Source for gold nameboard lettering

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pat T

Vessel Name
Moondance
Vessel Make
Grand Banks CL 42
New boat so I must change name of port. Looks like PO had letters painted gold with black outline. It looks nice but I'm looking to make it easy. Plan is to strip wood then varnish, then paste/stick on lettering, and then varnish. I want to make it look somewhat like the original. Do you know of an internet company I can use for lettering? Other tips/advice always appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_1818[1].jpg
    IMG_1818[1].jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 18
Any company that does vinyl lettering can make that up for you. Give google a search for one near you.

Check BoatUS for lettering. Worked well for us.

Boat US makes it easy. Shipped to your door. Just get on their web page.
If you don't see what you prefer on the website don't hesitate to call and discuss. Ive found them more flexible than only what is on the website.

Boat US makes it easy. Shipped to your door. Just get on their web page.
If you don't see what you prefer on the website don't hesitate to call and discuss. Ive found them more flexible than only what is on the website.

I did mine with gold leaf. Did both complete in s day.

Go to grandbankschoices and dig down. Resprayed last year.

So I decided to go with simple black lettering for the port. I called Boat US and they say they don't recommend varnish over their letters b/c they will fail. But I could use an auto clear coat over the letters. But then I want to go over with varnish again
( because the board will need periodic maintenance) and they say then you need a clear coat that is compatible with varnish. Of course! So my thought is varnish, first so that I have a smooth surface to paste the letter on. Then clear coat for the letters. Then final coats of varnish . What clear coat is compatible with varnish?

I have varnish on mine for a year or 2 now. No signs of failure.

I have varnish on mine for a year or 2 now. No signs of failure.
Good to know Charlie, thanks. Seems to me if you put down on varnish and then cover with varnish it might be ok. I may just go ahead and try. Worst that can happen is I start from scratch in a year or two. Boat US lettering was less than $30 delivered!

The teak boards on my IG were engraved with the letters. After a major clean up, they looked awful,, I finished the letters in full gloss bright yellow oil paint (over undercoat/primer). Then varnished (Cetol) the whole board, incl the yellow letters. Looked good, even without gold leaf.

I can do it I have a vinyl cutter. I re did ours a couple months ago.

Attachments

• 20200829_140641.jpg
    20200829_140641.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 20200909_172927.jpg
    20200909_172927.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 4
Back
Top Bottom