Transducer leveling block

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pack Mule

TF Site Team
Vessel Name
Slo-Poke
Vessel Make
Jorgensen custom 44
We just pulled this out yesterday . I want to make some new leveling blocks for inside and out . This one is wood . I have some 5/4 teak I could use but I will have to epoxy two pieces together to get enough thickness . Do you think this will work ok ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 80
Coat out the wood blocks, including the bore, interior and exterior blocks, with epoxy.

I'd make 'em out of solid fiberglass. Not all that much harder to do than shaping the wood. Obviously much harder on the sawblade. Here are a couple pics of a winch base I made a few years ago.

Attachments

• Picture 006.jpg
    Picture 006.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 56
  • Picture 007.jpg
    Picture 007.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 69
  • Picture 008-r.jpg
    Picture 008-r.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 66
  • Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 58
Apparently, replies to posts only let you have four pics. Here's the thing installed.

Attachments

• Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 63
Made the two blocks today .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 140
Epoxy coated one side of each . Hopefully the epoxy will kick later and I can coat the other side tonight

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 149
Marty, looks good. I recommend sanding and applying a second coat of epoxy. Easy to do and obviates the little holes where air has pushed out of the wood. I use triangular-in-cross-section scraps of wood with a bit of masking tape for this sort of work; all surfaces can be coated at once and the little bit of tape that remains stuck to the work sands off readily.

Honestly, you don't need to epoxy coat them at all.

The one on the hull gets protected by the primer and bottom paint. And the inside one stays dry in most cases.

Plus it's teak. And I can't say I've ever seen them rot even if they do get wet.

People with awesome woodworking skills and tools impress the hell out of me.

Here's a dog house I recently built. I thought it turned out pretty well.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1473167080.408262.jpg

?

Lol. I didn't really build that, but my skill level isn't far off.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom