Stuffing box wrenches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mengering

Vessel Name
El Viaje
Vessel Make
PT motor yacht
I feel like this is a stupid problem to have, but I can’t find stuffing box wrenches large enough for my boat. I’m up to about a drip per second now with the shaft stationary so probably time to tighten. I measure the nuts with calipers at 3 1/4 inches. Even my 14 inch pipe wrench only opens to 3 inches and I’d prefer a smooth jaw so I don’t damage anything. I don’t feel my boat is unusual, a single screw 225HP Lehman but I just can’t find a wrench that will open wide enough. Any help or tips are appreciated.
Glenn & Jessica
El Viaje San Diego

Comod, thanks for that link. Was wondering if I was going to have to have a big crowfoot wrench custom plas-burned.

I cut my own from a piece of plate.

pete

Yorkdesignandfab.com bought two 3.25 inch wrenches. Thank you Comodave.
$100, but better than sinking in the slip for sure.

I welded two from 3/8 x 3/4 cold rolled flat bar.
They are hung in the engine compartment.

I can't say all, but a lot of people make their own. I have a set that came with the new boat, my old boat I had a set made. Cost me 75.00 at a local fab shop for 2 made out of 3/8 plate.

Found one in the bilge of my new boat, home made from 3/8" plate with a square hole for a 1/2" socket drive. With a nice Snap On wrench still attached. I call that a win. Cutting the square hole must have been tricky, it would have been easier to give it an integral handle.

Rigid makes a really nice adjustable wrench for that...

I have one Rigid and one West Marine wrench, it takes two.

I bought a pair of these from Sears back when Craftsman was Craftsman.

Superior Tool 03840 Adjustable Combination Wrench

If your choice has a handle,consider if it is constrained by what surrounds the gland nuts.

I knock the lock nut loose with a hammer. Then snug the gland nut with channel locks. Then snug the lock nut back up with the hammer, holding the gland snug with the channel locks. Easy peasy.

Actually companies like Rigid also offer smooth jawed wrenches. Lots of places where a pipe wrench is needed but not the marks teeth leave.

The old style Monkey Wrenches may be narrower so that may be an advantage.

Attachments

• s-l1000.jpg
    s-l1000.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 17
I got mine at an auction of tools I call it Monkey Wrench My Dad said it looked like a tool that came with Model A's (or was that T's) anyway they are still made and sold. See:
https://www.mcmaster.com/monkey-wrenches/nonmarring-pipe-wrenches-8/
Good luck to you Craig

I've got one of those, and have always known it as a "Ford" wrench! (Nothern Spy, you beat me to it!) Goggle it!

Plus, anyone want one cut out with plasma cutter, send me what you want and I can cut it out for you. Probably 1/4" or 5/16", whatever design you want.

For the design attached, I could do it for $20.00 plus shipping out of 1/4" mild steel. More for AR, greater thickness, or nitrited mild steel. Plus shipping. Pretty much my cost.

Designed for 3.25" nut (with a little play so you can slip it on easily), slightly oversized 1/2" hold for same reason, to insert 1/2" drive socket wrench or breaker bar, space to slip over up to a 2 1/2" driveshaft. Could customize however you want. Just a thought . . . . :dance:

Attachments

• Packing wrench for 3.25  nut.jpg
    Packing wrench for 3.25 nut.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 22
I have a sheetmetal shop and used our Laser Cutting machine to make the wrenchs. The locknut and the gland were different sizes, wouldn't you know!

Chris

A strap wrench that uses chain works well, even in narrow spots where only a bit of handle motion is available.

I've got one of those, and have always known it as a "Ford" wrench! (Nothern Spy, you beat me to it!) Goggle it!

Plus, anyone want one cut out with plasma cutter, send me what you want and I can cut it out for you. Probably 1/4" or 5/16", whatever design you want.

For the design attached, I could do it for $20.00 plus shipping out of 1/4" mild steel. More for AR, greater thickness, or nitrited mild steel. Plus shipping. Pretty much my cost.

Designed for 3.25" nut (with a little play so you can slip it on easily), slightly oversized 1/2" hold for same reason, to insert 1/2" drive socket wrench or breaker bar, space to slip over up to a 2 1/2" driveshaft. Could customize however you want. Just a thought . . . . :dance:

Nice design! I like the "wrap around" hex area!

Back
Top Bottom