Old 01-06-2021, 10:53 AM   #1
Guru

City: Stratford, CT
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 355
Synthetic Teak Decking

A couple seasons ago, I had Permateek decking installed over my non-skid in the cockpit, rear deck, and swim platform. There are a number of companies selling synthetic teak decking. After some research and a couple quotes I landed on Permateek. IMO, it's the best product of the bunch. It not only adds a lot to the appearance of the boat, but is also more functional, especially when wet. It's basically maintenance free and indestructible. Only downside, it can get a little hot when in full sun, vs. white non-skid. Thought it might be an interesting discussion and I can share my thoughts and experiences. I'll post some pictures soon.
backinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 10:56 AM   #2
Guru

These pics are my boat on the installer's website. First time posting pictures, not sure of a better way here.

https://www.northcountryboatworks.co...Item-k228d7h41
https://www.northcountryboatworks.co...aItem-k228d7h5
https://www.northcountryboatworks.co...Item-k228d7h51
Old 01-06-2021, 11:02 AM   #3
Guru

trying to attach pic
Attached Thumbnails
20200620_122653.jpg  
Old 01-06-2021, 05:31 PM   #4
Guru

City: Looking
Vessel Name: --
Vessel Model: Between boats
That looks GREAT!

Have been thinking of that for our boat which has a terrible previous non-skid job. Any interest in sharing cost/sqft?

One of my concerns is heavy stuff (chair legs, etc) causing indentations - any thoughts on that?
m/v SCOUT Projects Page
boathealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 05:55 PM   #5
Guru

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
I used a Plasdeck product that was used both outside and inside my boat. My boat is wood hence mahogany on the outside. I thought the teek look would be a bit much for that colour of wood and went with a silver with white stripes decking, link below.

I have had many guys stop and talk to me about the decking and like the look on my boat:

https://www.plasdeck.com/marine-deck...ff-white-lines
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 05:59 PM   #6
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
I am very pleased with our Plas Deck synthetic teak deck. (see Bacchus webpage for pics & write-up)
I worked with the Co Pres and provided the template and they manufactured the decking and supplied help for a DIT install.

It is warm / hot in the sun but that's a small negative IMO - a spray from RW faucet or bucket of water easily take care of it.
As I recall the cost was around $35 / Sq Ft but memory isn't what ir used to be. Original was a little lower but I opted for a full margin board border to duplicate the traditional teak deck look. No problem at all with scuffs as it is pretty durable and I have sanded a couple areas that showed some scuffs. I typically clean it with a scotch bright pad and cleaner and use "woody wax" as a non-skid protectant.

What sold me was with factory build all seams are plastic welded - other choices were super glued planks and I questioned durability.

A simple dimensioned sketch and they will provide a budget quote.

We also have received MANY very positive comments thinking it was a factory option. Other envious owners in our marina have installed it.

I have used their PlasTeak for interior and also strongly recommend. I posted a thread on that project and can point others to it if interested.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 06:01 PM   #7
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by boathealer View Post
That looks GREAT!

Have been thinking of that for our boat which has a terrible previous non-skid job. Any interest in sharing cost/sqft?

One of my concerns is heavy stuff (chair legs, etc) causing indentations - any thoughts on that?
I'll have to look into cost and get back to you. Our boat is not big and was about 6K I think. I'll follow up with cost/sq ft. It's not cheap but worth it IMO.
No worries about dents. It looks and feels like real wood. If you didn't know, you would think you were on a real teak deck. Not the same with every product. Really good and grippy when wet. No more black footprints on white non-skid with morning dew. If you need to re-do nonskid, it's a good option. Try to look at some locally. Once I did I was sold.
Old 01-06-2021, 06:04 PM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsn48 View Post
I used a Plasdeck product that was used both outside and inside my boat. My boat is wood hence mahogany on the outside. I thought the teek look would be a bit much for that colour of wood and went with a silver with white stripes decking, link below.

I have had many guys stop and talk to me about the decking and like the look on my boat:

https://www.plasdeck.com/marine-deck...ff-white-lines
Not sure about every product, but Permateek offers a variety of colors.
Old 01-07-2021, 07:32 AM   #9
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Looks terrific. Now a request for opinions. The teak on my aft deck needs to be recaulked in several places. The caulk is generally still viable in the rest of the deck but recaulking (big job) the entire deck is probably in order. So, now the question. Rather than recaulking, should I consider synthetic teak and forgo caulk completely? Please, no comments on personal preference for teak. I get that some folks would never consider this. I am looking for technical pros and cons.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 07:56 AM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by catalinajack View Post
Looks terrific. Now a request for opinions. The teak on my aft deck needs to be recaulked in several places. The caulk is generally still viable in the rest of the deck but recaulking (big job) the entire deck is probably in order. So, now the question. Rather than recaulking, should I consider synthetic teak and forgo caulk completely? Please, no comments on personal preference for teak. I get that some folks would never consider this. I am looking for technical pros and cons.
I would suggest you look for a local installer, I assume it can be installed over existing decking, but not 100% certain. You could also email my installer. Even though he is not local, he would likely answer any questions, good guy. The synthetic should be long life and maintenance free once complete. It's not cheap, my boat was almost $7k, but a good upgrade that should add value. The installer will work with you on design details and then create templates which he sends to the factory to manufacture the deck panels which then are glued down to your existing deck.
Old 01-07-2021, 08:02 AM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
I am very pleased with our Plas Deck synthetic teak deck. (see Bacchus webpage for pics & write-up)
I worked with the Co Pres and provided the template and they manufactured the decking and supplied help for a DIT install.

It is warm / hot in the sun but that's a small negative IMO - a spray from RW faucet or bucket of water easily take care of it.
As I recall the cost was around $35 / Sq Ft but memory isn't what ir used to be. Original was a little lower but I opted for a full margin board border to duplicate the traditional teak deck look. No problem at all with scuffs as it is pretty durable and I have sanded a couple areas that showed some scuffs. I typically clean it with a scotch bright pad and cleaner and use "woody wax" as a non-skid protectant.

What sold me was with factory build all seams are plastic welded - other choices were super glued planks and I questioned durability.

A simple dimensioned sketch and they will provide a budget quote.

We also have received MANY very positive comments thinking it was a factory option. Other envious owners in our marina have installed it.

I have used their PlasTeak for interior and also strongly recommend. I posted a thread on that project and can point others to it if interested.
Nice looking job! Did you also do swim platform? I did not do the side decks on my boat because there is no break between them and the bow like you have.
Old 01-07-2021, 08:13 AM   #12
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by backinblue View Post
Nice looking job! Did you also do swim platform? I did not do the side decks on my boat because there is no break between them and the bow like you have.
Thanks
I did not do the swim platform and don't wish I did or feel a need. All depends on the boat and how you use it. A friend did his aft deck and platform on his Tiara as they were more tied together.
Old 01-07-2021, 08:30 AM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Thanks
I did not do the swim platform and don't wish I did or feel a need. All depends on the boat and how you use it. A friend did his aft deck and platform on his Tiara as they were more tied together.
I understand, was just curious. Nice job considering you did all the work yourself. More than I wanted to take on.
Old 01-07-2021, 09:41 AM   #14
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by backinblue View Post
I understand, was just curious. Nice job considering you did all the work yourself. More than I wanted to take on.
Doing template not too bad and 1 man job.
I had 2 friends help w install but not really to bad. It helped to have one spreading adhesive, one rolling it in place and a 3rd set of hands for rags solvent, and periodic cleaning of trowel. My 4 pieces took one afternoon.
I can help w tips if ever interested in DIY.
Old 01-07-2021, 07:29 PM   #15
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Quote:
I was sorta thinking the same thing, though not for myself. There are so many Taiwan trawlers with leaky decks was wondering if removing old teak, then doing some rough fiberglass over (repair any rot, of course), then the synthetic teak. Maybe it would be less expensive look better, and hold up better?

Again, not for me, but there are so many people who ping this forum for advice on new-to-them trawlers and such, thought it might be a good recommendation.

Peter
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 08:12 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Quote:
I recaulked my sundeck a couple if years ago. It was literally the worst job I have ever done on the boat or any of the previous 22 boats we have owned. Maybe my age and poor back condition is part of why this was so bad. I will never do it again. I would tear off the teak and lay some glass down and the Kiwigrip the deck.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 02:25 PM   #17
Veteran Member

City: Whitby
Will synthetic hurt the boats value?

I am debating on whether to replace the dirty interior carpet with teak and Holley 1/2 inch plywood veneer or synthetic teak and Holley. Likely Nuteak. I like the look of the synthetic and the durability of the factory finish. I have a 2006 Mainship 400. I have enjoyed past threads on the issue and Bachus’s site. I used plywood for new floorboards for my sailboat and have the shop and skills to do either.
Q1? Will using synthetic be negative on resale? i.e. be viewed as not as desirable?

Q2? Any other advantages or disadvantages? The purchase price is running about equal.

Thanks. Paul
PaulB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 03:06 PM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulB. View Post
I am debating on whether to replace the dirty interior carpet with teak and Holley 1/2 inch plywood veneer or synthetic teak and Holley. Likely Nuteak. I like the look of the synthetic and the durability of the factory finish. I have a 2006 Mainship 400. I have enjoyed past threads on the issue and Bachus’s site. I used plywood for new floorboards for my sailboat and have the shop and skills to do either.
Q1? Will using synthetic be negative on resale? i.e. be viewed as not as desirable?

Q2? Any other advantages or disadvantages? The purchase price is running about equal.

Thanks. Paul
Either would be a big improvement over carpet. I'd probably give the nod to teak and holly over syn-teak, but I doubt there is a big negative to going with the teak. Do your research, not all are created equal.
Old 01-15-2021, 03:07 PM   #19
TF Site Team

Appreciate the acknowledgement.
I really like the Plasteak sheet with the thin cushion layer. It is noticeably different under foot from the same Mainship factory sheet flooring.
If you had a high end yacht with other natural teak & Holly sole using synthetic might be viewed as a negative... not on a Mainship IMO.
I think both of the synthetic decking projects I have done have added value to our MS. I certainly get many positive compliments.
Old 01-15-2021, 03:15 PM   #20
Guru

Same here Baachus. Not a lot of info here, but some useful stuff....

https://www.practical-sailor.com/boa...-go-toe-to-toe