What fabric for Sun Shade?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlanT

Guru
Vessel Name
MoonShadow
Vessel Make
Wendon Skylounge 72'
I am having SS poles installed at the rear of my upper deck for installation of a sun shade 'roof'. Dimensions of the shade will be around 10' X 20'. It will run from the rear of my upper deck roof to the stern.

I now need to consider what type of fabric I should use. It will not be a permanent installation, it will remain up when I am on the boat, but be rolled up in summer months when off the boat and removed in winter months.

I am seeking input on whether a sunbrella canvas, or an exterior mesh screen material will be a better solution.

I will need to tension it probably with a bolt rope running along each side to the stern fittings.

My preconceptions:

My feeling is that mesh will be weaker but apply less wind pressure on the installation. No idea whether mesh (properly reinforced) will withstand this application.

Mesh being lighter will better cope with sag from the 20' long stretch needed.

I would appreciate input from anyone with experience of either application.

Thanks

~Alan

Mesh can be plenty strong. I had a large awning made from "marine-grade" mesh fabric for the carport in my house and it stood up very well to strong winds and the elements in general. It was aproximately 5 metres by 5 metres.

I used mesh so water would not accumulate. Depending on how you install yours this could an issue. Not sure it reduces the wind pressure that much.

We're looking at taking on the same project for OLOH and will be very interested to follow your progress so we hope you continue to post about it. Do you have a source for the poles and mounts? We have some thoughts on the east coast but always curious to hear what others are doing.

For what it's worth, our friends' OA has that setup from the factory. Other than in nasty rain storms, they mostly leave the Sunbrella sunshade up, even when underway at 20 kts. The fabric with its reinforced corners and edges does very well but of course it will catch water when it rains.

16234-albums687-picture6782.jpeg

We're looking at taking on the same project for OLOH and will be very interested to follow your progress so we hope you continue to post about it. Do you have a source for the poles and mounts? We have some thoughts on the east coast but always curious to hear what others are doing.

For what it's worth, our friends' OA has that setup from the factory. Other than in nasty rain storms, they mostly leave the Sunbrella sunshade up, even when underway at 20 kts. The fabric with its reinforced corners and edges does very well but of course it will catch water when it rains.

16234-albums687-picture6782.jpeg

Thanks! Do you know whether their shade is sunbrella fabric or mesh? Since it holds water I am guessing it is fabric but would appreciate confirmation. We will likely go with mesh if we can be convinced it is strong enough as here in the PNW we don't need to eliminate the sun, just provide some SPF factor.

I was having work done on the boat in the yard (Nordlund in Tacoma WA) and they had their stainless steel guy look at it and spec the hardware materials. Not cheap but it involves custom curved backing plates at a 15 degree angle to vertical and I wanted the posts to be removeable if needed.

~Alan

Sunbrella came out with a mesh type of fabric a couple of years ago. I can’t remember what it is called though. It is a sunshade but won’t hold water, it will just flow through. You might call Glen Raven and ask the about it.

Check out RockfordSupply.com
I have bought a lot of fabric and mesh from them.
They frequently have 2nds & close-outs at attractive prices. They will send samples.
I have used a lot of their white mesh for window covers and aft deck sunscreens.

The 20 ft unsupported run will be tricky! Is there no way to add intermediate supports? Poles or bows?

I usually just fold mesh edges in 2X to hem it and it adds pretty good strength and lace for snaps or grommets. You could add nylon webbing for additional strength and intermediate support or tie down points via grommets. Wind on a 20 ft span will also be a challenge

what type of fabric I should use.

I am seeking input on whether a sunbrella canvas, or an exterior mesh screen material will be a better solution.

I would appreciate input from anyone with experience of either application.

Thanks

~Alan

I had a 13 x 13 awning for my cockpit fabricated from Sunbrella, with a lot of grommets to allow for various configurations, but it turned out to be far too heavy, sagging everywhere andit now lies folded in the bottom of a locker.

Subsequently, I went for one of the "boat umbrellas", like below. It actually is just the right weight, but coverage is inadequate. My next experiment will be one of the light rainflys which REI sells in many configurations.

my boat has Sunbrella covers for the flybridge, hatches, and my sailing dinghy. They are highly satisfactory, but involve very little unsupported surface. Go light.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 22
I have seen two tone awnings that were excellent.

A white or light color is on top to not absorb heat and a darker color was below to make it much easier on your eyes on every bright day.

Side curtains are also grand as afternoons can be very bright.

Last edited:
10x20 feet is a lot of surface. Solid fabric is a non-starter given how much rain that will hold. Textaline is a good UV-tolerant mesh fabric and is strong. It is a bit bulky. But then again, 10x20 of most fabrics will be pretty bulky. NOTE - the edges should have a pretty decent 'scallop' in them to reduce flapping - just a bolt-rope won't do it. The center part of long edges will likely only be 8-feet apart so the shade will have an hourglass shape. Alternative would be a post on midpoint of each long sides in addition to the aft corners.

Good that you're having the work done by a reputable yard. The force of a 200sf sail is considerable - the corner posts will have a lot of pressure on them. The sails really need to be tightly tensioned to reduce/remove the sag.

Without a better picture than your avatar, it's hard for me to visualize. You may want to attach it well above your roof if at all possible to prevent the sag from feeling like the ceiling is falling down. Or figure out some sort of trapezoidal install as shown in Post #9 - maybe 3 posts along the aft edge of your deck, with the center post a foot or so higher than the two corner posts. Would help remove sag.

As a guy who has tinkered with shade sails for years, you may really want to mock-up with some cheap materials first (2x4 and cheap tarp). This is definitely the type of project that looks great on paper but doesn't work out in practice - your corner posts probably need to be 12-feet apart to properly tension a 10-foot edge of fabric, perhaps more with turnbuckle.

I've had several successes, but a few fails too. Large square/rectangles are more difficult than triangles. Another suggestion might be a pair of long right-triangles where the short 10-foot sides overlap completely on the after edge of your roof (rough sketch attached), with the acute apex of each attached to the corner posts. I've ever seen them on a boat, but they look dynamite in terrestrial applications (much better looking than square/rectangles). Easier to remove sag.

Peter

Shade Sail Boat.jpg

Last edited:
$400 tent poles get one's attention!

This is more like what I had in mind. There is a huge variety of variants on this. Probably wants a third pole, but the boom on my deck crane might also serve.

Sorry for the poor link, they do sell a set for about 460.00

The 20 ft unsupported run will be tricky! Is there no way to add intermediate supports? Poles or bows?

My pool cover at home has a guy wire to support the center of the shade. It's attached to one D shackle in the center of the mesh. If disconnected, the fabric drops a good 2 to 3' regardless of how much I tension it.

awnings

After monkeying around with a lot of different options, it finally occurred to me that a patio crank down shade might work on my 42 Uniflite. And it does. Nowhere near the scale you're talking about, but very inexpensive and quite strong. With the shock cords I have anchored it with, it's withstood 25kt gusts with no issue. Rolling it up is a snap and it really cuts down the Sacramento mid afternoon sun blast on the cabin.

Tak

Attachments

• aft awning.jpg
    aft awning.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 20
10x20 feet is a lot of surface. Solid fabric is a non-starter given how much rain that will hold. Textaline is a good UV-tolerant mesh fabric and is strong. It is a bit bulky. But then again, 10x20 of most fabrics will be pretty bulky. NOTE - the edges should have a pretty decent 'scallop' in them to reduce flapping - just a bolt-rope won't do it. The center part of long edges will likely only be 8-feet apart so the shade will have an hourglass shape. Alternative would be a post on midpoint of each long sides in addition to the aft corners.

Good that you're having the work done by a reputable yard. The force of a 200sf sail is considerable - the corner posts will have a lot of pressure on them. The sails really need to be tightly tensioned to reduce/remove the sag.

Without a better picture than your avatar, it's hard for me to visualize. You may want to attach it well above your roof if at all possible to prevent the sag from feeling like the ceiling is falling down. Or figure out some sort of trapezoidal install as shown in Post #9 - maybe 3 posts along the aft edge of your deck, with the center post a foot or so higher than the two corner posts. Would help remove sag.

As a guy who has tinkered with shade sails for years, you may really want to mock-up with some cheap materials first (2x4 and cheap tarp). This is definitely the type of project that looks great on paper but doesn't work out in practice - your corner posts probably need to be 12-feet apart to properly tension a 10-foot edge of fabric, perhaps more with turnbuckle.

I've had several successes, but a few fails too. Large square/rectangles are more difficult than triangles. Another suggestion might be a pair of long right-triangles where the short 10-foot sides overlap completely on the after edge of your roof (rough sketch attached), with the acute apex of each attached to the corner posts. I've ever seen them on a boat, but they look dynamite in terrestrial applications (much better looking than square/rectangles). Easier to remove sag.

Peter

View attachment 116881

Thanks Peter and others for tons of good tips. I am going to experiment first with a cheapo Amazon.com rectangular shade which I can buy for about $50 in a multiple of custom sizes (dont know actual desired size till the hardware is installed). That will help me determine sag/pull towards center from a light material. I have pretty much convinced myself from others comments that canvas and even sunbrella mesh will be too heavy for the 20' est length.

I also like Peter's idea of using triangular shades (My wife is a big proponent of this).

Another thought I have is to restrict the shade to approx 10' X 10'. The posts will remain at the stern where they have to be located due to my crane rotation requirements. But we will actually be shaded pretty well in the area we plan to use with 10x10 of shade and the guy lines/wires running bare back to the posts.

I will keep you posted (no pun intended) as this project progresses.

~Alan

After monkeying around with a lot of different options, it finally occurred to me that a patio crank down shade might work on my 42 Uniflite. And it does. Nowhere near the scale you're talking about, but very inexpensive and quite strong. With the shock cords I have anchored it with, it's withstood 25kt gusts with no issue. Rolling it up is a snap and it really cuts down the Sacramento mid afternoon sun blast on the cabin.

Tak

I even resorted to removable color matched fabric shade curtains placed strategically on the cockpit cover rail to keep the Delta sun at bay. They worked like a champ!

If I've got shade and a breeze (or my fans) on the Delta, I'm happy. If I get warm, I jump in for a refreshing freshwater swim.

Attachments

• FW Full Regalia.jpg
    FW Full Regalia.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
I have a cockpit sunshade I had made for my boat. Primarily use it on anchor/mooring so it's protected from the wind by the house structure. It's held up with 2 aluminum poles that fit into rod holders. Forward end attached with a keder strip to underside of bridge. It's super stable.

For fabric my guy recommended WeatherMax. In 4 years of use it's been very durable. And it's surprisingly waterproof. I will leave it up with light rain showers and it sheds/beads rain easily. I'm very happy with it.

I owned a sailboat and a Sailrite sewing machine for years... and used to do all of our Sunbrella, interior and exterior upholstery work.

You might want to research Phifertex: it comes in 70% sun shade and 90% sun shade. It is designed for these types of applications that you're talking about... so it might be a good fit. I used the 90% shade and could still see out from it, and it shielded people from seeing in. And it offered great sun protection for being a mesh.

https://www.sailrite.com/Fabric-Brands/Phifertex

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom