Old 01-09-2013, 09:16 AM   #41
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. BH. Nice looking deck! I would suspect that this is your aft deck which, in your avatar, appears to be fully enclosed. If I was in the same situation I would not hesitate to maintain the same finish, be it varnish or Cetol etc. PROVIDED it remain absolutely dry. From experience, I hold untreated (silver if you wish) teak decks to be the ultimate covering. As mentioned, non-slip when wet and relatively cool in the sun. Treated, they become virtual skating rinks when wet no matter what the anti-skid footwear IMHO. This is the main reason I have NOT put anything on my teak swim platform. It's one thing to slip and land on a deck and another to slip and end up in the water.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:49 AM   #42

Bruce,

I am a bit confused with this last post of yours.(not unusual for me) You say you just "redone" your "decks" in a combination of "finishes", but in the last statement you "agree" with "not sanding or adding finishes".
Can you expand on what your "redone" entailed?

Also, unless I really need my eyes checked, those "silver" decks of yours would be quite acceptable to me as a natural brown teak.

Thanks for posting those pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Having just redone my decks in a combination of finishes, non slip on the bow, fresh teak on the side decks and cockpit, I can tell you the non slip often gets too hot for bare feet, and the teak looks great, at present. But in terms of practicality I am comfortable with my decision, even if my feet are not.
Agree in principle with not sanding or adding finishes to teak, but it is interesting Phil has done it for years with success.
Delta_JimS is offline   Reply With Quote