Water tight cables

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Forkliftt

Guru
Vessel Name
KnotDoneYet
Vessel Make
1983 42' Present Sundeck
Hey guys,
I need a smart way of dealing a few of these "cables through holes" to keep rain out of radar arch. Has anybody come up with an idea on this that doesn't involve "get in your truck, drive to West Marine..."
I also need to seal it today so no time to order parts.
Of course, I can rely my trusty old 5200 like a real man if that's the best idea. ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1430337073.144592.jpg

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Greetings,
Mr. F. Whoa man! 5200? Might as well use silicone toilet caulk...NOPE! Have you got any butyl tape on board? That stuff sticks pretty well. If you get a plastic water bottle cap or larger, drill a hole (wire size) in the middle of the cap and cut a slit from the edge of the cap to the hole. Put the cap on the wire, cavity towards arch, put a generous gob of butyl in the cap, pack it around the wire really well and push the cap over the hole, smushing the cap down well. Trim the excess where the cap meets the arch and put a glop around where the wire exits the cap. 5200....INDEED!
Of course there's always WM for something like this...

2000x2800-0-0-280x392-cft_259_art.jpg

http://www.procom.dk/products/marine-antennas/accessories/accessories/cft-259

Last edited:
In addition the one RT referenced, you can also use a clam shell type cover. We have both. If in a hurry, you could pack it with butyl tape as RTF mentioned, till you can get to WM.

Sea-Dog Clamshell Midget Vent

Attachments

• 006a.jpg
    006a.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Plus 5200 is not UV resistant and will shortly break down from sun exposure.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
Capt. Don

Thanks Larry, that's a clean look too but my trouble is on the top flat portion.
We're gonna mail the award to RTF and use the Butyl tape (thanks again Al) I have on board. I use it for bedding screws, etc.
Didn't think it would be pliable enough for an application like this. But coming from the good Mr RT it leaves no doubt of success in this endevour.....

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Greetings,
Mr. F. Hope it works and an award? Aw, thanks....just glad I could help.

bertz.gif

Mr. I has a valid point. You're going to have to go to WM sometime but your parameters were...not driving and something you had on the boat...Adapt, improve, move on.

Last edited:
Do it right the first time.

Attachments

• clam.jpg
    clam.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 268
Anybody have a picture of Butyl Tape?
I have never heard of it.
Sounds like something to keep on board.

Butyl tape! Forklift, I thought you were a real man, not girly like RTF.:D
Actually not a bad idea for this application. As soon as you can, get one of those Blue Sea things that Isequent recommended.

Yes- Parks. I will have to leave the boat sometime as I am running low on limes.... ;)
Great ideas for the "final" repair. Thanks all-

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

"I am running low on limes..."
If you're running low on limes, you better check the level in the gin tank.

How about a PVC pipe cap? You can get them in any size, put a hole in the side and seal it. Clean looking.

Attachments

• pvc cap.jpg
    pvc cap.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 159
Back
Top Bottom