West System for finish, Why Not

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

apagano

Veteran Member
I was experimenting with some teak, sanded down to bare wood and applied West System epoxy 105 resin with hardener and it looks great ! So the obvious question is why not? I know it cant be that easy other wise all would be applying resin.

Thanks

Epoxy won't survive UV exposure. So it has to have something over it, otherwise the coating will fail.

Yep, 105 even if you use the UV resistant harder (can't remember the #) will not hold up in UV. I've tried it, failed in a couple years.

In the boatyard I use, some of the fiberglass work boats with wood cabin doors have been coated with West system and then over coated with automotive clearcoat. The combination seems to hold up well for 7 to 10 years.

Ted

Apply a varnish of your choice, start with 3-5 coats.

When I did varnishing for a living, I started with 2 coats of West w/special clear hardener. Then about 3 coats of a varnish with good UV blocking. It gives that 12 coat deep look without the 12 coats.
But if you're talking about teak decking, unless you include some clear sand in the last coat, with water it gets slick.

I understand all the witches brews from the past but in present modern times I would just use Awlwood or Perfection Plus. Both look good and last 7+ years. One is two single parts added separate and one is a two part mix with single application. Sure beats trying to mix two parts and then adding it to a two part application like epoxy and varnish.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom