what type of shaft seal / stuffing box is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was having trouble getting my stuffing box to drip enough and now have some green goo coming out between the shaft and the nut. Have I overheated the seal too much? I finally got it dripping Ok but wondering if I've killed the seal now.

I was having trouble getting my stuffing box to drip enough and now have some green goo coming out between the shaft and the nut. Have I overheated the seal too much? I finally got it dripping Ok but wondering if I've killed the seal now.

Did you pack the stuffing box yourself?

Green goo sounds like the green stuff box clay like packing you can get that is designed to run dry.

On my boats I have always been able to adjust the packing for no real drip...

There is an ooze and if you put your finger right in the seam of the shaft and the nut while it is turning, and hold it there, it will just barely get moist..

I would guess faster turning and maybe larger shafts require more, but my last boat was a sportfish and had 1 1/2 inch shafts with 3208s turning 2600 regularly.

I don't mind the dripping. The shower sump used to be right next to where the stuffing box is. I relocated it to under the stuffing box so I have a dry bilge now.

I have the same packing glands as the picture in post 14. I packed them with GFO 2 years ago and they barely drip underway and a few minutes after stopping they do not drip at all. The interesting part is I did not have to tighten the gland much in the beginning to stop dripping and have not had to adjust them in two years and a couple of 100 mile trips.

I didn't pack it myself. Had never done one before and the boat was in FL and I was in TX so I let the yard do it.

I asked them what type of packing they used but they can't remember. Had a regime change at the yard while my boat was there getting worked on so everything is a little screwed up. ?

So the green goo might be OK? I had to really loosen up the nut for it to drip at all. I didn't know that some packings were designed to NOT drip-- I was trying to get 2-3 drips per minute.

But it shouldn't get 150 plus degrees, right?

I didn't pack it myself. Had never done one before and the boat was in FL and I was in TX so I let the yard do it.

I asked them what type of packing they used but they can't remember. Had a regime change at the yard while my boat was there getting worked on so everything is a little screwed up. ?

So the green goo might be OK? I had to really loosen up the nut for it to drip at all. I didn't know that some packings were designed to NOT drip-- I was trying to get 2-3 drips per minute.

But it shouldn't get 150 plus degrees, right?

You should be able to hold your hand on it comfortably.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom