Westerbeke 3 cylinder generator repair

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You may also want to check the frequency of the 158-VAC.
The engine speed determines that.
At 60-hrz you should also have 120-VAC

:socool:

If I remember right, adjusting the stop solenoid changes the run speed.

Get the manual and stop guessing!
158 volts is way way out.
Verify the engine speed with a photo tach before you touch the governor! It should be 1800 rpm +\- a couple. Engine speed directly affects frequency. A few hertz off will burn up anything with a coil in it. Both speed AND voltage must be in spec.

From page 40 of the Service manual:

ADJUSTING NO-LOAD ENGINE SPEEDS
To adjust the engine speed on a generator, adjust the linkage
between the throttle arm and the fuel run solenoid. Shortening the linkage increases the engine speed. Lengthening the
linkage reduces the engine speed.
NOTE: This adjustment is performed with the engine operating and at normal operations temperature, with no amperage
being taken from the generator. See the chart below:
GENERATOR MODELS NO-LOAD SPEED (rpm)
60 hertz models 1850 - 1880 (61.5 - 62.0 hertz)

NOTE: Any adjustment of the throttle on a generator is done
only with the linkage between the fuel solenoid and the
throttle lever.

Last edited:
i found it in the manuel trying to post it here but it wont. Your right it says to adjust it by the stop solenoid.

i tried to lengthen the rod thing but can't figure out how to make it longer yet. To bad they can't just tell you in the manuel . :dance:

I don’t have and RPM gauge on there for the generator. Have not a clue. Just got to figure out how to make the little rod longer but making sure that the solenoid is bottoming out. As the manual says.

I don’t have and RPM gauge on there for the generator. Have not a clue. Just got to figure out how to make the little rod longer but making sure that the solenoid is bottoming out. As the manual says.
You will need to get a photo tach or frequency meter eventually or risk burning everything up. A rebuilt generator end is about 2 grand. A photo tach is about $38 on Amazon. Your choice.:banghead:

I believe you adjust the RPM by loosening to the two bolts that hold that plate on and move the whole plate.

You do have to be careful that the rod hasn't moved so much that it no longer bottoms out when the engine is running.

Before you start messing with it, you need to confirm rpm or Hz and actual output terminal voltage with a DVM. Starting to mess with it could make things worse.

Unusual for that machine to make more volts than normal, but it is possible. Unusual for rpms to be high (and that can cause high volts), but that too is possible.

You need to buy/borrow/steal a digital volt meter (best if shows Hz), and if no Hz setting, you need a phototach.

Adjusting things before you actually know what it is doing is not the right way to sort this.

I have a digital voltage meter. That’s how I found out that it’s putting out 153 volts.

ADJUSTING NO-LOAD ENGINE SPEEDS
To adjust the engine speed on a generator, adjust the linkage
between the throttle arm and the fuel run solenoid. Shortening the linkage increases the engine speed. Lengthening the
linkage reduces the engine speed.
NOTE: This adjustment is performed with the engine operating and at normal operations temperature, with no amperage
being taken from the generator. See the chart below:
GENERATOR MODELS NO-LOAD SPEED (rpm)
60 hertz models 1850 - 1880 (61.5 - 62.0 hertz)

NOTE: Any adjustment of the throttle on a generator is done
only with the linkage between the fuel solenoid and the
throttle lever.
So that’s what it supposed to be set at?
Rpm 1850-1880 and 61.5-62.0 hertz?

Yep, unloaded around 1850 and around 62Hz.

Thank you. I got it running 61.5 herz but will speed it up a hair to 62.

Didn’t know how hard that was. Messed with it and hour and Finley got it on 61.7 herz and then tighten it up and it was back on 58.7 herz. Crazy Really touchy. Sucks.

Definitely has a sweet spot and can’t believe it’s that critical. Anything could change your RPM that much and mess it up.

Depending on load, that thing will range from 58 to 62Hz. It is absolutely fine in that range. Or even a little outside of that range.

Some volt meters will measure nominal the voltage on the line .

Others will lock on and display the peak voltage , which on a 120v system might be 158v as the AC swings following its sine wave.

Frequency is a good measure of RPM.

Westerbeke 6kw same issues

Did you time the camshaft right?

Put your hand over the intake and roll the starter, it should suck strong. If it blows out, cam is timed wrong.

I still can't get my 6kw started, same issues. How do you change/set timing? Engine won't fire even with ether.

Mine wouldn't fire at all until I got it fuel or diesel. I kept messing with it and all along it was the enjection pump and got it rebuilt and it wasn't cheap either. $450 later and running like a champ.:banghead:

Do you have the manuel? Someone on here sent it to me.I have it and have another generator that I took out of there. It was froze up so found another one.6.5 Kw but the old one had the generator winding on the side so just the motor with a belt to the generator sort to speak.

Mine wouldn't fire at all until I got it fuel or diesel. I kept messing with it and all along it was the enjection pump and got it rebuilt and it wasn't cheap either. $450 later and running like a champ.:banghead:

Thanks for the reply. I know I need the pump rebuilt but I thought that using ether I would at least get it to pop/fire or show some sign of life. Any engine with air, fuel compression etc. It appears that om getting puffs of smoke out of the intake. Shouldn't be anything coming out, I don't think. I'm concerned that a pump rebuild may not be the only problem and $500 build cost will be money not well spent. Did you do anything else to yours? Also did you test compression? Thanks again.

You can do a "redneck" compression test by putting a socket wrench on crank pulley nut and rotating engine clockwise by hand. You should feel a "hard spot" due to compression every 240deg (three per two turns). If it is easy to turn over, you don't have enough compression to fire.

Ether is not good for these, but if does not kick with ether you probably have sticky rings or corroded valves. Take rocker cover off and look for rust on valve hardware. If rusted up there, water got in and you have a mess.

Glow plugs working?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom