Tasks while boat is pulled?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

firstbase

Guru
Vessel Name
Black Eyed Susan
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 42' Classic
Getting ready to pull the boat in the next month or so and am trying to get my thoughts together on what I want to do on this new-to-me boat. Needs bottom paint and the sea cocks serviced. Will also clean/compound and wax hull. In good shape but hate to miss the opportunity while it is out. What else is good to do on the hard? Anything else easier to accomplish at that time than in the slip?

Last edited:
Take the opportunity to change all the anodes yourself.

Greetings,
Mr. fb. Check: cutlass bearing(s), stuffing box packing, rudder packing, swim platform brackets (for proper bedding/sealant/corrosion, integrity of fasteners), prop and shaft for damage/corrosion and exhaust outlets/pipes/flanges.

Install underwater lighting. Remove and glass over any unnecessary holes (i.e. knotmeter).

Add stabilizers? :D

Or if you already have them get them serviced.

When I did my first haul out I sent the props to the prop shop for tuning and balancing. There was a noticeable difference in the amount of vibration felt when underway. It was worth the $600 I paid.

Just had props tuned and balanced about a month ago so they should be good.

Would love underwater lights simply for the entertainment of 7 grandchildren but just can't bring myself to plunk down the $$$ for good ones and then drill more holes in the hull! Maybe...also, seems very un-Trawler like to me. I'm a traditionalist I guess...

I do have one unused thru-hull and seacock that needs to go away. The PO removed the Grunert cold plate freezer and used the space as a spare frig with ice. Have an unused dedicated through hull for that. Seacock is obviously closed with 2' of hose going to nowhere. I don't know why but it is very disconcerting to look at it. However, wifey wants me to look into reinstalling a working freezer. Currently using a stand alone freezer up on the flybridge which she is not real fond of. I am not sure of the power requirements of a cold plate/Grunert type of freezer. Seems like it would be a lot. Keeping it up and running while cruising would pretty much insure the generator running and hour or two each day. Don't really know but would have to think about that one.

Just remembered a transducer thru-hull currently occupied by a blank. That could go away as well I think.

Stabilizers..um, unless Mr. Firefly sends me a big fat check I will pass on those for now.

So my list, somewhat in order of importance is below. Plan on doing some of these myself, some with a mechanic "learnin' me for next time and some just using the checkbook totally:

Bottom job
Service seacocks
Check props/shafts
Cutlass bearings
Stuffing box
Rudder packing
Exhaust outlets/pipes/flanges
Get rid of unused through hulls
Check swim Platform/brackets
Clean/wax hull
Change anodes myself

Anything missing? Thanks for the comments!

So my list, somewhat in order of importance is below. Plan on doing some of these myself, some with a mechanic "learnin' me for next time and some just using the checkbook totally:

Bottom job
Service seacocks
Check props/shafts
Cutlass bearings
Stuffing box
Rudder packing
Exhaust outlets/pipes/flanges
Get rid of unused through hulls
Check swim Platform/brackets
Clean/wax hull
Change anodes myself

Anything missing? Thanks for the comments!

- Check trim tabs' hydraulic ram operations and connections to hull... if so equipped...

- Repaint boot stripe. adjust it's size and placement position if needed or desired

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. fb. Oh no ya don't! I'm NOT sending you any $$ until the Nigerian prince gets back to me.

Regarding the holes for the underwater lighting (GREAT idea by the way Mr. G9), surface mount lights only require a small hole that can be above the water line for the power wire. As to cost? How much are your grand kids worth?

Earlier this year (May) when we did our Bahama's junket, there was a small boat (28' I think) with transom lights. It was mesmerizing to watch the activity after dark in the gin clear water. Much better than the dentist's office even with the Novocaine.

But serious Fire of Fly. My real name is Mr. Konta Tama. Besides owning a trawler I am the Manager Audit and Accountacy Department, Bank of Africa in Burkina Faso and one of three gold merchants of the Libya's First Lady Safia Farkash. Oh, forget it. Never works....

Of the seven grand kids there are 2 that are capable of applying bottom paint so they are (currently) not for sale. The other 5 could be up for bid depending on their behavior at the time I put other items for sale on eBay.

I think I would prefer SMALL holes in the hull behind the lights more than a wire running up the transom to get above the water line. Exposed wire... I don't know...not so much. Our last house was on the water and we had an underwater light off the dock. Better than watching a lava lamp back in the 60's. Snook, Tarpon, Snapper, etc. all over that thing. Could sit there for quite a while watching...

When replacing the zincs check the continuity to the metal with your ohmmeter.
Couple of times I checked and had to redo a zinc. More cleaning of the base metal and the zinc mounting surfaces was required.
Ohmmeter should show virtually zero. If it shows as much as 1 ohm redo the mounting faces.

"I am not sure of the power requirements of a cold plate/Grunert type of freezer. Seems like it would be a lot."

The amount of power needed by any refrigeration or freezer is mostly determined by the quality of the insulation.

A combination of eutetic plates with large powerful cooling VS , DC is a personal choice , both can be efficient.

Thanks for replies. I would like to remove the freezer from up top as well but have some more basic things to accomplish. Wife seems to put that higher on the list than I do!

I should also lay out my anchor rodes and check them in total. The length markings on the chain rode are just about gone, have to pay a lot of attention as they go by. I would think that remarking them would be easier on land as well. Will add that to the list.

One thing that I did yesterday in prep for being on the hard for a week was simply defrosting the fridge. No power for a week, I figured I better.

Just had props tuned and balanced about a month ago so they should be good.

Would love underwater lights simply for the entertainment of 7 grandchildren but just can't bring myself to plunk down the $$$ for good ones and then drill more holes in the hull! Maybe...also, seems very un-Trawler like to me. I'm a traditionalist I guess...

!

I mentioned that because as we are preparing for our haulout, we are having that very discussion about the hull lights. My wife, in charge of the boating budget overall, is having trouble seeing the benefits or attributes of underwater lighting versus the cost of putting them in. I, always being willing and able to bolt one more thing on to the boat, think they would be great!

But, I think I know how this story will end for us. :D

I mentioned that because as we are preparing for our haulout, we are having that very discussion about the hull lights. My wife, in charge of the boating budget overall, is having trouble seeing the benefits or attributes of underwater lighting versus the cost of putting them in. I, always being willing and able to bolt one more thing on to the boat, think they would be great!

But, I think I know how this story will end for us. :D

I too think uw lights on a boat would be a gassss!

I've not looked into the models too much. Wondering what power use they require and how durable they are regarding bumps and grinds on anything; as well as for simply being submerged for years. Also wonder if increased speed through water shortens their life and how well their lens stays clear from growths such as barnacles and the like.

If you do research and would like to take time to post that would be great. You could probably start a new thread that would be well contributed to.

I too think uw lights on a boat would be a gassss!

I've not looked into the models too much. Wondering what power use they require and how durable they are regarding bumps and grinds on anything; as well as for simply being submerged for years. Also wonder if increased speed through water shortens their life and how well their lens stays clear from growths such as barnacles and the like.

If you do research and would like to take time to post that would be great. You could probably start a new thread that would be well contributed to.

Done!
http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s4/underwater-lighting-experiences-33058.html

Although, my research is rather thin at this point.

Appreciate all of the responses. I left this thread dangling a bit due to a death in the family but back now with a question....

Obviously a boat needs to be (or at least it is preferred to be) out of the water in order to add through hulls, fill them in, or service seacocks. However, one of the things I am looking at is upgrading electronics. I have two transducers and a through hull with a blank in it for the future. Is it possible to replace or upgrade transducers while the boat is in the water? Seems like you pull one out and put another in. A little water in the bilge but no big deal? I haven't even begun looking at what I want to do with the system yet. Are transducers made to a standard width/profile? Pop out the old Garmin and replace with a Raymarine or are they all individual fittings?

Given the state of affairs with electronics these days I haven't a clue where to even begin with upgrading. May not matter as it seems things change every 6 months or so...

Greetings,
Mr. fb. Replace thru-hull transducers while afloat? Not really something I would do but I suppose it can be done. You might consider the next time you have to install a transducer is to mount it inside and "shoot" through the hull, IF possible and cover over/fill in all 3 existing transducer holes, this time, while you're out.

Thanks Mr. FF, have never replaced or installed a transducer so just wondering if I have to prepare that project in advance of pulling the boat. The current list of tasks to complete shouldn't take me any longer than oh, say 6-8 months on the hard. :) Can probably think about the electronics later while I am waxing. Or bottom painting. Or cleaning and lapping a seacock or 5 of them. Or.....

I would think that replacing a transducer could be done while hanging rather than having to lay up for a while....?

you could always just buy a cheap dive light and hang it off a line. No holes, no wires, and you have a great flashlight if you need one.

Back
Top Bottom