Teakdecking Systems Cleaner(s)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Speedy Charlotte
Vessel Make
Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Just bought their ECO-100 powder and their ECO-300 liquid to try out on my decks which had a coat of Semco applied about 8 to 10 months ago. They were starting to look a little tired and definitely needed a new coat of Semco.

I didn't want to use the two-part cleaner/brightener from Semco, or any other acid based product because I didn't want to strip off any Semco that remained or remove any of the soft wood fiber from the teak.

So I tried the Teakdecking Systems products because they do not contain acid and they are supposed to be gentle on the teak. Here is info:

The World's Leader in Pre-Manufactured Custom Teak Decks - Teakdecking Systems®

The World's Leader in Pre-Manufactured Custom Teak Decks - Teakdecking Systems®

I should note that all of their marketing materials about the powder state that it "cleans and brightens without removing the soft fibers of your teak", while no such claim ever seems to appear on the marketing materials for the liquid.

Yet when I contacted them, the representative said "the cleaners have identical chemical makeups, so use the one that suits your preference".

In any case, I tried both, with the following used for the application:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WZ6ZSE

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ROP5XG

I must say the powder worked amazingly well. The teak cleaned up really nicel - better than I expected. Unfortunately, I don't have the "before" photo, which I realize would have helped.

I didn't think the liquid worked as well. One reason could be that the powder was easy to distribute fairly uniformly since you could spread the powder out with the scrub brush, while the liquid kind of just landed where it landed and didn't seem to spread out so easily after squirting it on. I suppose if I had mixed the concentrate with water in a bucket and applied that way it might have made a difference.

In terms of how I applied the powder, I just wet the teak, sprinkled it on directly, spread it around lightly with the cleaning pad, then scrubbed across the grain. I made sure to keep the teak wet, and hosed thoroughly after cleaning each section.

So I bought a few more of the ECO-100 bottles and will now be using it every 3 months or so to give the teak a good yet gentle cleansing.

I should also add that while the teak was dirty, aside from the swim platform it still wasn't graying thanks to the Semco. Love the stuff.

Here are some photos, the first one is after the cleaning with the Teakdecking Systems products (the area shown I cleaned with the powder), the second after the application of 2 coats of Semco (a mix of 50% "Natural" and 50% "Goldtone").

Attachments

• IMG_0825.jpg
    IMG_0825.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_0864.jpg
    IMG_0864.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 108
Good to know. I need to recaulk my sundeck and then refinish it. Am leaning towards Semco.

Teak Decking Systems is a regular stop for me as their front store is the Teak Hut, great source for inexpensive teak scrap. I also have the Eco-100 powder I have used for oil stains. I had two pretty serious used diesel oil spills on my veranda teak in a single year. Over a period of three months or so (perhaps 10 applications of the powder), the stains lifted. Cant tell they were ever there. Thanks for reminding me that I could use this stuff instead of the acid when reapplying the Semco sealer.

Attachments

• 7BEC6C76-C03D-40AE-BDB7-27D33D78EF9B.jpg
    7BEC6C76-C03D-40AE-BDB7-27D33D78EF9B.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 91
Teak Decking Systems is a regular stop for me as their front store is the Teak Hut, great source for inexpensive teak scrap. I also have the Eco-100 powder I have used for oil stains. I had two pretty serious used diesel oil spills on my veranda teak in a single year. Over a period of three months or so (perhaps 10 applications of the powder), the stains lifted. Cant tell they were ever there. Thanks for reminding me that I could use this stuff instead of the acid when reapplying the Semco sealer.
I’ve never seen this stuff. I’m going to pick some up myself. The Semco cleaners seam a bit too harsh.
Man I wish I had a teak scrap store down the road from me. I have a couple a boxes of teak scrap from various jobs. I’ve got one board that I’ve had for 15 years or better that I just can’t bring myself to rip it up for anything. Those guys at TDS are the best .

Last edited:

Great to know I need to stop in and get some I have a stain the admiral wants gone

I tried the TDS granular on my 30 year old decks. Did a good job and seemed much more gentle than the two part I have used on other boats. Of course the result was much more gentle as well. Seemed good and clean but didn't bring back the new teak color so if you are looking for that it won't work.

Side question on the Semco, do you HAVE to use the two part cleaner prior to first application or would cleaning with the TDS first be ok? I really don't want any 2 part cleaner on the boat in the next slip much less on my decks. I repeat, 30 year old decks!

...Side question on the Semco, do you HAVE to use the two part cleaner prior to first application or would cleaning with the TDS first be ok? I really don't want any 2 part cleaner on the boat in the next slip much less on my decks. I repeat, 30 year old decks!

We don’t and our decks are 31 years old. Lena uses liquid Cascade Dishwashing detergent and a white 3M Scotch pad to clean the decks before the Semco. She mixes 1-2 tablespoons per gallon of water. She changes the wash water pretty frequently and uses lots of rinse water. The Cascade seems to lift the dirt without being aggressive and dosent leave a residue. The white 3M pads are the least aggressive. We learned this from a professional skipper who maintained a big Swan that a rain forest of teak.

We don’t and our decks are 31 years old. Lena uses liquid Cascade Dishwashing detergent and a white 3M Scotch pad to clean the decks before the Semco. She mixes 1-2 tablespoons per gallon of water. She changes the wash water pretty frequently and uses lots of rinse water. The Cascade seems to lift the dirt without being aggressive and dosent leave a residue. The white 3M pads are the least aggressive. We learned this from a professional skipper who maintained a big Swan that a rain forest of teak.

Thanks Larry. Wasn’t sure if I needed to go down to that raw read first, if not doing so would affect the look or performance of the Semco. Now I know. Appreciate the response.

Thanks Larry. Wasn’t sure if I needed to go down to that raw read first, if not doing so would affect the look or performance of the Semco. Now I know. Appreciate the response.

No need to use a 2 part cleaner. As long as there is no water, or mold/mildew that you are sealing in, you should be fine.

We use Teakdecking Systems products and their methods 100%. We prefer the powder but also have the liquid for quick cleanup of stains. They were the manufacturer of most of our teak. Our oldest teak is now 5 1/2 years old, but all our teak looks like new.

I do believe the key to teak is the maintenance from new and know that in most cases here you didn't have the luxury of new and are subject to the care previous owners gave. I've seen almost new teak that has been scrubbed the wrong way or harsh chemicals used and you see that some of the wood fibers went out with the wash. I saw someone using a pressure washer on teak and wanted to scream. I recommend watching their videos. We only use soft brushes and scrub across the grain as they show in their video.

Teak does not have to be high maintenance if cared for properly.

We use Teakdecking Systems products and their methods 100%. We prefer the powder but also have the liquid for quick cleanup of stains. They were the manufacturer of most of our teak. Our oldest teak is now 5 1/2 years old, but all our teak looks like new.

I do believe the key to teak is the maintenance from new and know that in most cases here you didn't have the luxury of new and are subject to the care previous owners gave. I've seen almost new teak that has been scrubbed the wrong way or harsh chemicals used and you see that some of the wood fibers went out with the wash. I saw someone using a pressure washer on teak and wanted to scream. I recommend watching their videos. We only use soft brushes and scrub across the grain as they show in their video.

Teak does not have to be high maintenance if cared for properly.

Just for reference, they also recommend the white 3M pads, which are the most gentle ones. I have used soft brushes and the pads, and I prefer the pads as they seem to work better while still being super gentle and not removing any soft fibers.

Just for reference, they also recommend the white 3M pads, which are the most gentle ones. I have used soft brushes and the pads, and I prefer the pads as they seem to work better while still being super gentle and not removing any soft fibers.

We do use the pads as well. I said "soft brushes" and I was including the pads in my definition erroneously as they're soft but not a brush. Neither they nor the soft brushes used correctly removes fiber.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom