Water Heaters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ray.Yager

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
MV RADIANT
Vessel Make
1991 Carver Californian MY 4809
It’s time to research a replacement for my old Raritan 1700 series, 20 gal, hot water tank. Just trying to be proactive.

The Raritan has a glass lined steel tank, while most of the others (Kuuma, Isotemp, Seaward) all have aluminum tanks. The
Raritan has a 1250 watt element while some of the others have less, but Seaward has 1500 watts. I’m looking at units w/o heat exchangers.

Anyone have an opinion?

I'm happy with the Isotemp I installed a few months ago. Stainless tank and very well insulated (much better than the previous Raritan heater). It came with a 750w element but I bought and installed the optional 1200w one for faster heating.

I was happy with my Raritan, so I replaced it with the same during my refit, assuming it would outlive my ownership.

Ted

The 20 gallon Rartan unit on our boat still works fine after 32 years. I'll replace it with a Raritan when/if the time comes.

If a new Raritan has the plumbing in the same place then stick with it. It will save a ton of frustration of having to replumb the water lines.

My 12 gal. Raritan is original to the boat, 45 yrs ago.

Shows no sign yet of leaking.

I know I will need to replace it at some point of course, unless it me that is replaced first.

Pretty hard to beat that Raritan although who knows if the next ones life will be the same.

The engine heats the tank, the electric element simply plugs the hole.

Isotemp here. Replaced a leaky Raritan 7 years ago. Mine has the heat exchanger but at the dock or anchored it's 120v. Two people nornal usage with dishes, quick showers, etc.
Repositioning lines is no issue. I used flexible stainless jacketed sink hoses from Ace hardware with ? 1/2" fittings.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom