Storing Open Tubes of Adhesive Sealant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PennBruce

Vessel Name
Last Hurrah
Vessel Make
Ta Chiao/CT35 Sun Deck
A few months back, I read a suggestion for storing open tubes of Adhesive/Sealants in the freezer.

I put a tube of 3M 5200 in my freezer and I have been using it occasionally since then. My little freezer in the boat doesn't get too cold but it is enough to keep the sealant fresh.

Bruce

I wonder if the freeze/thaw/freeze/thaw routine affects the properties of the sealant, although that's what it's subject to after application. I put the cap back on the tube, but the 5200 or 4000 still hardens and it's usually a throwaway. Works with silicon, though

Works for us with Sika 291.

I think it will help slow the curing but may not stop it forever. We put it in the refer sometimes and it seems to be fine after. But I have moved to Sika products and away from 3 M. They just seem to work better.

I use a one inch wood screw as a stopper for my tube of 5200. Screws right out of the hardened sealant in the neck and allows the good stuff to flow from inside. Keeps for years.

storing

I have used the Aluminum tape used for duct work as a seal on the tip of where ever tube I am using, I put it on immediately after using. For some adhesives like 3m, I will seal the large end and store in refrigerator. I also store all catalyst in the refrig. I bought too much Gorilla glue, so its be in the frig for a few years. I don't freeze anything, but close to 32. Separate frig in garage. simple science, cooler it is , slower reactions. Made that tube of 3M last at least a year after opening.

Or just buy the little tubes. More $ per ounce, but that's moot if you have throw half of it away.

I just put a screw in it, and freeze em. Have not noticed anything different and been doing it for many years. Thaws weirdly fast. Crazy.

Greetings,
Freezer also works for keeping mixed epoxy (paint) overnight. Doesn't seem to change terminal chemistry. Cures the same as fresh stuff.

5200 is moisture cured so putting it in the extremely low humidity of a freezer makes sense.

It will work for a while but eventually the whole tube gets hard. They make a toothpaste size tube for the little jobs.

pete

With little tubes there isn`t the mechanical force to pump the stuff out. I`ve been pleasantly surprised by usable consistency out of the freezer, and how it lasts.

Clean tip or threaded tube end with acitone & use "Hot Melt Glue" to seal the end.

Another vote for buying small tubes AND freezing. Big tubes are great if you have a VERY big caulking job, but otherwise ……… Been doing it for years and no failures! Just have to remember to take it out about 30 minutes before you want to use it.

I realized that unopened tubes do not have this problem. The tubes are all metal which you must piece to start using. So I tried aluminum foil under the cap and it works!

Ken

Another vote for buying small tubes AND freezing. Big tubes are great if you have a VERY big caulking job, but otherwise ……… Been doing it for years and no failures! Just have to remember to take it out about 30 minutes before you want to use it.

Yes indeed, the caulking tubes take some time to “defrost” prior to using from the freezer, similar to Loctite glues kept in the normal refrigerator, a little time to get back to room temp to attain it’s instant grip again.
Loctite 406 would generally last around six months at room temp before solidifying, but the last refrigerated bottle is at least six years and still going strong.

I've used the little red rubber caps with good success. Available at most hardware stores in the paint/caulk area.

I hadn't seen those before, thanks! Of course our local hardware stores, Lowe's and Home Depot don't have them. There's an Ace hardware about 15 miles away which shows them in stock, maybe next time I'm out that way (not often) I'll grab a package.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom