Transducer painting - Pettit 1973

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PJHoffnet

Vessel Name
Changes in L'Attitudes
Vessel Make
1999 Maxum 4100 SCA (not a trawler)
Wasn't sure if this was more appropriate in this forum or the EE&N, so I'll start here.

Finishing up on the hard, replaced xducer and finished bottom painting. I taped off the 'face' of the xducer (rubber part) to prevent any bottom paint getting on it. Will now finish off covering the fairing block with Pettit 1793 transducer paint.

One thing I'm unsure of is whether or not the rubber face of the transducer gets painted (area circled in the image). It would seem to me the answer is no, since it would interfere with the outgoing ping and echo return. If not, then how do I protect this area from growth?

EpOhri4.jpg

Last edited:
Paint is Pettit 1793 ... wrong in title, corrected in post.

If you look around, there water based transducer paints available specifically for painting over the active surface of a transducer without interfering with its functionality.

The same transducer can be installed inside a fiberglass hull, either by epoxy directly on the inner surface of the hull or by immersion in a pipe filled with a light oil. The outer surface of the hull is then painted with whatever anti-fouling paint is appropriate for the location.
So it doesn't seem to matter what goes onto the outer surface of the transducer itself.
I have 2 operational transducers that shoot through the hull, always protected by anti-fouling paint. I get solid returns at depths exceeding any that I am interested in. If I am in water indicated by the chart to exceed 1000' I may not get a return, but always, at 600', my returns agree with the chart.

I used a water based transducer paint on the "active area" a few years ago. No issues. I think it was the "Pettit" product.

Spoke with a tech rep at Airmar and they recommend Prop Speed's Foul Free transducer coating. Put some on this afternoon. All set to finally splash with the exception of cleaning all the 'yard dust' off topside/bridge.

I've been using Pettit's water-based Hydrocoat bottom paint for years, sanding then putting a light coat on the transducer, including the bottom face. No problems. Moved to a fresh water slip 4 years ago, and using cheaper water-based Aquagard. Still no issues.

[emoji106] on the Hydrocoat. The eco version doesn't have copper and is safe to use on everything.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom