Topside Painting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom.B

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Make
Navigator 4200 Classic
For all their happy attributes, Navigators are not known for their stellar factory paint jobs and Bess and I are considering having the topsides (from rub rail up) professionally repainted. Has anyone ever done this that can share their experience and what we might expect as a per-foot price?

Thanks!

We did it ourselves, can’t quote a price. We love the way the boat looks now.

I did mine also .. watch some videos and give it try .. not that bad to do ...cost of paint and supplies was under 1 k ...

Tom. Well, there's paint jobs and there's paint jobs. My 76 was in advanced stages of gel coat oxidation. Had typical spider cracks and 40 years worth of dings and scratches. The hull gel coat, amazingly, is in great condition. So I was looking for a shearline up paint job.

The local, high quality yards quoted me $1 - 1.2k/ft for fairing and sprayed Awlgrip. These guys are good and produce what I call Ferrari grade paintwork. Beautiful stuff.

I wound up using an independent fellow who rolls & tips. I had the opportunity to watch this guy repaint a 55 cheoy Lee that lives on my pier. They produced a reasonably faired and finished job - in car resto circles what I would call a good "20 foot" finish. Not perfect, but quite presentable. At 2', you can pick it apart on quarter size details.

That ran me $175/ft. The deal was sweetened for me in that my 60 Willys jeep was taken in trade for most of cost.

I rolled and tipped awlgrip... from 10’ away it looks fantastic... that’s with minimal surface prep ... no brush marks ..

First off I'd suggest that you do everything you can to save your gelcoat. No paint will be as tough or durable as gelcoat.
If you're going to paint it's all about your expectations. Will you only be happy with the absolute best or are you ok if it looks good from 20 feet. That will effect your cost by about a factor of 10.

Back
Top Bottom