Old 10-05-2022, 10:33 PM   #1
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: Slo-Poke
Vessel Model: Jorgensen custom 44
Steel hull repair

We have our boat on the hard right now. We had the hull below waterline sandblasted (big mistake I think). Had I been there I would’ve stopped the sandblaster and rethought the situation.
Anyway we have a hull below the waterline that’s full of 1/4” to 1/2” diameter holes.
The hull is 1/8” thick. We’re considering a re plate of the bottom. I have not had the job quoted yet but was wondering if someone might have a wild guess to what this might cost.
The hull is 44’ long and 13’ wide and flat as a pancake. The yard said 20 to 30k. The frame is in good shape and everything above the waterline is good.
It’s a good old boat and I hate to scrap it. This is just one area but it’s pretty much the same for the entire bottom.
Attached Thumbnails
670EDE4A-5509-4410-91A8-25A20EFA7346.jpg  
Old 10-05-2022, 11:54 PM   #2
Guru

City: Beaufort, NC USA
Vessel Name: Sylphide
Vessel Model: Kingston Aluminum Yacht 44' Custom
Oof, Marty, I'm sorry you have to deal with that! No idea how to help, but I wish you the very best of luck!
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 06:11 AM   #3
Arc
Guru

City: Long island
Vessel Model: Eastern
Sandblasting may have saved your life
Arc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 07:40 AM   #4

City: felton,pa
I agree with Arc. Sandblasting Might have uncovered some bad defects. It is possible to blast a hole in steel if the operator stays in one spot to long. If your redoing the hull you might want think about using little thicker steel. Just my opinion.
trawler nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 07:48 AM   #5
Guru

City: Olympia
Vessel Name: Rendezvous
Vessel Model: Blue water 40
You did the right thing to continue the sandblasting. Itís the best way to identify the problem areas, and also prepares the bottom for new metal.
I totally feel your pain though, I went through this myself. Itís a gut punch when you first realize the scope of the entire project. Luckily for me, I can do all the welding myself, and with some help from my son.
Hopefully you have cheaper yard fees than I did. I paid to have the bottom stripped, but did all the reconstruction myself and it was still eye wateringly expensive. My local boatyard is hugely expensive as thereís no competition. I think just for lay days I paid near 10k. I did mine over the winter of 2020. Covid was in full swing and it was tough scheduling anything. Plus it was our rainy season so I had to build an enclosure over the whole thing so I could keep it dry and warm. I still have ptsd from that winterÖ
Not many people will take on an expensive project that doesnít really add much to the overall value of the vessel.
Iíd hate to see it scrapped too, and I hope you figure out a way to get it repaired.
I used a surveyor to consult with and document the repairs the whole way through the process. Changed out all the through hull fittings to new marelon ones from forspar, installed a drip less shaft seal too. The goal was to completely eliminate water from standing in the bilge. My issues were mostly from water inside the boat causing problems. Yours look more like the metal eroding from the exterior.
The best way to repair it is to cut out and replace the metal. Another way would be to overplate what you have. Just plating over would probably be cheaper, and the boat will most likely outlive you. You have to use weld primer on all the metal youíre covering up to keep corrosion to a minimum.
I coated the hull with tar epoxy after the repairs. That typically is about a 20 year lifespan for protection on the exterior.
If thereís any commercial yards that do work on tugboats and similar vessels they would be more used to this type of work. Of course you canít move the boat now that itís all opened up so you need someone to do it where youíre at.
Good luck to you, whatever you decide.
Bmarler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 08:01 AM   #6
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Oh damn, Iím sorry to see this.

Iím so out of the loop, I didnít realize you had switched boats. When did you sell William?
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 10:04 AM   #7
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
If that's typical, you need to replate the bottom. How are the sides, bow, and transom? Certainly doesn't need to be done by a certified welder as the boat doesn't have a COI.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 10:53 AM   #8

City: Cairns
Sorry to read this. To be fair it would be a rare event for sand blasting not to uncover bad news but the scope would have been a shock. I'd agree that it's much better to find out now than out at sea.

I'd take the opportunity to also investigate what the actual cause was. It's hard to tell from the photos but has the rust eaten it's way from the outside in?
GoneDiving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 11:15 AM   #9

City: Out and About
Vessel Model: Sold-GB 52 Europa, Queenship 59, Tolly 45
Does your boat have an isolation transformer? The hull looks like it may have been subject to stray current corrosion caused by other boats in the marina.
gsholz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 01:23 PM   #10
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
One way to cut the cost is add plating over the existing bottom. It's commonly done on larger vessels where weight isn't an issue. That way you don't have all the cutting and welding prep. You still have to cut gaps in the new plate to tie it to the existing plating, especially to ribs and stringers. But it saves hours of detail cutting each little space along the bottom. Plus cutting old steel that may have rusted spots and paint on one side is a PIA. A plasma arc makes a nice cut thru old steel. It's faster and easier to cut new plate outside the boat. Where you have the holes now would be welded to the new plate so you don't get water between the layers.

Look up the weight of 1/8" plating and figure how much you need and you'll see how much weight you'd be adding to the boat. And your old 1/8" plate obviously isn't 1/8" currently.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 02:36 PM   #11
Guru

City: Jacksonville Beach, FL
Vessel Model: Back in the market looking
Painful discovery, all right, though best discovered while on the hard.

If your yard would cooperate, it might be worthwhile having a couple of other welding shops price the job. At 44' x 13' with no upperworks, the boat appears to be truckable. As Ted notes, since it is an uninspected vessel, you wouldn't necessarily need a specialty welder. I agree with Lepke, it would be interesting to know how much weight overplating would add. At least it would be low to the center of gravity!

All that said, $20K to $30K doesn't sound crazy to me.
Old 10-10-2022, 01:05 PM   #12
Veteran Member

City: Albuquerque
Quote:
Originally Posted by trawler nut View Post
I agree with Arc. Sandblasting Might have uncovered some bad defects. It is possible to blast a hole in steel if the operator stays in one spot to long. If your redoing the hull you might want think about using little thicker steel. Just my opinion.
If the OP would not mind, I suggest this illustrates the positive aspects of a steel hull... Namely, a relatively straight forward repair/re-plate. I work with steel and while unfortunately, likely owing to current economics, the repair would be significant in cost, the idea of plating with a heavier gauge makes a great deal of sense should the weight not be excessive.

1/8" steel is about 6 lbs per square foot, and 3/16" almost 9, so he would be adding about 1/2 his original hull weight. It could just be done with the bottom portion, where the majority of the corrosion took place, reducing that significantly...
gc9773 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 01:08 PM   #13
Veteran Member

City: Albuquerque
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc View Post
Sandblasting may have saved your life
And I second this BIG TIME! The OP did things correctly and did not "half *ss" the inspection...
gc9773 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 02:52 PM   #14
Guru

City: NC
Are the holes from rusting out? Was the interior of the hull painted?

Thanks,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 03:23 PM   #15

City: West Newbury.
Vessel Name: Morning Light
Vessel Model: Webbers Cove 42 Trawler
No one above has mentioned the interior -- you can't do any welding without removing or isolating the interior. It's even worse if the hull is insulated with foam rather than fiberglass. Removing and replacing interior could cost more than the steelwork.

Jim
Circumnavigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 04:26 PM   #16
Guru

City: NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circumnavigator View Post
No one above has mentioned the interior -- you can't do any welding without removing or isolating the interior. It's even worse if the hull is insulated with foam rather than fiberglass. Removing and replacing interior could cost more than the steelwork.

Jim

Good point. One of Kasten's designs caught fire when being built when welding outside of the boat caused a spark to fly into the interior and started a fire. The forward section of the boat had to be replaced as a result. I think the hot bit flew through a port hole. What are the odds?

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 04:48 PM   #17

City: Grand Rapids, MI
Vessel Name: Arcturus
Vessel Model: 1973 Concorde 41 DC
That usually doesn't happen from sparks. It's the heat radiating through the steel, it gets just as hot inside as out and will torch anything in contact, even the paint. It's wise to set a fire watch inside any time welding is done on the outside.
jgwinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 04:55 PM   #18
Guru

City: Los Angeles
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgwinks View Post
That usually doesn't happen from sparks. It's the heat radiating through the steel, it gets just as hot inside as out and will torch anything in contact, even the paint. It's wise to set a fire watch inside any time welding is done on the outside.
Sound advice. When I have welded on the inside of the hull I was able to
keep from burning off the exterior paint by having a buddy mist the outside
area with a light water stream.
Old 10-10-2022, 07:31 PM   #19
Veteran Member

City: Annapolis / Ft Myers
Vessel Name: Myrtea / Harbor Quest
Vessel Model: CL Bermuda 30, Egg 40
Alternative?

I am by no means a naval or structural engineer but would find one to lend an opinion of a fiberglass and epoxy skin over the existing steel hull.

Thoughts anyone?
CaptRowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 09:14 PM   #20
Ric
Veteran Member

I agree with earlier posts that (1) you need to diagnose the source of the problem before sorting a repair and (2) one-eighth is very skimpy, and you should check the rest of the hull above WL by ultrasound. No use spending a lot and then finding more issues later. This is a potential heartbreaker but get a surveyorís counsel and be very dispassionate when you make your decision. Trying to save a doomed boat has broken many a mariner.
Ric is offline   Reply With Quote