Transmission Fluid VT555 Cummins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi, Without knowing what transmission you have I can only guess. With a Cummins
triple nickel I'm guessing a twin disc. If memory serves I think they call for a Dexron fluid.
My Velvet Drive trans can run Dexron or 30wt. engine oil .
Hopefully others will chime in with more info.
P.S. get the leak fixed.

My triple nickels are paired with twin disc's 506s
30w or 40w dependent on temp
I run 30w rotella

Hi, Without knowing what transmission you have I can only guess. With a Cummins
triple nickel I'm guessing a twin disc. If memory serves I think they call for a Dexron fluid.
My Velvet Drive trans can run Dexron or 30wt. engine oil .
Hopefully others will chime in with more info.
P.S. get the leak fixed.

Thank you, yes on getting the leak fixed but mechanics are slow and backed up in my neck of the woods. I will check the transmission model next time I am on the boat and post more details.

The only way to know for sure is to confirm the make and model of the gear box. It's also quite common for the required oil type and weight to be right on the data tag on the gear, so check it carefully. Your answer is probably right there hiding in plain sight.

The T.D. gears require 20 wgt. or 30 wgt or 40 wgt depending upon the temperature of the water temp it is operating in and the gears operating temp.

DO NOT USE DEXRON or any ATF. That is my understanding.

Yes, the info should be on the data plate but you can also phone or email them.

I have the V555M which came with the TD. 506. I have used the 30 wgt oil for many years now and the tests come back , no problems,

Last edited:
You are right: it is a 506 - I'll go with your recommendation (ie: 30 Wgt - I am in Northern California with mild winders and cold (but not freezing) waters) - any specific brand you recommend?

Back
Top Bottom