Weaver pad problem...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ancora

Guru
The Weaver pads on my PVC dinghy are separating from the dinghy. What glue should I use to stop the separation?

Attachments

• Weaver Pads 001 (1280x960).jpg
    Weaver Pads 001 (1280x960).jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 92
  • Weaver Pads 002 (1280x960).jpg
    Weaver Pads 002 (1280x960).jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 92
What did you use originally ? West Marine has glue for both types of dinghy material that works well with the proper prep.

You should call Weaver and talk to them. In fact you should email them that picture.
My guess is they will tell you to remove the pad completely and reinstall it with their glue following their directions. Their glue is very good and they are really nice folks.

Remove pads with acetone ,scuff up the PVC glue pad on with with weavers PVC glue. Let cure for a couple of days before using. Heat will sometimes soften the glue bond causing the failure. If you live in a hot climate you'll have move to somplace very cold. LP mk. Just joking!

With just the partial separation I would also be inclined to give the 4200 a try and consider it a temporizing fix and take what mileage it gives me, knowing that the real fix will likely be necessary at some time with complete removal and re-glue using a new pad and the 2 part glue recommended with proper preparation of the surface and in the proper humidity conditions.

When it comes to cementing on dinghy's, it's all about the surface preparation. Talk to your dinghy manufacture. The material it is made of dictates the glue.
Don't use 4200. Now you have two problems.

Don't use 4200. You need to remove the pad, re-prep and re-glue with the weaver adhesive for PVC. I'm facing the same task only with Hypalon.

I've have the same problem on our Walker Bay. It's PVC. Watching to see how this one plays out. I do know Walker Bay or Weaver sell a kit to R&R the pads for both Hypalon & PVC.

What glue should I use to stop the separation?
Agree w others
..use the right glue from weaver.
They are helpful if you call. They will send half orders if you ask...plenty to do just pads.
Don

E-mailed Weaver and got an instant reply. They recommend using PolyMarine adhesive to fix the problem.

ancora - saw your picture and thought you'd swiped my inflatable. Exact same problem with mine. You might want to check how your inflatable rides when underway. Some careful checking on mine while underway showed a bit of torquing at the davit - a combination of the position of the cleat on the inflatable plus wind pressure apparently causes mine to overstress the glue joint on the upper edge of the cleat.

I'm going to adjust the position on mine. After all of the cautions Weaver provides with it's proprietary adhesive (the one I remember most is to not use the adhesive near water) - they suggest use off the shelf adhesive from West. The Weaver guys are great.

Anyway, thanks for solving my problem for me. I love TF.

I read that a heat gun played over the pad will pop the pad right off. Can also be used to remove handles and D-ring pads and anything else glued on.

Had this problem last year you must use a 2 part glue clean and sand both sides wipe down with acetone . I purchased a Quicksilver inflatable boat 2 pak repair kit it takes 500ml to do both and need 2 coats on both sides before sticking them together then ad a little heat

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom