Watch the AC intake thru-hull, valve and hoses

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mule

Guru
Vessel Name
Florita Ann
Vessel Make
1982 Present
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1424799022.547694.jpg

This is a 40+ Gulf Star that wend down Sunday night. Sitting on bottom. Unusually low tide...Real shame.

Yep, it is that time of year. We usually loose at least one boat per season as the temps rise back above freezing. Owners fail to winterize, let alone close thru hulls. Strainers/blocks freeze but until it melts there is no sign anything is wrong. The owner of one of the boats that sunk last spring was surprised becuase he had a bilge heater . . . that was in the cabin.:facepalm:

High water alarms can help but only if there is someone to hear them or someone to do something about it.

Years ago we pulled into a small marina in Hampton, Va for the night. About 2:00 in the morning the high water alarm started going off on an adjacent and unoccupied boat. We were probably the only occupied boat in the marina.

I couldn't sleep so I got up to investigate. The boat was down about 6" but didn't seem to be taking on water fast. There was no one at the marina and no emergency phone number available. So I called the cops on my cell.

A few minutes later the cops showed up at the marina's gate but couldn't get in because it was locked. I had a conversation with them over the fence. They didn't have any way to get in touch with the marina's management either. We both decided to say f$#@ it.

The alarm stopped an hour later (maybe the battery ran down) and I got to sleep. We left early the next morning so I don't know what the outcome was but I left a message on their machine about the alarm. At least the boat was still floating when I left.

David

High water alarms can help but only if there is someone to hear them or someone to do something about it.

That kind of goes without saying.

But your chances of somebody noticing your boat is sinking go way up if you at least have an alarm.

Some people hang a sign on the boat if it's unattended with contact information on it in the event the alarm goes off. You can go so far as to note on the sign if someone hears the alarm and can't reach anyone they should feel free to break into the boat to investigate the cause. A broken window is cheaper than a flooded boat.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom