Old 07-14-2018, 09:37 AM   #1
Guru

City: Marion, Massachusetts
Vessel Name: Wanderer
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
Enclosure leak

I have an enclosed after deck with clear plastic surrounded by white Naugahyde. Water is getting in somehow at the seam of the clear plastic and Naugahyde, and sits in the bottom of the enclosure. Quite a bit accumulates

What is the best way to deal with this? Try to seal the seam, or put a drain(s) in the bottom of the unit? I am worried about a hole as then I might have a hole getting larger problem, and sealing the seam is good on theory, but what is a reliable method?

John
PMF1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 11:17 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
I don’t usually have a problem with seams leaking. But if I think that there may be a problem then I use seam stick tape in between the eisenglass and the canvas. Unfortunately this is only a solution at the time of making the panel. A photo of what you are talking about might help.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 02:04 PM   #3
Guru

Dave,

That bulge at the bottom is water.

John
Attached Thumbnails
0714181448-s.jpg  
Old 07-14-2018, 02:32 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
It looks like there is a backing piece on the inside that is trapping the water. Does any come inside the boat? If not and it is just inside the bottom of the panel between the backing and the outside canvas, you might just put a small drain hole in the bottom of the backing so the water can drain out.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 02:36 PM   #5
Guru

So the curtains are double sided. There is a pathway on the inside for the water to get in, but the pathway is on the inside and these don't leak. Except for the water into the curtain.
Old 07-14-2018, 03:11 PM   #6
Guru

City: gulf coast
Clean out the joint with the window and run a tiny bead of clear silicone in the seam. drain that pouch.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 01:03 AM   #7

City: Babylon N.Y.
Vessel Name: Goin'Coastal
Vessel Model: 40ft Kha Shing Spindrift Trawler
If your intending to keep the canvas (or boat) do it right and bring that picture and just that Curtin to a Canvas Maker and have it fixed properly instead of making holes or anything else. There just to expensive to mess around with...trust me I've been there Sir. It shouldn't cost much to just to have it fixed property ....down the road it will be worth it and you'll have no regrets. Just my thoughts from experience, im Best of Luck with it Sir !!
cjg1404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 05:50 AM   #8
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Wow... never saw anything like that. Can you post a pic of the inside that shows how the 2 layers and window are mated.

You or a shop may be able to modify the inside to eliminate the catch point.
If you do go the drain hole approach I would consider doing it on the inside panel only. Out of sight and less likely to be an issue in future and the drainage would still be to outside of boat.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 06:15 AM   #9
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Wow... never saw anything like that. Can you post a pic of the inside that shows how the 2 layers and window are mated.

You or a shop may be able to modify the inside to eliminate the catch point.
If you do go the drain hole approach I would consider doing it on the inside panel only. Out of sight and less likely to be an issue in future and the drainage would still be to outside of boat.
+1
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 07:37 AM   #10
Veteran Member

City: FORT LAUDERDALE,FL
Vessel Name: ARIE
Vessel Model: 2000 43ft SELENE/SOLO
Remove side curtain, "bunch up" the two sides of the "naugahide" and poke a hole in the inside layer with a soldering iron. this will leave a hole with the edges sealed by heat and will drain any water getting in through the seam where the clear vinyl is sewn between the two layers of "naugahide".
MERIDIAN 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 09:56 AM   #11
Guru

City: gulf coast
That is probably Weblon not Naugahyde, Naugas have been extinct for decades.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 10:04 PM   #12
Veteran Member

City: Virginia
Vessel Name: Buoy Scout
Vessel Model: Tiara 3700 Open
I hate to say it, but whoever made that enclosure is amateurish at best. The sewing job is poor and the construction is wrong.

I'm going to guess the PO made that him/herself.
sawdustdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 03:07 PM   #13
Veteran Member

SAWDUSTDAD, If you would like, I can send you the name and address of the vessel manufacturer, and you could discuss your opinions with them.
They have been in business for many, many years and have produced many high end custom boats.
Old 07-25-2018, 05:46 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain465 View Post
SAWDUSTDAD, If you would like, I can send you the name and address of the vessel manufacturer, and you could discuss your opinions with them.
They have been in business for many, many years and have produced many high end custom boats.
If that is original mfg. canvas, that's a shame. Their canvas shop sucks. I don't care who they are or how "high end" their boats are. That sewing job is crap.

Why do you think it is holding water? Is that what it's supposed to do?

And why are you getting your panties in a wad? It's not your boat.
Old 07-26-2018, 06:43 AM   #15
Veteran Member

No, it's not my boat, but I have a sistership that is three years older, with the same canvas setup. The canvas on the OP's boat is 31 years old, and mine is 34 years old. I don't know why your eagle eye did not see that. Is the canvas on your boat anywhere near that old? How many boats do you know of that has canvas that last for 30+ years? I think I would prefer longer lasting canvas over fancy stitchwork.
It was the tone of your post. and the derogatory comment that gets my "panties in a wad". Why are you on this forum anyway? Your boat does not look like a trawler to me.
Old 07-26-2018, 07:45 AM   #16
Guru

Ahem, one of my objectives in joining TF is to be a recipient of the constructive criticism that I find so valuable when faced with a new to me problem. The maintenance forums are a must for someone like me as they are an opportunity for me to ask a world wide group about how to address problems with my boat. In the old days I would have been limited to the local marina hangers-on.

To sawdust dad I will say that your post would have been welcome and helpful if you had pointed out the technical aspects of my enclosure that could be improved, or avoided by future folks.

As for my enclosures, I did use a small soldering iron to make very small holes on the inside of the curtains, then cleaned with SprayNine. Finished with some 210 cleaner on the acrylic.

And I am an environmentally aware citizens and the implication that I am responsible for the extinction of the Naugas is a spurious falsehood. They were already dead when I skinned them.

Finally to captain465, yes the Pilgrims are great boats.
Old 07-26-2018, 08:07 AM   #17
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. PMF. Well said sir! In the diplomatic core are you?
Old 07-26-2018, 08:33 AM   #18
Guru

Just to follow up... this is an actual photo of the last known Nauga. This photo was taken moments before her death, at a Costco in Mobile, Alabama, standing in front of the battery section.

In trying to reconstruct the events that led to her death, investigators determined she was trying to determine which of the batteries was a true deep cycle type, and fell dead in a state of confusion and despair. Two of the investigators were also seriously injured.

Initial reports that the stitching and design of her clothing was responsible for her demise proved to be a false lead.

(well it's my thread, so...)
Attached Thumbnails
Nauga.jpg  
Old 07-26-2018, 07:36 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMF1984 View Post
To sawdust dad I will say that your post would have been welcome and helpful if you had pointed out the technical aspects of my enclosure that could be improved, or avoided by future folks.

Finally to captain465, yes the Pilgrims are great boats.
Good point. My apologies to the OP if my comments came across as harsh. That was not my intent. Just a hurried reply.

For one, there is no need for the two layers of material. Seam seal tape should have been used in the windows and zippers if double layers are required for some reason, and provision for drainage should have been provided. Also, the piping along the edges is probably a contributing factor to water retention. The problem is that mold will grow inside and there is little that you can do about it. Double layers is to be avoided.

No critique of Pilgrims as a quality boat. But canvas is wrong, regardless. Every boat has its flaws, no? Pointing them out doesn't disqualify the boat.

And Captain465, I didn't see in the registration process a requirement to currently be a trawler owner. Did I miss that?
Old 07-26-2018, 08:51 PM   #20
Guru

City: Chicago/Montrose Harbor
Vessel Name: Sea Jay
Vessel Model: Non Trawler ;-) Ask me if it matters LOL
I’m wondering if you might put some weak white vinegar solution into that void to kill anything that might be lurking
Gmarr is offline   Reply With Quote