Old 02-19-2020, 07:11 PM   #21
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooksie View Post
I did a teak deck 25 years ago using the West System method where 5/16 thick teak slats are glued down using blackened/thickened epoxy which becomes the "caulking". I took a lot of ribbing at the dock for the non-conventional method at the time.
Now 25 yrs later, still going strong after kids, fishing, dogs, grandkids.
This method precludes any water getting into the deck through the screw holes and cuts the teak bill by 2/3. Ipe might be the wood to use today.
I did a teak deck for a client using the WEST system 15 years ago with no fastners. It is still holding up per client.

But, I would still not want it on my boat. Too much maintenance.
syjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 07:18 PM   #22

City: Waukesha
Vessel Name: Dirty Paws
Vessel Model: Mainship 31 sedan bridge
Thanks for the advice, think I'll pass on this one.
JD750lgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 07:39 PM   #23
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Appears that maintaining a warmful teak deck is more hassle than a heartless steel deck.
Old 02-19-2020, 09:21 PM   #24

City: Long Beach
Vessel Name: Checkmate
Vessel Model: GB 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLD View Post
For a 35+ year old boat, I would budget in the cost of removing a teak deck and probably replacement of the tanks (fuel, water, and waste) if they are all still original and made of metal. Unfortunately, neither of these are cheap repairs, but they may be necessary.

Many Grand Banks owners love the teak on their boats. So much that some of them have spent many 10's of thousands of dollars on replacing teak decks.

Although it is a very tedious event, I don't think that it is a difficult (time consuming, yes) job for a DIYer. If you can get the old teak off a boat, you could always have a pro do any repairs, and painting afterwards.

Jim
No teak decks were a strong factor in purchasing my G.B.. The PO spent the time and energy to remove them.
Old 02-19-2020, 09:57 PM   #25
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
There are two separate issues in this thread. One is water in the core and that should be tested for in your survey or before even. The other is the teak deck itself. As to the teak, I'd advise looking at Teakdeckingsystem's You tube videos to get ideas as to what needs to be done. We love teak but then we often have others maintaining it. Still, if done right, it's not that much more effort. We tested many of the synthetics and none had the feeling of teak, all hotter and slicker.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 10:02 PM   #26
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
JD750lgp, you did say there were no apparent water entry consequences seen underneath. If sure about that you are only looking at removal and 2 layers of glass mat + paint. You could allow and budget for that, if the boat is good otherwise. There is an element of "betterment" meaning you`ll have added value and resaleability.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 10:06 PM   #27
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
Weíve had our GB with teak decks for about 12 years. We spend about six to eight hours per year maintaining them (replacing and repairing bungs, washing, etc). We never stain them or use sealers. We like gray! Our decks provide good traction and cooler surface temperature in hot weather.

Iíll venture a guess that most people that complain about teak-deck maintenance have never owned them or worked on them. Just a guess. More internet lore...
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 10:17 PM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggitoni View Post
Weíve had our GB with teak decks for about 12 years. We spend about six to eight hours per year maintaining them (replacing and repairing bungs, washing, etc)...Our decks provide good traction and cooler surface temperature in hot weather.

Iíll venture a guess that most people that complain about teak-deck maintenance have never owned them or worked on them. Just a guess. More internet lore...
Sharing your teak fetish,I renewed all except the bow section, having worked at saving them a while, before giving up and replacing. Despite maintenance, they don`t last forever.
Old 02-20-2020, 06:09 AM   #29
FF
Guru

Treadmaster is a glue down mat that is used on many pilot boats where traction is a must.

Treadmaster Non Skid Deck Covering - Jamestown Distributors

www.jamestowndistributors.com › Hardware › Protection Tape

Rating: 3.7 - ‎7 reviews - ‎$135.55 to $146.22
Lewmar Treadmaster non-skid deck covering provides additional safety and comfort for boaters. For over 30 years, Treadmaster flooring has been used to ...LEW-JWTU008342‎: ‎Light Gray
LEW-JWTU008320‎: ‎Teak

LEW-JWTU008363‎: ‎White Sand
LEW-JWTU008347‎: ‎Gray
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 11:05 AM   #30
Guru

City: Tampa, FL
People have been saying that replacing teak decks is "not that expensive" if you DIY, or "very expensive" if you pay to have it done. So, anyone want to put some real numbers to these rather vague statements?

Let's say a 40' trawler with teak all the way around and on the sundeck. Any "neighborhood" estimates of what it would cost to pull up and replace? Let's assume, for the sake of argument, that there is no core wetness (even though it seems that is actually a pretty good probability).
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 11:29 AM   #31
Guru

Here I’m contributing to internet lore..! I have a GB42. In the 14 years I’ve paid attention, I know of four 42s that have had their decks replaced (old removed and new teak cut and laid with a bazillion screws). The work, in all four cases, was performed on the East coast of the United States at professional boat yards. The costs range from $32k to $41k.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Old 02-20-2020, 12:08 PM   #32
JLD
Guru

City: Delaware
There is an interesting post from 2018 on the Grand Banks sub-forum related to one owners cost to pull up his teak decks and NOT replace them.

The post (#14) reads in part:

"Just did a teak deck removal on our Grand Banks 49 last winter. I did it myself with the help of an experienced shipwright. The goal was to remove all of the old teak, fill all of the screw holes with epoxy, apply multiple coats of white gel coat, mask off for "islands" of non-skid, and apply two coats of Durabak non-skid. Describing it is the easy part but the devil is in the details. Total labor time was approximately 280 hours; 70 hours of mine; and 210 hours for the shipwright at $60/hour. Materials, supplies and tools were about $2,000 for a total cost of around $15,000."

The post would seem to suggest that there was NO fiberglass repair needed to the decks in this example.

Jim
JLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 01:14 PM   #33
Guru

Wish I could find an experienced shipwright for $60 per hour. I’d let him live on my boat! Most of them around here are twice that.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Old 02-20-2020, 01:43 PM   #34
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Labor at the boatyard I use bills labor at $130 and $135 an hour.
Old 02-20-2020, 05:33 PM   #35
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
People have been saying that replacing teak decks is "not that expensive" if you DIY, or "very expensive" if you pay to have it done. So, anyone want to put some real numbers to these rather vague statements?

Let's say a 40' trawler with teak all the way around and on the sundeck. Any "neighborhood" estimates of what it would cost to pull up and replace? Let's assume, for the sake of argument, that there is no core wetness (even though it seems that is actually a pretty good probability).
Close to 30K AUD in 2012 for 36ft boat to remove all teak,add 2 layers of glass on the bow section and paint, add 1 layer on the side decks and cockpit and glue down fresh teak, with necessary fairing to get a good surface.
The deck substrate sandwich material was foam, only included repairs were a section of rotted teak core about 2 ft square both sides fwd of the "step up' to the bow, and some core repair under the main bow cleat incl. dropping the headliner for access.
Hope that helps. Back then the AUD and USD were fairly similar,(though not now).
Old 02-24-2020, 02:12 PM   #36
Veteran Member

City: Saugatuck MI
Vessel Name: Odelay
Vessel Model: Transpac Eagle 32
"We" (husband and a helper) pulled up the teak deck on our 32' trawler. We spent about $1,500 on labor.

-------
Kate
Transpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 03:07 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post

I donít know what a yard would charge but it would be staggering. As to DIY costs, labor would be zero and materials probably under $1K depending on if you have to lay more layers of glass on top of the existing deck for strength. Then probably another thousand for materials.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 03:13 PM   #38
Veteran Member

City: Barcelona
Vessel Name: Verdblau
Vessel Model: Blue Ocean 45/47
Teak Deck ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD750lgp View Post
Evening Gentlemen, I am in search of my first Trawler. Went and looked at a 1984 De Fever 41 over the weekend, the interior is in excellent shape no signs of leaks around the windows or from the decks. The decks feel solid while walking around the boat. My question is about the Teak deck (I know nothing other than what I've read ) its self . The planks appear to be about 1/2" - 5/8" thick from what I could measure but hey need some love. Caulking needs to be re done in a lot of areas and re grooved in a few small areas. Screws reset and new bungs in some areas. Question is how many years or sand and caulk good I get? Hope the pictures show up.
We have same look as your teak. Lot of problems with water. We caulk it several times but the best it was to eliminate teak in some place and substitute by awl grip paint done by a professional.Now looks new. Solarium and flybridge. (10k)
In other part, in order to maintain the elegance of the teak we take out all the teak en redo with a new one. The fore deck (6K), the sides and the stern (8k).
The job of maintain it should be done monthly if you want to have it perfect.
Good luck.
armando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 05:10 PM   #39
Guru

City: Fleming Island, Fl
Vessel Name: Sakura Perdido
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36 Classic
Teak Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD750lgp View Post
Evening Gentlemen, I am in search of my first Trawler. Went and looked at a 1984 De Fever 41 over the weekend, the interior is in excellent shape no signs of leaks around the windows or from the decks. The decks feel solid while walking around the boat. My question is about the Teak deck (I know nothing other than what I've read ) its self . The planks appear to be about 1/2" - 5/8" thick from what I could measure but hey need some love. Caulking needs to be re done in a lot of areas and re grooved in a few small areas. Screws reset and new bungs in some areas. Question is how many years or sand and caulk good I get? Hope the pictures show up.
As you can see, I own a GB 36. My first criteria when searching for a boat was that it had to have had the team deck removed and professionally filled, glassed and painted. If you find the boat of your dreams that is satisfactory in all other respects then buy it and budget for removing the teak decks yourself. Otherwise, keep searching. Just my opinion. Good luck.
Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 06:52 PM   #40

City: Pensacola
Vessel Name: CLASSEA
Vessel Model: 1988 Defever 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryant View Post
As you can see, I own a GB 36. My first criteria when searching for a boat was that it had to have had the team deck removed and professionally filled, glassed and painted. If you find the boat of your dreams that is satisfactory in all other respects then buy it and budget for removing the teak decks yourself. Otherwise, keep searching. Just my opinion. Good luck.

IMO, teak decks are like swimming pools, nice to have a neighbor with them. Purchased a 1988 DeFever 41 with teak on the decks and flybridge, first item on the list was to take them out. Had all the holes filled, soft spots repaired and went back with slick coat and non-skid. Did add plasti-teak on top of the raised cabin on the bow and runway on the aft cabin to the flybridge for accents.

Standing by -
JimW
mv_classea
JimW is offline   Reply With Quote