What is this strange tool for?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Njlarry

(first time posting a pic, if it does not work I will remove post)
Anyone know what this tool is used for? Found it on my new boat with CAT 3126s and a westerbeke generator. The working end has an open hex socket like a flare wrench would. The handle has a threaded stud on the end. Doesn't look like it was ever used.
The winning entry gets a free subscription to the forum. :thumb:

Attachments

• 20210802_200302.jpg
    20210802_200302.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 239
For slipping over a fuel or oil line, and then on to the nut? It would allow you to use like a screw driver to tighten to snug, or remove once the nut had been loosened. Would only work of the line was somewhat straight for at least the length of the "screwdriver" including handle though . . . .

HTurner you may be on to something close. On more careful inspection the working end is not really hex shaped like nut driver but has small rounded hallows that would fit a knob or connector but not exactly a BNC connector.

Throw it away. In under a week, something will fail and the function and need for the tool will be clear.

Lol....always need a tool after I give or loan it away.
I think jhall is our official winner. The threads on the end look like the connector on a tv cable, not sure why a tool is needed to tighten tv cable but will find out after I throw the thing out.k

Yay! Very useful getting cable TV connections on and off. especially where they are corroded on a pedestal

Can't technically be used by installers as they are required to use a small torque wrench. There are several different varieties of this and most techs don't use them as the connector needs to be started by hand and it is not that many turns until you need the torque wrench. This particular tool seems too long to fit in the tight spaces around televisions and cable/satellite set top boxes.

Can't technically be used by installers as they are required to use a small torque wrench. There are several different varieties of this and most techs don't use them as the connector needs to be started by hand and it is not that many turns until you need the torque wrench. This particular tool seems too long to fit in the tight spaces around televisions and cable/satellite set top boxes.

Tools of this type are typically used for connectors found in racks, where reaching in is hard/tight. Not for back of TVs and cable boxes.

I would just put it away for a rainy day.

Can't really see the working end clearly, but my first impression is that of a tool used for securing jubilee clips.

Looks a bit like the tool used to rotate the oil pump shaft down inside a gas engine so the distributor would align and drop in. A long screwdriver was often used and the market responded with numerous dedicated products. The oil pump shaft had a slot in the upper end and the tool would normally have a barrel end that slipped over the pump shaft and a straight blade inside that engaged the pump shaft. These commercial tools were also used with a hand drill to spin the oil pump shaft to prime the engine with oil before starting.

Cut the end off and make an ice pick. Never mind we have cubes now. :D

Now that you know it's designed use, you need a practical use.
Do you catch crabs? Then keep them alive in a bucket? Use your newly found crab bucket holer to perforate the bucket so the crabs get refreshed water while hung over the side. Heat the business end on your propane stove till hot enough to melt the plastic of your spare Rotella 20l bucket in an esthetically pleasing pattern and voila!

Looks like it but still dont understand it usage.
Caution: if you throw it away, you will need it eventually.

Some DVR or radios had quite close together BNC terminals, and it's hard to push down on the outer ring of the bnc and give it a quarter turn to lock or unlock a BNC connector. Especially if there is a neighboring BNC 1/4" away from the one you're working on.

The BNC tool has a slot down the side to let you slip the coax cable through, and the ring is tapered, so it is a tension fit on the knurled part of the BNC connector, letting you push down and lock it, or unlock it if desired. When done, back the tool up and slip it off the cable through the slot in the ring.

Could be used for removing injectors.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom