Shower drain plumbing thoughts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Has anybody tried the Supersump shower set up from Trionic Corp ?
The Trionic is a 4 gallon plastic tank with float, pump and screens.
The description is not very detailed but the features appear to be good.
We are liveaboards and just bought and installed the Rule sump system and it does not work for us, too flimsy, not happy. Free to a good home when I replace it.
The Gulper pump sounds like a great idea but we have a few inlets that need to be pumped overboard. Shower, sink, AC, and shaft sumps all go overboard.

Has anybody tried the Supersump shower set up from Trionic Corp ?
The Trionic is a 4 gallon plastic tank with float, pump and screens.
The description is not very detailed but the features appear to be good.
We are liveaboards and just bought and installed the Rule sump system and it does not work for us, too flimsy, not happy. Free to a good home when I replace it.
The Gulper pump sounds like a great idea but we have a few inlets that need to be pumped overboard. Shower, sink, AC, and shaft sumps all go overboard.
The smallest Whale (Gulper) sump has up to 8 inlet points. It holds just 2.2 gallons and has an integrated solid state switch.

Attachments

• 503797.jpg
    503797.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 183
The smallest Whale (Gulper) sump has up to 8 inlet points. It holds just 2.2 gallons and has an integrated solid state switch.

Beat me to it!

The Gulper sump is small, but it’s designed to evacuate quickly. It’s on our shortlist to centralize our shower outflows and eliminate some thruhulls...

Last edited by a moderator:
Do not go back to the setup where the shower with all the associated hair and soap gunk goes into a sump with filter and a small centrifugal bilge pump unless you are a glutton for punishment desirous of the never-ending cleaning duties associated with those things. So far, the boats I have owned have sinks above the waterline draining directly over the side while showers always have their pans below the water line and require a pump somewhere along the line.
Those Gulper pumps are an expensive and efficient mod; so don't dump them for a little noise. On my little Mainship Pilot, I had the dreaded Attwood sump box with the useless innards, but I pulled out the plastic "filter" and the tiny centrifugal pump leaving the float switch and mounted a Whale pump designed for shower sumps on top of the box with a suction hose going down into the box. Now I never have to get down on my knees again to clear out that box and can leave the switch on all the time. Second boat I have done this with and no issues thereafter.

rgano,
Would you post a photo of your sump/gulper set up; I'd like to do something similar.

I wouldn't change a thing! When I started reading your post, I was ready to answer "Switch to a Whale Gulper IC and forget about it."

rgano,
Would you post a photo of your sump/gulper set up; I'd like to do something similar.

I would gladly do so but I am away from home on a vessel delivery. Maybe done and home in a week or so. But really, it's just a Gulper sitting atop the clear plastic cover of one of those Attwood sumps with the Gulper wired to the float switch left in the Attwood box after all the other components were removed.

If it's helpful, here is a picture of my setup before and after installing a Gulper pump & sump. The Whale sump is a little larger so I added a larger starboard base.

Attachments

• IMG_3457.jpeg
    IMG_3457.jpeg
    169.5 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_3463.jpeg
    IMG_3463.jpeg
    154 KB · Views: 36
Reactions: TJM
Shower sump drain-Gulper Setup

My set up-drains air conditioning and shower.

Attachments

• 28C99E7B-C9BB-4605-9080-EC6A5ADE6AEA.jpeg
    28C99E7B-C9BB-4605-9080-EC6A5ADE6AEA.jpeg
    74 KB · Views: 27
  • 807FEA4E-EA2C-4019-9003-E678B7B1E013.jpeg
    807FEA4E-EA2C-4019-9003-E678B7B1E013.jpeg
    64.7 KB · Views: 25
As other have stated, the gulper is an upgrade, keep it.

I bet the PO or whoever the PO hired used the original 3/4” host as a chase to make installing the new hose easier through both stringers and up the blind turn into the show pan.

Noisy yes but easier and low/no maintenance = leave it alone.

rgano,
I'm pretty good at wiring. My question is more to do with the plumbing of the Gulper pump to integrate with the sump box with the internal pump removed.

rgano,
I'm pretty good at wiring. My question is more to do with the plumbing of the Gulper pump to integrate with the sump box with the internal pump removed.

If you get the Gulper pump/sump combo, then you're getting rid of the old sump box.

If you get the Gulper pump (Gray Water IC, I think), If you have a little space, you can use PVC to make a manifold. String together a bunch of T fittings, and run one of your drain hoses (sink, shower, AC condensate pan, etc.) hose into each one. The last one (make it the largest diameter T) goes into the Gulper.

https://www.pvcfittingsonline.com/pvc-reducing-insert-tee-1401-209.html
https://www.whalepumps.com/marine/product.aspx?Category_ID=10020&Product_ID=10040&FriendlyID=Grey-IC

If you get the Gulper pump/sump combo, then you're getting rid of the old sump box.

If you get the Gulper pump (Gray Water IC, I think), If you have a little space, you can use PVC to make a manifold. String together a bunch of T fittings, and run one of your drain hoses (sink, shower, AC condensate pan, etc.) hose into each one. The last one (make it the largest diameter T) goes into the Gulper.

https://www.pvcfittingsonline.com/pvc-reducing-insert-tee-1401-209.html
https://www.whalepumps.com/marine/product.aspx?Category_ID=10020&Product_ID=10040&FriendlyID=Grey-IC

It is not required to get rid of the old sump box, nor in some cases should it. The Whale sump/Gulper combo is way kewl, but I did not go that route. I did not do a manifold because the box had the condensate pan drain line from the ac unit. That periodic drain needs a triggering device to tell the Gulper to operate; so I left the Rule flipper switch in there to trigger the Gulper which has a suction tub just stuck into the bottom of the sump box.

Here's my Whale pump powered through the float switch in the Attwood box sitting on top of the box.

Attachments

• Whale sump pump.jpg
    Whale sump pump.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 9

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom