Water soluble degreasers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dwk

Vessel Name
Patty Ann
Vessel Make
Mainship 34 MK1 1980
What water soluble degreasers have folks used to clean engines? Our Perkins needs a bit of cleaning,not terrible,mostly modest soot from the minor exhaust failure of turbo pot. Mr Google lists plenty of choices and wondering what products members are friendly with.You folks love photos…replacement turbo pot.

Attachments

• 25EF87A0-5EC3-434B-B996-8C57E2B90E87.jpg
    25EF87A0-5EC3-434B-B996-8C57E2B90E87.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 21
I like “oil eater” not sure if it’s in your area or not.
Everyone will have a different opinion on this. Interested to hear them all.

One of the most available and most underrated degreasers is dish soap. Made to cut grease and does so really well, and no issues with fumes etc. A bucket of dish soap solution and a brush is my go-to for many of these jobs.

Another favorite, when it is needed/appropriate, is Simple Green in a spray bottle.

I am a fan of Simple Green, especially the industrial strength in the gallon size.
D-Limonene is a very powerful water soluble degreaser available in
many products, including 100% pure. It is made from citrus peels
and has a lovely orange scent!

Last edited:
Try Extreme Simple Green. It is great. I use it full strength on heavy grease and dilute it 1-1 for less grease.

Dawn dish washing detergent is my go to hand cleaner and bilge cleaner.

Tide liquid laundry detergent does a good job also.

Ted

+1 for dishwashing liquid. I used Morning Fresh here when I got the bucket vs oil tank equation wrong and was amazed at how easily it all cleaned up ��

Dawn, simple green and Krud Kutter are all good.
We have a garbage truck that works our street. It sometimes liberates hydraulic fluid on asphalt roads. A Dawn soak works.

+1 for Dawn. Good enough for the Exxon oil spill.

Dawn does a good job but it can create a lot of suds that then have to be cleaned up. I spray Extreme Simple Green on with a garden sprayer, scrub with a brush and then spray water with another garden sprayer to rinse off the crap. Then vacuum it up with a shop vac, diesel engines only. With the ESG it doesn’t make much suds so it is easier to get it rinsed off and vacuumed up.

Back
Top Bottom