Strange wall treatment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aenlic

Veteran Member
My new-to-me 1986 Hershine 37 came with a metallic sort of 'wallpaper' on some walls in the galley. The rest of the walls in wet areas are an off-white material, not sure what it is.

When I pulled off the 'wallpaper,' much of it came right off with no problem. Some parts, however, delaminated, leaving behind a sheet of what looks and feels like Mylar... like one molecule kind of thin. There was also a fairly strong solvent smell for some time after removing the sheets, and the surface left behind is still a bit sticky.

I tried Goof-off on a small area, and it didn't remove the stickiness. I wiped it off quickly, in case it was in fact dissolving the surface.

Has anyone encountered anything like this before? Any clue as to what this is and how I get the kitchen walls to the nice 'eggshell' feel that the rest of this material has?

Thanks-

aenlic

Last edited:
Thanks, RTF. I've actually got all of it off (razor blade scraper, very carefully), but would love to get rid of the gooeys.

I've never heard of 'contact cement solvent...' anyone know what the actual chemical is? I've got the usual collection of woodworking/paint solvents (in my storage unit, of course).

Thanks-

aenlic

Contact cement solvent is available at nearby shop (canadian tire here, and pretty sure at princess auto too!). Not sure of the exact product chemical but looks like a kind of fuel.3M sells one, it smell like fuel for lighters:

3M%2008984.jpg

Used this one on glue and caulking and it is very effective. Soften the glue so you can wipe it but does not damage plastic support.

L.

Greetings,
Mr. a. You might add Xylene and/or Toluene (aromatic solvents-use respiration protection or LOTS of ventilation) to your arsenal of solvents. Both can be used on some plastics and finishes.

The contact cement cleaner I am familiar with, and I'm sure there are several, probably contains similar to the above mentioned solvents.

I have used WD-40 and a cotton cloth to get rid of sticky residue.

Greetings,
Mr. a. You might add Xylene and/or Toluene (aromatic solvents-use respiration protection or LOTS of ventilation) to your arsenal of solvents. Both can be used on some plastics and finishes.

The contact cement cleaner I am familiar with, and I'm sure there are several, probably contains similar to the above mentioned solvents.

Be careful with your ventilation devices Mr. RT, some here (not me) are very sensitive to potential or imagined fire hazards!

Eucalyptus oil is the go-to goo remover of choice. Not hazardous, smells OK! Not sure how readily available it is in your part of the world.

Greetings,
Mr. k. "Be careful with your ventilation devices Mr. RT..." Please explain.

Having worked with fire for 35 years in a previous life I consider MY sensitivity to the potential for uncontrolled fire to be way above the average citizens.

Eucalyptus oil is the go-to goo remover of choice. Not hazardous, smells OK! Not sure how readily available it is in your part of the world.

Yup! This is the natural route to go. I just switched all of my cleaning supplies to theives by young living. This was at the urging of my daughter. It's nice to know it won't hurt marine life. Young living has the eucalyptus oil. Available from any representative including my daughter.

Back
Top Bottom