what size and how many jack stands + 6x6 blocks 34 marine trader IAN special

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Faracasfinest

I have a 34 marine trader that is destined for my front yard due to hurricane Ian. I guess I am lucky because my vessel ended up across the street from my slip at Fort Myers beach. I can repair the damage but my question is how many jack stands of what size and how many 6x6 wood blocks are recommended? I am contacting transporters now but I would like to know how many stands and of what size for marine trader double cabin. My vessel is still tied to the pilings but on land and resting on a concrete fence about 100 feet from where it should be in the water. Maybe someone has some knowledge and or stands that are for sale or rent for the Roger Miller price... Thank you. stands and blocks how many and what size. Thanks glad you are alive :thumb:

I have 4 under my Marine Trader 34DC.

2 Brownell MB-2 and 2 Brownell SB-3 is what I have with keel blocking about 16-20 inches high.

I probably should have opted for the MB-1 and have my eyes open for a set of MB-1's to have a total of six.

Professional Boatbuilder Magazine has their archives available. I Attempted to attach a screenshot of the index showing the various articles that describe blocking and support of vessels ashore. Since I couldn’t attach my screenshot, I recommend you go to their website, click on archives and look for the index of articles. You can look at subjects in past editions for free.. By the way, that magazine also prints Woodenboat magazine

I'd block in 4 places under the keel plus a set under the transom personally. As long as the props clear the ground, you shouldn't need to go more than 1 block tall under the keel (although keel shape means you may need to add smaller blocks on top to raise the forward sets and get the boat level). At that size, 3 stands per side should be adequate.

90 % of your boat weight is on the keel when it is on the hard. The jackstands are only for balance. In theory you could get by with one or two per side. Remember that the parking lot or boat storage area at your marina is likely very much more firmly packed than your backyard. Give your jackstands a wide base of several layers of plywood or steel.

While "In Theory" you could get be with one or two per side this would be suicide, IMO.
I have eight on my 36 foot 20,000 pound Albin, and I would recommend no less.

pete

Most yards would use two jackstands per side, plus a few lenthths of railroad ties beneath the keel to give access beneath. More is better of course - if you need hull repair work, having three per side will help you reposition one while the other two shoulder the load.

You likely already know, but there should be a chain with turnbuckle between opposing jackstands to prevent them from spreading.

Good luck. Pictures of repair are always welcomed.

Peter 20220915_100027~2.jpg

I prefer 3 stands per side. Makes me feel much more comfortable to relocate stands if it becomes necessary. I also prefer blocking at 18” makes it much easier to work on the hull.

Now if you have no hull work to preform then I would go as low as possible. Makes it much easier to get on and off the boat.

If you need to replace rudders, determine how much clearance you require to drop the rudder and block accordingly.

Funny, but I have had my boats, from 32 to 36 feet, on the hard for the winter probably 50 times. I always spend some time on the boat while it is on the hard doing the engines or clean up or tarping or whatever. I have had my boats inside heated storage and outside on pavement or grass.

I don't know if it is just me or what but the boat always seems to be moving, just slight movements, like side to side. Especially when I am on the flybridge.

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed this phenominum?

pete

Funny, but I have had my boats, from 32 to 36 feet, on the hard for the winter probably 50 times. I always spend some time on the boat while it is on the hard doing the engines or clean up or tarping or whatever. I have had my boats inside heated storage and outside on pavement or grass.

I don't know if it is just me or what but the boat always seems to be moving, just slight movements, like side to side. Especially when I am on the flybridge.

pete

Depending on how the boat is supported, how stiff the hull is, etc. there can be a little flex or jiggle as you move around. It's not uncommon.

Usually, your boat hauler will tell you what you need if they are pros. For the stands you will need 3/4 ply wood pieces beneatn them if not they are not placed on asphalt. You also need CHAIN to span each jack stand.

There is no harm to have 3 stands on each side- especially when you are prepping the bottom in spring and need to remove them here and there

Last edited:

pete

Mine is solid. I don’t feel any movement. Yours is probably getting ready to fall over right now…

Mine has 4 sets of stands and the keel is blocked in 4 places. It survived a direct hit from hurricane Ian’s Cat 4 winds up to 150 mph. Can’t ask for better performance.

Professional Boatbuilder Magazine has their archives available. I Attempted to attach a screenshot of the index showing the various articles that describe blocking and support of vessels ashore. Since I couldn’t attach my screenshot, I recommend you go to their website, click on archives and look for the index of articles. You can look at subjects in past editions for free.. By the way, that magazine also prints Woodenboat magazine

Here's one article https://stevedmarineconsulting.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/10/Hauling-Blocking199-EDFINAL.pdf It's in the current issue.

Back
Top Bottom