Old 06-09-2018, 07:01 PM   #21

City: Portland
Vessel Name: Life's a Wave
Vessel Model: 1978 Marine Trader
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
We are all thinking it is a Vapor detecter based upon Lifeisawave comment.

Because there is no gas onboard, other things.
How often does this alarm?

Seldom is there alarm associated with the bilge pump starting and stopping. Usually it is a high water alarm and not all boats have a high water alarm.
Worth checking the bilges for water.
Things that might contribute to water in the bilges include A/C condensates drains, if they do not drain overboard directly.

My AT did not come with high water alarm. I installed one in each compartment (4) plus a bilge pump counter at the helm station.
The high water alarm is a 4 inch bell that will wake the dead.
There is no propane on board and the boat is diesel, so it wouldn't be a gasoline detector.

The alarm seems to only go off when it's hot out. When the temperature is in the 80s or 90s. Sometimes it starts and then stops by the time we get down into the engine room and try to figure it out. Other times it goes off and keeps going off until we disconnect the batteries.

There's no high water and the bilge pump appears to be working fine. There's actually less water than there usually is.

The biggest problem is that we can't figure out where the alarm is coming from. It sounds like it's coming from under the stove, but we already thought that that might be a problem and disconnected all the wires to the stove. And, since we can't find the location of the alarm, we can't trace it back to the source. So, we don't know exactly what the alarm is for, where it is, or how to fix it. It just vaguely sounds like it's coming from under the stove and is incredibly obnoxious. It used to go off every once in a while, but lately it's been going off every day. Sometimes several times a day.
Lifeisawave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 09:04 PM   #22
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. L. I'm getting a very slight sense of frustration here.

I can empathize. Get yourself a stethoscope and listen under, over, and all around where you think the source is. Inside and outside the saloon/galley as well. You may be able to triangulate the location.

Have you taken drawers out and emptied cupboards to either find the alarm or narrow down your aural clues?

Is there any sort of ducting in the area that might be telegraphing the alarm from a remote location to where you suspect it is (under the stove). Under the stove stove strongly suggest somewhere along the overhead in the ER.
Old 06-10-2018, 06:54 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. L. I'm getting a very slight sense of frustration here.

I can empathize. Get yourself a stethoscope and listen under, over, and all around where you think the source is. Inside and outside the saloon/galley as well. You may be able to triangulate the location.

Have you taken drawers out and emptied cupboards to either find the alarm or narrow down your aural clues?

Is there any sort of ducting in the area that might be telegraphing the alarm from a remote location to where you suspect it is (under the stove). Under the stove stove strongly suggest somewhere along the overhead in the ER.
Haha yes. Sorry, it was amusing a month ago, it's not quite so fun now

There are no alarms in the galley and it sounds like it's coming from the engine room. I took some pictures last time it went off. Maybe someone can see something that we're not...?

I've got the non-working stove, under the stove, around to the batteries, and in the cabinet next to the stove. Although, all of the wires in the cabinet next to the stove appear to go into the wall connected to the bathroom, not into the stove.
Attached Thumbnails
20180610_162321.jpg   20180610_162357.jpg   20180610_162450.jpg   20180610_162535.jpg   20180610_162553.jpg  

20180610_162630.jpg  
Old 06-10-2018, 07:42 PM   #24
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Alarm from the water softener? Low on salt?

I do see a lot of wires that need to be secured with wire ties.
Dont hang anything from the wires. It can put a strain on connections.
Old 06-12-2018, 06:37 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
Alarm from the water softener? Low on salt?

I do see a lot of wires that need to be secured with wire ties.
Dont hang anything from the wires. It can put a strain on connections.
You're completely right! It was the water softener! We kept looking at the electrical and hitting a dead end. We never even thought to look at the water system. Thank you so much!!

The previous owner did all of the wiring and didn't document anything. Half of the wires don't even connect to anything. It's a mess. We've been dealing with the electrical on the galley, but haven't had the time to do the engine room yet. You can see why.
Old 06-12-2018, 06:44 PM   #26
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. L. Heartiest congratulations and a big "Atta Boy" for Mr OD. Water softener? Holy cow! THAT would have been my last guess...Correction I NEVER would have thought of that. Who in the heck puts a water softener on a boat?

Ya, I know someone with hard water but still...
Old 06-12-2018, 07:15 PM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeisawave View Post
You're completely right! It was the water softener! We kept looking at the electrical and hitting a dead end. We never even thought to look at the water system. Thank you so much!!

The previous owner did all of the wiring and didn't document anything. Half of the wires don't even connect to anything. It's a mess. We've been dealing with the electrical on the galley, but haven't had the time to do the engine room yet. You can see why.
If it hadn't been the bag of water softener salt in the picture, I would have never thought or suggested it.
Even a blind pig finds an acorn every now and then.
WHY a water softener on your boat? I have not heard or seen such.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:25 PM   #28
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Battery needs to be secured and covered. Your PO was a real sloppy DIY guy.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 07:49 PM   #29
Guru

When the wife says, she wants a water softener,..... That's how you get a water softener. LOL
Old 06-12-2018, 08:29 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
You can thank the PO for keeping you busy for the foreseeable future.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 01:16 PM   #31

City: Port Orchard, Washington
Vessel Name: Daisy Mae
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3288
This was just a test, wasn't it??

Rich K
Rich K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 09:21 PM   #32

City: Ulmarra,
Vessel Name: Little Eagle
Vessel Model: Brook Marine FACG
All of the above is why I joined this forum.
Great job everyone
Little Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 01:52 AM   #33

City: Greenwell Point
Vessel Name: Suu Kyi
Vessel Model: Custom 40' catamaran
Great thinking, OD! Water softener—who would'a thunk?
Kit_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 06:21 AM   #34
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
In the second picture behind the exhaust hose, looks like daylight showing through the hull side. Might be a failed thru-hull fitting.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 07:08 AM   #35
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit_L View Post
Great thinking, OD! Water softener—who would'a thunk?
Dont give me too much credit. If he had moved the bag of salts, it would have taken all of us a year to figure it out. After all, who has a water softener on a boat. SHRUG.
If I hadn't said something first, someone else would have question the bag of salts and then moved on to the obvious water softener. For me, ...... I would either remove the water softener or permanently defeat that alarm. None of us want that alarm going off in the middle of the night.
Old 06-18-2018, 12:12 PM   #36
Guru

City: Bethesda, MD
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
That wiring is sloppy, all around. Especially that air loop hanging over what look like AC wires. That's bad form. Wire should be secured so it doesn't move. Movement leads to cracks and failed connections.

If you use zip ties take care to get UV-resistant ones as they'll age better. That and don't over-tighten them and cause failures in the insulation around the wires.

Same thing goes for hoses, anything loose enough to move it loose enough to chafe against something. Use padded hangers meant for hoses, not zip ties.

A few hours spent buttoning things up can save you a ton of money later on sudden repairs due to worn-through hoses and wires.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:31 AM   #37

City: Anacortes
Vessel Name: Adelante
Vessel Model: Shin Shing, Eagle 35'
Not trying to add to the wire comments but is that Romex going into a blue outlet box in one of those pics? May want to replace all non stranded wire when you get to that part. And boxes at junctions should be waterproof if in an area that gets wet.
Jbear is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alarm, marine trader, vape fume detector