Thoughts on Waxes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sounds like the paint is shot, so wax isn't going to help. Your rep is correct that the last line before painting is an acrylic overcoat. Some of the marine specific products are Poli Glow, Vert Glass, Island Girl, NewGlass 2, etc. They are all based on the acrylic floor shine products, but I assume they are more robust to stand up the marine environment (having more solids, among other things). Practical Sailor did a long term test of these products and their two favorites were Poly Glow and New Glass 2. While I have no personal experience with the products, I have researched them and they seem very easy to apply after using special proprietary cleaners. For the cost, I think it is worth getting a kit and giving it a shot. Maybe do just the transome first to see if you like it.

I used the collinite paste wax last season. You cant beat it for longevity, it really holds up to washings. The down side I have with it and any paste wax is the continuous assault from the " sounds of freedom" overhead. My boat is near a Navy air base and the fall out from the planes and jets works its way into the wax.
Maybe I can get Uncle Sam to detail my boat each year:lol:

We're near Cherry Point Marine Air Station, so you know what I'm up against. I just want to be able to wash and have the dirt come off and not need to magic eraser the whole topsides. :)

We'll fix the paint later. I heard somewhere that bad paint never sunk a boat. As long as that remains true, I just want to get her clean!

Sounds like the paint is shot, so wax isn't going to help. Your rep is correct that the last line before painting is an acrylic overcoat. Some of the marine specific products are Poli Glow, Vert Glass, Island Girl, NewGlass 2, etc. They are all based on the acrylic floor shine products, but I assume they are more robust to stand up the marine environment (having more solids, among other things). Practical Sailor did a long term test of these products and their two favorites were Poly Glow and New Glass 2. While I have no personal experience with the products, I have researched them and they seem very easy to apply after using special proprietary cleaners. For the cost, I think it is worth getting a kit and giving it a shot. Maybe do just the transome first to see if you like it.

Easy to apply. Horrible to get off. If I was going to paint my boat anytime in the near future. I wouldn't use it.

Easy to apply. Horrible to get off. If I was going to paint my boat anytime in the near future. I wouldn't use it.

That has been the major complaint in the past. However, Practical Sailor found that the new strippers that are sold by the companies that make the finishes work very well - one or two washes with the right product should strip all the finish. If there is a plan to paint in the next year or two, then I'd agree and just hold out; but if the desire is to avoid painting for as long as possible, I'd give it a try. We considered using it on the sailboat, but after a good compound, glaze, wax last year, she looked good (and we plan to sell her, anyway).

Jeff - have you used this on the Duck? Do you have any issues with weird yellowing? This might be just what I'm looking for! :) THANKS!

Big Duck hasn't even been washed in 2 years - keeping up external cosmetics while reworking mechanics/plumbing/electrics never made sense to me...

But I have used ICE on previous boats - I don't even buff it out...more of a satin look, but very easy to keep clean. No problems with yellowing.

Yea, I tried Mop-N-Glo and everything else under the sun. I stopped messing with other stuff when I started using ICE.

Thanks Everyone!! I will try something this weekend and report back if it was what I was hoping for!

"By that I think he meant "self polishing floor wax" which is not wax at all. I have several friends that use Mop&Glo."

This and similar no wax floor products work well at removing scratches in plexiglass.

Skinny Dippin' got a good bath today after a nice little weekend escape reality cruise and afterwards, I used the Turtlewax ICE on the outside of the flybridge - where the green stripe is. This is a particularly difficult area for me to keep clean. I'll report back on success or failure! :thumb:

Hi Everyone! I wanted to send a quick update! After a full month now, and at least three good washes followed by the ICE spray on wax, the result is exactly what I was after. The diesel soot is no longer getting into the porous paint surface.

Thank you all for the advice! I think the more I use it, the better it will be. I'm very happy with the result! :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Thanks for the update. Did it make much of a difference in terms of shine, or just makes it easier to keep clean?

Thanks for the update. Did it make much of a difference in terms of shine, or just makes it easier to keep clean?

Just easier to keep clean, and that was the goal 100%. The DIY paint job will never shine. It was explained to us that the prep work was not done correctly and that's why the paint is flat. Luckily it's just the topsides that we'll need to repaint someday....the hull is still shiney gelcoat. :thumb:

If over time I start to see a shine come out from build up of wax, I'll let you know! But I don't expect that to happen.

Back
Top Bottom