Old 01-15-2019, 08:27 AM   #21
Veteran Member

City: Spicer
Vessel Name: Rozinante
Vessel Model: Taswell 43
timb...The Semco is very watery, goes on easily, and soaking into the wood. It has been easy to maintain. Our boat, now based in Puerto Rico, sets out in the hot sun, on the hard, 6 mo of the year...depending on how many storms/hurricanes blow through, and how much dirt gets blown into the deck..we typically wash our full teak deck and caprail with soap and water, then apply either one or 2 coats of Semco once each year. Or, like this year (first time in 5 years) we elected to wash it, then use the Semco 2-part cleaner, and then 2 coats of Semco Natural. It goes on easily, with a foam brush, dries quickly, looks good, and protects the wood while still letting it breathe. There are several different levels of color/pigment available-from none to something approaching solid......we chose the "Natural", which is the first coloring up from no pigment . Oh-and both the 2-part cleaner and the Semco finish easily wipe off painted surfaces, with no ill effects.
Boatcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 08:51 AM   #22
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: Slo-Poke
Vessel Model: Jorgensen custom 44
I used Semco on my sailboat after I scraped off the loose Cetol . Semco is like Thompsons Waterseal for teak . You have to stay after it,probably at least every year if not twice a year.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:08 AM   #23
Veteran Member

City: Port Orchard, WA
Vessel Name: Synergy
Vessel Model: Hershine TriCabin Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatcrazy View Post
following. We used Deks Olje all the time when we we were in the hot Philippine sun. But once we left Asia, I have been unable to find it anywhere. We've switched to Semco Natural....it works well, too.
I am looking into Semco. The maintenance coats can be wiped on with a cloth.

It is not a varnish. Its a sealer that keeps the underlying oils from oxidation (and thus graying). From what I have learned, there is no "gloss" or shine to the finished coat, but Semco does restore the color and prevents graying.

My cap rails are too grooved to sand down smooth without a loss of height. For Semco, the only preparation needed is scrubbing with their 2 part cleansing solutions (to remove prior oxidized oils).

Any comments from Semco users? Results? Appearance?