Spring Improvement Projects

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moonstruck

Guru
Vessel Name
Moonstruck
Vessel Make
Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Looking at the calendar it's spring whether it feels like it or not. So, here goes our projects starting.

We are doing the 4th complete do over of our 1966 Boston Whaler. The boat is older than my youngest son. We have run it everywhere. The last time we redid it we re-gelcoated it. It now has a 90hp 4 stroke Mercury on it. It is getting a complete tune up and servicing. The mahogany woodwork is getting some wood replaced and all new varnish. It is an awesome little boat.

We pulled our sons around with it. When they were old enough they skied with it. We have towed it like a dinghy for a few thousand miles. Now my youngest grandson is turning 16, and they are skiing with it. There has been a lot of learning on that boat.

On Little Moonstruck, our Blackfin, I plan on new batteries, some varnishing, and general polishing up. On Moonstruck, our Sabre, I plan on installing the ProIso charging system and generally polishing up.

We are still toying with the idea of going to the Bahamas for 4 to 6 weels sometime in May.

Don, Is your Whaler a 17' with mahogany console? I used to have (Might still) the construction drawings from whaler for this console. I made 1 out of it and several friends made consoles from it.

Don, Is your Whaler a 17' with mahogany console? I used to have (Might still) the construction drawings from whaler for this console. I made 1 out of it and several friends made consoles from it.

Hey Capt. Jack. Yes it is the 17' Montauk with mahogany console. You can buy the knocked down mahogany console parts for $700. The wood alone to build one is a little over $200. A mahogany windshield with glass and trim assembled is available for $250.

I'm kind of a freak for varnished mahogany and teak. It just does something for me. The Blackfin has teak cabinetry, trim, and covering boards. When it's cleaned up it really turns heads. I guess I'm an old traditionalist.:oldman:

Greetings,
"When it's cleaned up it really turns heads." The same might be said of me....

awesome.gif

Mr. RT that is the definition of sharpness!

Hey Capt. Jack. Yes it is the 17' Montauk with mahogany console. You can buy the knocked down mahogany console parts for $700. The wood alone to build one is a little over $200. A mahogany windshield with glass and trim assembled is available for $250.

I'm kind of a freak for varnished mahogany and teak. It just does something for me. The Blackfin has teak cabinetry, trim, and covering boards. When it's cleaned up it really turns heads. I guess I'm an old traditionalist.:oldman:
I agree , it does turn heads! I would gladly have paid $700 for the kit parts, I didn't know they were available. In mine,I put smoked grey windows in it and sold the boat to an employee of Boston Whaler after a complete restoration.

I'm kind of a freak for varnished mahogany and teak. It just does something for me.

Couldn't agree more! I will say, however, that hiring the "varnisher" enhances the euphoria of having a teak trimmed boat.

Attachments

• IMG_3861.jpg
    IMG_3861.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_3869.jpg
    IMG_3869.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_3327.jpg
    IMG_3327.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 100
  • DSCN1328.JPG
    DSCN1328.JPG
    106.1 KB · Views: 86
  • Renee @ the Helm.jpg
    Renee @ the Helm.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 92
Hey Don, Have any pics of that Whaler? I too love the older mahogany consoled style with birds egg blue interior. Looked at one here recently with a Honda 4 stroke. As much as I like the Honda's, they don't look right on that boat.

Hey Don, Have any pics of that Whaler? I too love the older mahogany consoled style with birds egg blue interior. Looked at one here recently with a Honda 4 stroke. As much as I like the Honda's, they don't look right on that boat.

We just did get the wood back on it. Now we are mounting the power tilt control on the steering shaft and cutting holes for binnacle, compass, and ignition. It's coming together. I'll try to get pictures when all done. Going down to Ft. Pierce tomorrow to install the charging upgrades on Moonstruck.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom