Old 08-24-2020, 02:56 PM   #21
Veteran Member

City: Canby, Oregon & LaPaz, BCS, MX
Vessel Name: MV SeaStar
Vessel Model: 1969 DeFever-OBC 50' wood
Creative, less-work solutions:

If the panel is smooth or can be made so with light sanding, and you have a good eye for color, faux paint the discolored area with artists' acrylics to match surrounding color and grain detailing, then varnish to match sheen.

Rather than irreversibly painting the teak paneling, use high-grade, vinyl wallpaper. It can be applied to selective areas, may be easily undone by future owners, and especially with tone-on-tone patterns available, is less harsh than the contrast of teak trim and white walls.

I've also seen murals painted or charts of favorite waters decoratively decoupaged on a damaged wall.

For longevity and to create a classic look, varnish interior teak trim with a gloss rather than matte finish. Good luck!
SeaStarDF50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 03:58 PM   #22

City: Perth
Vessel Name: Joshua
Vessel Model: Blue Seas Trawler 36ft
I am nearing the end of a complete refit where I removed all internal lining.
I dug and ground the internal walls back to the fiberglasd skin.
I then made templates out of mdf strip's and used a hot glue gun to join them.
Marine ply was then cut and glued to the fibreglass using megapoxy glue.
Some before and after shotsClick image for larger version

Name:	20200825_043843.jpeg
Views:	38
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	106994Click image for larger version

Name:	20200825_044115.jpeg
Views:	40
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	106996Click image for larger version

Name:	20170716_135132.jpeg
Views:	40
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	106997Click image for larger version

Name:	20191124_112614.jpeg
Views:	45
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	106998Click image for larger version

Name:	20200216_110252.jpeg
Views:	43
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	106999
hallp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 04:47 PM   #23

City: Naples Fl
Vessel Name: Phantom
Vessel Model: Cheer Men PT41
The walls will undoubtedly be plywood faced with a teak veneer of whatever thickness.
I have attempted water damage repair to existing panels many times including stripping, sanding, bleaching, staining etc - all without success.
However if the panel is really sound, a good professional faux finisher should be able to correct the defects. He/she may have to treat the whole panel.
If there is any suggestion of weakness in the panel, it should be cut out and replaced with new plywood then veneered.
The problem with using new teak veneer is that most times it's much darker than your existing interior teak. This is due to sun 'lightening' over time.
I use an Anigre veneer which is very light in color but with similar grain patterns to teak.
You can readily darken veneer but it's almost impossible to lighten.
I took off an existing small panel, took it to Sherwin Williams along with an Anigre sample and they made up a quart of stain to match.
Depending on the existing grain configuration, you'll need to order either 'flat cut' or 'quarter sawn' veneer. Google it to see the differences.
mickand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 02:57 PM   #24

City: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Lazy Libra
Vessel Model: Marine Trader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marigold View Post
Please help. 44 marine trader. Wish to replace some of the stained Teak wall paneling. Especially around windows where leaked for years before me. What exactly is it and is it available?
Hi Marigold!
We have a 1978 Marine Trader 44 and we had some water stains and veneer damage to deal with too. I wanted to save everything we could! We tried several options for replacement peel and stick and just couldn't quite find what we wanted as far as color goes.
I'm not sure how severe your damage is, but for us there were some places where it was just discoloration and slight damage, that we cleaned up put a coat of poly over and accepted the "distressed look". I actually like it a lot.
Walls that were just full damage and unsalvageable we used marine plywood to replace the wall and installed vinyl flooring with FRP glue in a color called Sapele Red from Lowe's. It seems to match up really well with the original teak that we left in place.
I wish you the best, matching things up is tough!
wonderfuljenn is offline   Reply With Quote