Old 04-04-2019, 02:53 PM   #1

City: Oak Island, NC
Vessel Name: Pawseidon
Vessel Model: Navigator 4600
Carpet cleaning?

Our new to us boat has carpet throughout. We're not fans of carpet but it's still in good shape so we will keep it for a couple more years before we swap it out for hard flooring. My question is what is the best way to give it a good cleaning? Do you rent one of the bulky rental seam cleaners? These are good for large areas but would likely be a pain to maneuver into all the corners, steps and hallways in a boat. Any suggestions?Thanks!
Woodstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 02:59 PM   #2
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. W. IF the carpets are not able to be removed, I would get a commercial carpet cleaning company to come aboard and do them. They have much better equipment than what you can rent and will most probably leave much less residual water behind. They may have to use their upholstery "wands" for the corners to get best cleaning. Interestingly, I've compared and by the time you rent the equipment, buy the chemicals and put your back out, it's pretty close to the same $$ AND you don't have a pile of expen$ive chemicals left over that you don't know what to do with.
Old 04-04-2019, 02:59 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Personally I would get a company like Stanley Steemer to come clean the carpet. They have long hoses and probably will be able to reach the boat. My neighbor does floor maintenance and does boat carpets. Looks really great when he is done. He also has a steam hose that he cleaned my bilge with. Got all the old oil and crap out. The machine has a suction so it cleans with steam and then sucks up the residue so it does not stay in the bilge or get pumped overboard. It got the little nooks and crannies clean too.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 09:26 PM   #4

City: Cruising North Towards Boston
Vessel Name: Lemon Drops
Vessel Model: 2001 Grand Banks Europa 52
Hi there,

We have the Big Green Machine for our home and it works great. We bought it at Amazon. We use it on the Mainship 430 one a year (maybe twice) and it has proven it's value along with the annual cleaning at the home. We have used Stanley Steamer at the home and not been impressed. Yes, it's a PITA to move around, but if you have the time, you will be sure to clean the areas they way you want.

Understanding this may not be for everyone, but I am particular about carpets and carpet cleaning and this Green Machine works for us.

Hope this helps.

Jim
jimL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 10:44 PM   #5

City: Tri-Cities WA
Vessel Name: Long Shot
Vessel Model: 1978 Californian 42' LRC
+1 for the Bissel Big Green Machine.
Within six months it has already earned it's keep around the house. It's small and light enough to get onto the boat single handed. Looking forward to giving the carpet and fabrics a deep cleaning in a couple of weeks.

Please throw me the bowline Fraulein!
Aft Deck Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 08:27 AM   #6

City: Watch Hill RI
Vessel Name: Puffin
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 32/34
Simple carpet cleaning for us is to use a bucket of water and some Pine-sol or Lestoil type cleaners (mostly amonia based). Slop it on the carpet and brush it in, then soak up all the dirt and water with a shop vac, then another rinse and vac with fresh water. Best to do this on a warmish sunny day where you can let it air dry for a while. We use "Resolve" spray for spot cleaning.
Puffin_NT32 is offline   Reply With Quote