Tacoma boat yard / shipwright recomendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Pacific Myst
Vessel Make
West Bay 4500
Good day all,

We're considering a boat in the Tacoma Washington area. Any recommendations for the following services would be greatly appreciated.

• Exterior windows remove, re-bed, re-install.
  • Structural fiberglass work. Stringers are questionable forward.
  • Perkins Range 4 engine survey and a fuel leak.
  • Full purchase survey.
Yes, I know, we've been bouncing around looking at boats and asking questions. Everyone has been very helpful. Thank you all.

Even though I live down here, I don't have any strong recommendations. At this point, I would not recommend Gig Harbor Marina and Boat Yard for any significant work. They had a change in their yard manager a while back and in my own limited experience I think they haven't adjusted well to the change.

Modutech is my go-to yard and are in Tacoma. Their primary work is on commercial vessels, but do recreational boats as well. I like working with them, but then my style matches theirs -- if you are looking for a yard that gives you a call every day with a status update, you're not going to get it from them. But if you just give them the boat and then say "give it back when it's ready", they're your place. I have not hesitation recommending them for the jobs listed.

Except full survey. For a survey in the Tacoma area, I highly recommend Wayne Gilham at FlowDesign. Info from my survey scanned and attached.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    140.5 KB · Views: 32
Good day all,

We're considering a boat in the Tacoma Washington area. Any recommendations for the following services would be greatly appreciated.

• Exterior windows remove, re-bed, re-install.
  • Structural fiberglass work. Stringers are questionable forward.
  • Perkins Range 4 engine survey and a fuel leak.
  • Full purchase survey.
Yes, I know, we've been bouncing around looking at boats and asking questions. Everyone has been very helpful. Thank you all.

That could end up being a lot of work with unknown surprises once you get into it. A surveyor can note a few things, sure. But as to costs and schedule not so much.

If you carry through, have you considered taking the vessel to Port Townsend for repairs? Contact them and possibly one of their guys could stop by Tacoma and add some insight.

I'm very fond of Kevin and the gang at Breakwater Marine, by the Vashon ferry dock, but they don't have any lifting capability. I did a haul out at Modutech last spring and was satisfied in all respects.

Thank you all for the quick and informed responses. Rather than reply individually to each....

dhays, Thank you. Always good to know an outfit to avoid.

mattkab & ka_sea_ta. Thank you for the Modutec rec. I'm very comfortable dealing with commercial boat yards having managed many overhauls at commercial yards.

Alaska Prov, I'll look into Breakwater. I've not heard of them before.

Sunchaser, you are correct. There is a lot of risk in this. This is a boat with numerous issues. That is why I'm considering ball park estimates before I offer and commit to surveys. I'm thinking this boat will have to cheap or I'll move on.

Jim Knapp, Kula Marine Services. 253-432-2628. He is one of very few craftsmen that seemed like he cared about my boat as much as I did. Excellent work, reasonable rates, in pretty high demand as a result. He may be doing some surveying now, he has the years of experience for it.
I agree with Dhays about Gig Harbor Boatyard. They had taken care of my boat for the PO but my experience was not positive.

Back
Top Bottom