What's Your Favorite Float Switch?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My boat is a (smaller) 26 foot boat. I have 2 pumps. The first is a small rule automatic that cycles every 2 minutes and sits in the bottom of the bilge. This serves to keep out the normal amounts of water that typically enter my bilge. It's cycling on and off is bothersome if you are looking for peace and quite. I have it manualy switched so I can turn it off when desired.
I also have a rule 2000 on a float switch that sits about 2" higher then the Rule Automatic. This switch and the pump rarely ever gets wet. This 2nd pump is wired with no switch other than the float switch and can't be turned off. It is there if the smaller pump can't keep up. Typically an emergency. (Or I forget to turn the smaller pump back on after nap time :)

Both pumps are hard wired to their own seperate batteries with individual circuit breakers in their own location. The breakers are the button type that pop when overloaded. (No on / off switch)

I have had a gutfull of Rule. I have 3 20 amp Water Witch no moving parts that Forklift on here Reccomended waiting to be installed. Soon as I want to lay on my belly, pull out the old assemblies, retire and install. Ugh...not fun.
They were described above as the one with 2 disk. 15 amp about $35, 20 amp $48 at Amazon.

Rule seems to rule the market on float switches but after a couple failures of Rule A Matic switches, I want to make a change. Suggestions?

If you have room in the bilge / depth, I have always used an additional sump pump switch ( a black ball with a rubber cord ) wired in parallel with the primary flip switch. They NEVER fail ! you can adjust the level by the length of the free power cord and even if the pump fails it can be a Hi Level Alarm.

my .02 CAD .... FB

What kills these switches for you guys? The salt water? I still have the original Rules in my boat from 1987. I test them regularly as I seem to be in the bilge always. Now I am exclusively in Freshwater so I wonder if that is the key.

The Groco AS-100 diaphragm switch hands down for me. Never a problem of any kind, no wires in bilge water, dead simple, adjustable on/off points, lasts for decades.

Check manuals fine print of electronic switches some won't go on with distilled water (rain water) or when coated with oil, or in soapy water. Some stay on if hair (dog/people) stuck to contacts.

Don't loose your boat to a crap switch.

. I don`t recall the detail, but it seemed a sensible device. Now, what was it....

Getting older are we, Bruce? Welcome to the club. :)

Getting older are we, Bruce? Welcome to the club. :)
Ain`t it the truth! :)
Actually it was something quite obscure, the poster said it could be made out of salvaged parts from a washing machine! I figured if it failed and disaster ensued, the insurance claim would match the success of the device.
I`m about to install a Johnson "flipper" in the grey water sump to replace a Rule which I think failed. The 2000GPH "Jetison" brand pump, probably OEM, instantly emptied a bucket of water into the car engine bay when tested on the car batt. The Johnson flipper came from the bilge, I had concerns about it, a spare new Johnson Ultra is onboard if needed.

Last edited:
Last time this came up, or maybe the time before, there was a simple switch which involved water rising in a tube,it was almost DIY, though I think it was commercially marketed in USA. But not here, so I decided not to risk upsetting insurers with some device unknown here. I don`t recall the detail, but it seemed a sensible device. Now, what was it....
j41.jpg

Jabso Hydro Air pump Switch 12 or 24v

This what you had in mind before the seniors moment:D

j41.jpg

Jabso Hydro Air pump Switch 12 or 24v

This what you had in mind before the seniors moment:D
Looks like a professional version of what was discussed. Now, what were we discussing.....oh yes...
Available here?
Anyone with actual experience of one?
Does that larger cover conceal the dreaded flipper?

Looks like a professional version of what was discussed. Now, what were we discussing.....oh yes...
Available here?
Anyone with actual experience of one?
Does that larger cover conceal the dreaded flipper?

No, I don`t think it does - the control unit sits high and dry out of the way and is an on off switch controlled by the air pressure from the bell which is down in the bilge

Having dismantled the contents of the grey water sump, namely the venerable but powerful Jetison bilge pump and Rule switch, and put it back together, I issue a grovelling apology to Rule, the flipper still works, though that`s subject to trying it filled with water today after some epoxy patch goes off. Looks like the quality of the wiring connections were the real issue.

Common problem. Butt connectors not recommended. Recommend soldered connections with shrink sleeve.

Common problem. Butt connectors not recommended. Recommend soldered connections with shrink sleeve.

Yep.... Almost sank my CC last year. Bilge pump failed to come on and when I came to check the boat it was within a qtr inch of coming over the transom at the engine. Turns out the butt splice the PO did was in the well next to the pump. The connection corroded. The new and improved version is soldered,heat shrinked and fastened out of the well. Some people's kids.
No butt splices on stuff like this.

Nothing wrong with butt crimp connectors for bilge pumps. Make sure the connector is well above the pump (feet not inches) and use the connectors that have heat shrink tubing with the heat activated sealant on the inside.

Ted

Rule switches are lousy since they stopped using Mercury. I switched to a Johnson in the 17 whaler I tow and it's ok. I have switched to the ultras on the big boat. I like the design, they have worked well. Bought several and will be replacing the rules (Mercury) as they malfunction and eventually the Johnson.

Are you referring to the Rule automatic pump type?
I've always wondered if the noise they make every couple of minutes is annoying...
Bruce

Annoying is putting it mildly! That damn thing had to go - its noisy enough to wake you at night.

I have 3 of the TefGel switches, on bilge pumps, and have not had any issues. They have been tested with water ingress from one rudder and both shafts for a period during my last cruise. I got the adjustment right on the shafts after some trial and error, and the rudder almost fixed before getting two-blocked. But developed confidence in the float switches before that happened.

I have the Johnson Ultima Switch in both shower sumps, with one recent failure after 3 years service. Spares on board now are another Ultima and a Water Witch electronic one. Hopefully I wont need to decide which to install for a very long time.

Back
Top Bottom