Old 12-15-2018, 10:28 AM   #21
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Makes a big difference depending on:
1) If you are living aboard and/or cruising full time.
2)where you are cruising
3) where you are on the "marina vs anchor/mooring" scale.
4) your skill set and DIY vs use-a-pro preferences.

We had a lot of tools aboard because the answer to 1 was yes, 2 was we preferred "wilderness" locations, 3 anchored or took moorings as much as possible 4) I don't enjoy, so thus not very good at woodwork, painting, varnishing, fiberglass or canvass work, so had almost no tools on board for any of that (though kept cans of matching coatings). I am happy to do basic engine PM and simple repair, plus plumbing and electrical, so had and lots of that stuff.

The 80-20 rule certainly applied, maybe more like 90-10; but I was sure glad I had a usable tool at hand when I needed it on those somewhat rare occasions. Lots of times when we didn't have to truncate a cruise due to having to get to civilization to fix an issue.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 12:17 PM   #22
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
I have a lot of tools on board and many spare parts. I do not have one location for all my tools and parts. I am a firm believer that if I keep a water pump impeller puller and spare impeller on board I will never have to change it while cruising.

My most common tools live in a bag in a drawer. Under the dinette seats Is a good place to store my less used tools and parts. All my boats have had storage in the flybridge eyebrow. This has also been a good place to store tools and parts.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 11:50 AM   #23
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Shalloway
Vessel Model: Defever 44, twin Perkins
I also have many tools and spare parts on board. I have a plastic toolbox that sits in engine room which contains larger and less often used tools. For "normal use" I found a high quality tool "kit" which contains 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2" drive sets and a set of wrenches all in both metric and SAE. This set covers 99% of whatever I need to do. In addition I have a complete set of electrical tools, various wire and wire fittings. I have a lot of nooks and crannies to store the various items. To keep track of everything and to make sure I HAD what I actually wanted to have I created a spreadsheet which among other things lists all tools and spares and where they are located. Of course the tools I use most often are the most handy.

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 12:04 PM   #24
GMB
Veteran Member

City: East Central Florida
Vessel Name: Joy Shared
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 44 Motor Cruiser
We too have multiple toolbags around the boat. We're fortunate enough to have standing headroom in the ER. I'm thinking of hanging one of these on the aft bulkhead of the ER.
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...0966_200620966
GMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 12:09 PM   #25
Guru

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Lucky Lucky
Vessel Model: Pacific Mariner 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by angus99 View Post
When we bought our Defever, the two house banks (two 8Ds per bank) were in large fiberglass boxes outboard of the mains. I consolidated the batteries (no longer 8Ds) into a single house bank and relocated them aft. I use the boxes to store bulky, infrequently used tools—like bolt cutters, lug tool and die grinder—along with spares. Still looking for a good spot for a regular toolchest.
Angus,

This is definitely a thread drift but perhaps more important than where to store tools. I note the plaque with your documentation number in your engine room. When I was inspected by the CG AUX they pointed out that my documentation number was not preceded by "No." It should read:
"No. 950480." They told me the fine could be as much as $10K. I don't see the logic however I ordered a new plaque.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 12:14 PM   #26
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
Angus,

This is definitely a thread drift but perhaps more important than where to store tools. I note the plaque with your documentation number in your engine room. When I was inspected by the CG AUX they pointed out that my documentation number was not preceded by "No." It should read:
"No. 950480." They told me the fine could be as much as $10K. I don't see the logic however I ordered a new plaque.
Howard, I appreciate the heads-up and definitely will look into it. Sounds like an overzealous bureaucrat, but who knows? I assume a PO installed it and—if it’s a problem—it definitely won’t be the first we inherited.
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 12:18 PM   #27
Guru

City: Trenton
I keep tools and spares under stairways and steps. Also around the outside of drawers in cabinets. This leaves the drawers and cabinets open for clothes, food, utensils and silverware. I just have to remember where I put what tools.
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 06:17 AM   #28
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
One CAUTION when storing tools...
Know where your flux gate compass is located and be careful if locating tool storage anywhere near it.
If in doubt do some before & after checks.
Under fwd steps is handy & out of the way for me but I've had to move tools from there and find other places.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 07:37 AM   #29
Guru

City: Kilmarnock VA
Vessel Name: Wandering Star
Vessel Model: PSN40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
One CAUTION when storing tools...
Know where your flux gate compass is located and be careful if locating tool storage anywhere near it.
If in doubt do some before & after checks.
Under fwd steps is handy & out of the way for me but I've had to move tools from there and find other places.
Don, you beat me to the reminder! I can't remember how many times I've gone aboard owners boats complaining of poor autopilot performance. The first question I ask is "where's your tool box?" Vacuum cleaners are hard on a pilot too...lot's of times they get stored in a cabinet or locker right next to the fluxgate compass.
Old 12-17-2018, 08:50 AM   #30
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
We use the "spread out" approach, and several small boxes. The two in the engine room hold most everything we need down there, and both act as seats. One in the saloon storage is all electrical supplies and tools. Two smaller ones in different saloon storage are hold basic general purpose stuff that I'm likely to need occasionally for above deck projects; one of those is very basic but solves most small chores, while the other is larger and sometimes augments the smaller box.

I'm not above a few duplicates here and there, in case a particular socket or whatever is useful above and below.

Then there are a few (mostly battery-operated) electrical tools, mostly in saloon storage, mostly in their own bag/box/whatever. Camera snake, heat gun, socket driver, etc.

-Chris
Old 12-17-2018, 10:40 PM   #31
Guru

City: Trenton
[QUOTE=RT Firefly;
Actually, the compressor is fine where it is (in the ER) as I have enough hose to reach anywhere on the boat and I DO love my air tools...Which are stowed in a lidded bin in the guest cabin on the starboard side locker...[/QUOTE]

RT!

You have a FRIGGIN' AIR COMPRESSOR board your boat?

I'm in awe.

I'm not worthy....I'm not worthy...I'm not worthy
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 11:13 PM   #32

City: Bainbridge Island
Vessel Name: Mahalo
Vessel Model: 2018 Hampton Endurance 658
Did someone say... toolbox?
Attached Thumbnails
laz1-4189877.jpg  
Old 12-17-2018, 11:16 PM   #33
Guru

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Lucky Lucky
Vessel Model: Pacific Mariner 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBob View Post
Did someone say... toolbox?
What? No lathe?
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 11:45 PM   #34
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
What? No lathe?
Bob doesn’t need a lathe. He has a CNC machine in the other shop.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 06:51 AM   #35
Guru

City: Narragansett Bay
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
“Actually, the compressor is fine where it is (in the ER) as I have enough hose to reach anywhere on the boat and I DO love my air tools...Which are stowed in a lidded bin in the guest cabin on the starboard side locker...”

RT be interested to know what kind of air compressor you carry on board? Sounds very handy. Is it driving your horns?
Cigatoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 07:34 AM   #36
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. E. No air horn...yet (way, way down the "list"). Can't find the exact model but similar to this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Californ...060S/300500747

The one disadvantage is the small air tank only allows air tool use in short bursts but recovery time is manageable and I'm patient. 20 seconds of die grinder is better than no die grinder...
Old 12-18-2018, 08:45 AM   #37
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
My Hatteras came OEM with an engine driven compressor and a pretty big tank conveniently mounted in one of the ERs. Very handy for all kinds of things. I'd very much prefer an electric one independent of the engines though, and switching to that, using the existing tank and plumbing was on The List.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 01:13 AM   #38
Guru

City: Madeira Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
Janice,

You have a challenger with that cute small trawler you have, but you seem to be extremely organized and handy. When are you coming to the Legion again? Been looking for you.

For me, I have about 8 to 10 places for tools depending on where they are needed and how frequently. My "go to" box has all the basic stuff of the day to day minor tweaks, including my meter. I have a tool bag for bigger things, and for bigger things yet, I store them in a cabinet or drawer. All the consumables, hardware, wiring, etc are stored in plastic containers. the light weight stuff like filters, belts, etc and in a box on the flybridge.

I built a box with compartments over the rudder which give a lot of space for parts, oil, etc in the lazarette.

I also have a written directory of where everything is. So, if I search for 18g red wire, or a #8 truss head, 1.5 in long screw, I know where it is.

Ya just can't have too many tools.
The "can't have too many tools" is accurate. A friend said that anyone could borrow a tool once. If they needed it twice however, that borrower needed to buy his own. I find that quite accurate.

Years ago I had a friend drill out a 1" hole for me so I could mount a cigarette lighter. A few years after that I bought my own set of paddle bits for the next cigarette lighter installs.

Having a system that tells you where items are is a great idea. It is amazing how often I manage to lose something in just 23'. Those of you with bigger boats have even more places to look.

Over the years I have changed the location of items. I am better at remembering where items While doing that I ended up sorting out the mixed ones back into their proper homes. I had 6x32's, 8x32's, 10x24's plus of course 1/4 20's, 5/16ths and even a 3/8th's out of place. Now all are back in their particular spice jars.

I have TWO jars of 8x32's. One set of fifty with nuts and washers is for a project. The other though , well that is a bonus. I do need to get with that little job.

Side note: As to heading over to the American Legion...
I'm waiting for the weather to improve. I hate cold, wet weather. And now that the red tide has abated, I'm ready to have some nice away from the dock time. I saw a sister ship to yours over by Sea Breeze restaurant in that little cove today on the way back from Seminole UPS store.

I'd love to meet your Better Half too next time.

I can't see getting over there until after Christmas but who knows? Maybe this wet system will go away sooner.
Old 12-20-2018, 05:23 AM   #39
Guru

City: Walkabout Creek
The most useful thing I has was a tool bag containing the basics. With that bag I could do 80-90% if all jobs. It’s contents will naturally evolve to meet your needs. Things I was using frequently stayed, and others were rejected.

Other tools were kept in various tool boxes fit in various locations.

Parts and supplies were more or less organized and kept is a wide variety of plastic bins, drawers, cabinets, and pets boxes typically used for fishing gear.

I did have one stack of finetool parts drawers. They are very nice, but silly expensive so I limited their use. Stackable, divided parts bins are probably a better solution.
Old 12-20-2018, 08:17 AM   #40
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
I have only two locations for all my tools. I started with organizing the lazarette but found it to be "bothersome" when I needed something fast.(move the cockpit chairs, open the deck hatch to the lazaretto, climb down, etc.)

I then had a tackle center made for the cockpit which wound up being my "go to" tool center. (I don't fish that much anymore.)

Now, when I need a tool, tape, propane can, etc. the "tool center is right outside the salon door.

Projects are much easier (and faster) to start & finish.
Attached Thumbnails
Tackle Center.jpg   open drawers.jpg