Old 01-16-2020, 10:26 PM   #21

City: Cortes Island
Vessel Name: Bygone
Vessel Model: 40' TollyCraft Sundeck
Personally have no experience with this. But if it was me I would plug any holes you have made and fill keel back up with soap and water and try to get a low pressure seal with valve. Possibly then you can locate keel delam by moisture or bubbles before any attempt of drying keel.

Need to find the problem first!
Okydowky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 07:28 AM   #22
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Fresh water can find its way into the boat from anchor locker deck hole, leaks in hand rails, engine compartment vents, unnoticed leak if on city water, condensation, leaks in plumbing drain fittings and more depending on the boat.

Granted all are pretty minor but can add up.

If its gallons and fairly rapid, hard to believe just fresh water.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 07:46 AM   #23

City: Cortes Island
Vessel Name: Bygone
Vessel Model: 40' TollyCraft Sundeck
Ps I believe he said his incapsulated keel which is full of lead beads. It should be air tight or have a type of liquid possibly to keep air out which would prevent corrosion.
A bilge is just a bilge to catch what you have noted above like water leaks, and or contain any hazardous spill one may have.
The other thing mentioned he drilled a hole in the bilge.

Just my 2 cents...
Okydowky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 09:29 AM   #24
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Using a shop vac on a confined area you rinsed out with a voluble liquid? Keep all your fire extinguishers near-by.
My 1989 N46 kept the FW in the keel. Material of the FW tank I forgot. Had a major side benefit of being used for ballast
Old 01-17-2020, 11:50 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okydowky View Post
Personally have no experience with this. But if it was me I would plug any holes you have made and fill keel back up with soap and water and try to get a low pressure seal with valve. Possibly then you can locate keel delam by moisture or bubbles before any attempt of drying keel.

Need to find the problem first!
That is a good suggestion. Then proceed with drying it out and repair the leaks.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 01:51 PM   #26

City: Huntington NY
Thank you all for the great replies! Im thinking I wont go crazy trying to dry things out because it probably wont hurt to have a little dampness in there. Based on your feedback, this is what Im thinking:
First pour a few gallons of pink antifreeze into the keel and let it drain out. That way if any liquid remains at least it wont freeze.
Next is to find the source of the leak and attempt to seal it up. Unfortunately, I cant see anything obvious so this may not be easy. But as long as water doesnt fill up beyond the pocket in the deepest part of the keel at the stern where the bilge pump is, there should be no way for water to leak in.
Ill drill one more drain hole in the forward part of the keel and using my shop vac exhaust outlet (which works great to drain my pool pipes), seal the hose around the hole in the bilge, and blow forced air through there to get some circulation and hopefully drain any remaining liquid. Maybe do that a few times on dry days over the summer.
Finally Ill seal everything up and put a drain plug on the side of the keel and check it after the first season in the water. If no water drains out, I should be good.
Beeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 11:05 AM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisjs View Post
I still do not understand how "fresh water " gets into the keel. I kind of get how on a sail boat this might happen with rain water leaking down the mast nito the bilge and beyond, but on a power boat??
I had water in my keel on my Albin. Not discovered during the purchase survey.
I drilled and tapped a drain under the point of the keel where the water was leaking out. Installed it before the boat was launched that spring, and removed every haul out for about 4 years when nothing else came out.

I was able to locate the source of the leak. It was from oem installed bilge pumps. One screw on each pump penetrated the bilge right at the low point.
It was an easy fix to glass up all the holes. I mounted the bilge pumps from the top so no more possible leaks from that cause.

New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 01:23 PM   #28
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
Don’t overthink this issue, it really doesn’t need all that effort to get it dry...mine was never bone dry and she is still chugging about out there 12 years later. I see her most summers.
Old 01-24-2020, 02:55 PM   #29
Veteran Member

City: Wildwood NJ
Vessel Name: Lit'l Bee
Vessel Model: Mainship 350 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeliner View Post
Kept finding a small puddle of water in the bilge area and just found it's been seeping out from the encapsulated keel. I cut a hole in the bilge floor and it's filled solid with lead chucks and pellets, with fresh water mixed in right up to the top. So I drilled a 1/4" hole in the bottom of the keel and gallons of water drained out. Really glad I found this and was able to drain the water, but need some suggestions on how to dry it out. I was thinking to pour some acetone in there and let it drain a few times. Anyone else have another solution? Heat, a vacuum, etc? Or just let it dry by itself? I wont be launching the boat for another year so it can bake over the summer.
Once shes blocked water in the keel would escape from a fracture or point of leakage- maybe seal that drain hole and fill er up from the inside: No leak at the keel would be good news and you could focus elsewhere
McDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 02:56 PM   #30
Veteran Member

City: Wildwood NJ
Vessel Name: Lit'l Bee
Vessel Model: Mainship 350 Trawler
Water also comes out where it goes in....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeliner View Post
Kept finding a small puddle of water in the bilge area and just found it's been seeping out from the encapsulated keel. I cut a hole in the bilge floor and it's filled solid with lead chucks and pellets, with fresh water mixed in right up to the top. So I drilled a 1/4" hole in the bottom of the keel and gallons of water drained out. Really glad I found this and was able to drain the water, but need some suggestions on how to dry it out. I was thinking to pour some acetone in there and let it drain a few times. Anyone else have another solution? Heat, a vacuum, etc? Or just let it dry by itself? I wont be launching the boat for another year so it can bake over the summer.
Once shes blocked water in the keel would escape from a fracture or point of leakage- maybe seal that drain hole and fill er up from the inside: No leak at the keel would be good news and you could focus elsewhere
McDan is offline   Reply With Quote