Toe Rail Protection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ski in NC

Technical Guru
Vessel Name
Louisa
Vessel Make
Custom Built 38
I've got a varnished toe rail on my ride. On the bow line chocks, when anchored the rode still lightly rubs on the brightwork. I need one of those SS strips to provide some chafe guard.

I got a piece of 3/4" quarter round, but I need to bend it to follow the curve of the rail. I tried to bend, the quarter round said "NO". It also does not fit the radius of the rail, so the flat back would not make a good fit without putting a flat on the rail.

I seem to remember see some boats with a much more narrow SS strip attached for this purpose.

Problem is, I don't even know what it is called.

Anyone know the term or know of a source?

Thanks, Eric.

I've got a varnished toe rail on my ride. On the bow line chocks, when anchored the rode still lightly rubs on the brightwork. I need one of those SS strips to provide some chafe guard.

I got a piece of 3/4" quarter round, but I need to bend it to follow the curve of the rail. I tried to bend, the quarter round said "NO". It also does not fit the radius of the rail, so the flat back would not make a good fit without putting a flat on the rail.

I seem to remember see some boats with a much more narrow SS strip attached for this purpose.

Problem is, I don't even know what it is called.

Anyone know the term or know of a source?

Thanks, Eric.

Wood can often be bent after steaming it for a half hour or so. My guess is you can find information on youtube or woodworking forums.

That said, your wooden strip is going to wear over time. Stainless steel seems like a better choice.

Thanks guys. Rub strakes they are. Found a few already.

Wesk- Not going with wood, going with stainless steel (SS).

Stainless steel work hardens quite a bit faster than other metals so plan for the curve and do the bending once.

Yea, well aware of SS and it's personalities. Even more tricky to bend something flat sideways. That's why I will shop for something narrow, like half inch.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom