I'm tired of my canvas snaps not fitting, particularly along the bottom where it pulls down over the top of my transom. The canvas has shrunk and the snaps won't reach. Snap extenders are a poor compromise.

I've heard of using bungee and hooks, but I'm concerned about the hooks snagging clothing when I'm moving around on the swim platform. I've also read concern about the bungee deteriorating in the sun.
  • A short bungee attached on the underside such that when fastened is covered by the canvas would mitigate the UV issues.
  • Nylon nylon u-shaped clamps, like used to secure a cable run, with the two holes attached (sewn, riveted?) to the canvas could retain a replaceable loop of bungee cord.
  • Fittings on the transom where the male snaps currently are screwed which the bungee could be looped over. The is the part I'm having the most trouble naming/finding.
I can usually find things on the web, once I know what to call them, and if I can envision it, someone probably sells it. I’m sure I’m not the first person to think of this, so this wheel/know/hook probably exists.

In my mind’s eye the fittings screwed to the transom which retain the bungee are round plastic disks or knobs, very similar to the wheel of a pulley:
  • A nylon wheel somewhere between ¾ and 1.5 inches in diameter
  • Just thick enough for an OD groove which would retain a small bungee cord looped over the wheel.
  • the groove edges broken to soften them
  • a hole in the center the same size screw as used for a male snap
Would this be practical, and what would the pulley-wheel like fittings be called?
Old 04-16-2018, 12:32 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
I think that the bungee may stretch too much in a heavy wind. We just has 40 to 50 mph winds from Friday night through Sunday night. Glad our boat is still in the barn of the canvas would have taken a beating.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 12:33 PM   #3
Guru

City: Looking
Vessel Name: --
Vessel Model: Between boats
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbmillar View Post
I'm tired of my canvas snaps not fitting, particularly along the bottom where it pulls down over the top of my transom. The canvas has shrunk and the snaps won't reach. Snap extenders are a poor compromise.

I've heard of using bungee and hooks, but I'm concerned about the hooks snagging clothing when I'm moving around on the swim platform. I've also read concern about the bungee deteriorating in the sun.
  • A short bungee attached on the underside such that when fastened is covered by the canvas would mitigate the UV issues.
  • Nylon nylon u-shaped clamps, like used to secure a cable run, with the two holes attached (sewn, riveted?) to the canvas could retain a replaceable loop of bungee cord.
  • Fittings on the transom where the male snaps currently are screwed which the bungee could be looped over. The is the part I'm having the most trouble naming/finding.
I can usually find things on the web, once I know what to call them, and if I can envision it, someone probably sells it. I’m sure I’m not the first person to think of this, so this wheel/know/hook probably exists.

In my mind’s eye the fittings screwed to the transom which retain the bungee are round plastic disks or knobs, very similar to the wheel of a pulley:
  • A nylon wheel somewhere between ¾ and 1.5 inches in diameter
  • Just thick enough for an OD groove which would retain a small bungee cord looped over the wheel.
  • the groove edges broken to soften them
  • a hole in the center the same size screw as used for a male snap
Would this be practical, and what would the pulley-wheel like fittings be called?
Google "Bungee Button"

I have also used these which snap into the bottom edge of the canvas: https://www.amazon.com/Stayput-White.../dp/B00Y5I1V3I I think Sailrite has them also.
boathealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 12:44 PM   #4
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
We have a similar issue with our pilothouse window covering. However we simply give it a spritz to dampen it and then it fits easily.
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 01:00 PM   #5
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Boathealer - that's one approach - I have used some of those and they work.
Sailrite does have them

Jamie

Not sure if this is what you had in mind. I've only used a few of these to replace / duplicate what existed on a boat I worked on.

Shock Cord Lacing Knob

You can either install a grommet and simply add a length of shock cord w/ a knot behind the grommet or use the mating piece for the above

Stayput Shock Cord Cover Clip

I think both are available black or white

I have done many mooring covers for small fishing boats and use the grommet approach mentioned above w/ a loop of shock cord (knotted for adjust ability) and then a simple loop of webbing w/ a snap. Web snaps onto the boat and shock cord provides the tension. You can adjust tension via length of cord and the spacing gives you more / less overall tension of the cover. These are easy to replace if/when the UV gets to the cord or web.

Pic of my fishing boat mooring cover w/ these attached

Hope it helps
Attached Thumbnails
canvas_9_5.JPG  
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 01:47 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
I think that the bungee may stretch too much in a heavy wind. We just has 40 to 50 mph winds from Friday night through Sunday night. Glad our boat is still in the barn of the canvas would have taken a beating.
Good point, but...here we don't get winds like that often, and anything would be better than what I have now: snaps that don't snap, or don't hold.
Old 04-16-2018, 03:46 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Bungee Button

Bungee button...just too logical.

I love the power of crowd sourcing! Thanks all.

I'm going to give some of those Sailrite cover cord clips a try.

Easier that my idea to use two-hole nylon or polyethylene u-clamps that could be attached to the canvas with some backing using thread or a rivet. The ends of a loop of bungee could be threaded through the clamp, secured with a quick knot, and adjusted or replaced as needed. I know I have a sample around someplace and will find and take a pic.