Steel Rudder POR 15

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ak-guy

Vessel Name
Troll Hunter
Vessel Make
Allweather
I just painted my steel rudder with POR 15. Of course I wasn't thinking ahead and now I am wondering about anti-fouling paint adhering to the POR 15. POR 15 sells something called Self Etch Primer. Is this what I should use? Have you used POR 15 under bottom paint?

Over the years I have found that Rustoleum Zinc primer is an excellent tie coat to hold anti fouling paint on underwater metals (SS trim tbs, SS rudders, bronze struts etc.) . I would use that paint first and then apply the antifouling paint.

AK,
Since you already have the Por-15 and probably have some bottom paint do a test on some scrap.

Mr. ak. I'd go with what POR 15 recommends. I think their paints and coatings are formulated to work with each other for the best advantage. I've been quite satisfied with MY use of the products albeit in limited and different applications.

I think the self etch primer is supposed to be on the surface to make the POR15 stick better. Not applied on top for the next product. The etching part is referring to bare metal. Mine stuck just fine without it on car parts. The POR15 requires a topcoat of some other paint to protect it in certain circumstances, I seem to recall that you just apply it direct, the instructions on the can should clarify if it needs a scuffing to apply the next layer, your bottom paint. The POR 15 is so thin that I suspect scuffing it would expose bare metal underneath, defeats the purpose.

The self etch primer is specifically for application to cured Por 15 to enable top coats over the POR 15 to adhere.

Greetings,
Mr. ak. I think your correct regarding the self etch primer. It goes OVER the POR to allow application yet another coat of whatever.

Greetings,
Mr. ak. I think your correct regarding the self etch primer. It goes OVER the POR to allow application yet another coat of whatever.

Re that and the fact that Por-15 is very glossy hints that there may very well be adhesion issues w many other coatings. Thank you RT. It's a very different product. Brushes beautifully.

Many of the high grade sealers like Por will work best with a primer applied just before the sealant gets hard.

Back
Top Bottom