Originally Posted by Solly
Capt. Tom How did you get the last plank into the J channel on the hatches ?
Yes, this was a problem. I fastened three sides with carpet tacks and liquid nails adhesive, then slid in the flooring. The last piece I just squirted the liquid nails in there under it and put some weigh on it for a couple of days. I used a long piece of 2x6 or something, piled up with heavy stuff, to keep it pressed evenly down the whole time.
This is at least the third time the sole has been replaced. The PO used square adhesive vinyl, and both the adhesive and the tile failed. I tried the adhesive backed planks and had the same result. I'm hoping the third time (and click-together) is the charm. Time will tell.
FYI, I only did the J-channel around the hatches, not the edges. The flooring is supposed to be cut shy of the walls (bulkheads, in this case) to leave room for expansion. Traditionally, you cover the gap with quarter-round, or base molding. And the edging doesn't give you much room; mine is maybe a quarter-inch wide. Not much room for error or expansion/contraction.