Old 11-06-2022, 08:51 AM   #1
Guru

City: Vermont
Vessel Name: Luna C.
Vessel Model: 1977 Marine Trader 34DC
Shortening the mast.

Top of my wooden mast has some rot above the spreader.

With the current mast I put my air draft roughly at 18.5 feet. I would like to get that down to under 17’ for cruising the Champlain and Erie canals without lowering the mast.

The mast above the spreader is 22” high, so I plan to remove that and lower the spreader that same amount. That will put my mast at about 10’ long, and give air draft just under 17’

My mast is mounted on my aft cabin roof and I was planning on adding a nice strong bracket above on the aft flybridge deck to the mast and should be able to get rid of my guy wires.

Who has done something similar (I’m looking at you Pete)?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
D43A0190-7E26-4DC8-87EA-5AF26B01BBD4.jpg   AC752027-E33D-4F2E-9E9A-9B1A5BE7396C.jpg   636123B9-4D23-46FB-B9AE-70AE1153C161.jpg   2EE2380A-627C-4879-875D-82BB3BF3B16A.jpg   4923F3CB-A299-421A-87EF-300743B7ED4C.jpg  

CharlieO. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 09:04 AM   #2
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
Thee problem will be the guide wires. I certain there are places that can shorten them and add loops and fittings but by shortening the mast you will change the angles of the wires. They may become a walking hazard.

Do you have any plans for the boom? If you can get rid of it and shorten the mast by a little more than the 22 inches you have planned you might be able to get rid of the guide wires. Right now the boom looks to be as long as the mast is high. I got rid of mine and don't miss it a bit. It was always in the way.

I would do a more severe cut on the mast.It is what I did and I am happy with it.

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 09:14 AM   #3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Meisinger View Post
Thee problem will be the guide wires. I certain there are places that can shorten them and add loops and fittings but by shortening the mast you will change the angles of the wires. They may become a walking hazard.

Do you have any plans for the boom? If you can get rid of it and shorten the mast by a little more than the 22 inches you have planned you might be able to get rid of the guide wires. Right now the boom looks to be as long as the mast is high. I got rid of mine and don't miss it a bit. It was always in the way.

I would do a more severe cut on the mast.It is what I did and I am happy with it.

pete
I do plan retaining use of the boom mainly for lifting our dingy, secondly for a hammock or hanging chair and thirdly for MOB recovery. Oh and our steadying sail.
Old 11-06-2022, 10:30 AM   #4
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Charlie:

One of the first significant improvements that I made to Retreat was the mast. My original wasn't too tall, but it was mounted to the upper deck and guyed to 4 well secured eyebolts. The first lift that I did brought it down due to the failure of the tabernacle, a cast aluminum OEM piece that broke in half under the forces generated by lifting a Sabot with a racing weight of under 50 lbs.
I replaced the tabernacle with one made from 1/4" SS 1x4 angle brackets. that was all I did the first year. Later on, I built a new mast. It is taller by several feet. It stands on the lower deck and is supported at the lip of the upper deck by an aluminum grip that reuses the original base location, and eliminated the need for guy wires. That alone is a significant improvement, as I no longer fear decapitation when using the steps between the lower and upper decks. The mast itself is lightweight, being built from 3" aluminum pipe. The original spreaders were re-used, the radar is mounted high enough, I have a stand made of 1" aluminum square tubing that I pin to the back side of the mast when lowering it, that swings down under its own weight and supports the mast on the cabin roof, to be low for entering my shelter. Lowering and raising each take less than a minute, a one person job.

I also lengthened the boom, as it really didn't work in its former length. I then used it to deploy and recover my Laser for several years. The Laser weighs 150 lb, 13' long x 5' wide. When using the mast and boom for lifts, I run a temporary stay from the Radar base to the bottom of my helm chair, where it is bolted to the floor.

In your case, you need to evaluate the weight of your present wood mast to decide if a shorter, unstayed mast will work for you. I think the weight of your wood mast will be several times the weight of a taller aluminum mast, so you might want to consider that before retaining wood as your material of choice.
Aluminum irrigation pipe was cheap when I did mine. I don't know how expensive it is now.
Old 11-06-2022, 10:46 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
I added a mast to a previous boat that didnít have one. Mine was just for electronics and the radar. I bought a used spinnaker pole that was damaged. Added a spreader. Then we mounted it to the deck and added a bracket at the bridge deck level. Didnít have any guy wires but we werenít lifting anything with it either.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 12:50 PM   #6
Guru

I think I will work with what I have for now with exception of fabricating the flybridge deck to mast bracket.

I think my plan is to leave the guy wires in the original location on the mast to keep the original geometry. I will be redoing all my backing blocks for my guy wire stantions anyway.

I will just drill my current spreader to friction fit it lower on the mast and secure it mechanically and chemically.

After next season I will evaluate its effectiveness and decide if I need to modify or replace it.

There is really only one guy wire that is in my way and it is on the same side as I plan to lift the dingy so it really takes no load.
Attached Thumbnails
E5758116-396E-4AED-8B8C-48C5A0612207.jpg   image.jpg  
Old 11-06-2022, 03:00 PM   #7
Guru

City: Trenton
I would dig out the rot and put a dutchman in it. Epoxy everything liberally. Paint.

Oh wait. I just did that.
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 03:24 PM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by alormaria View Post
I would dig out the rot and put a dutchman in it. Epoxy everything liberally. Paint.

Oh wait. I just did that.
I thought about doing that but this gave me an excuse to shorten my mast a bit for canal travel. I do still want to get a bracket fabricated to hopefully lose the guy wires.

I'd still make it lowerable in case I wanted to get to Buffalo or something.
Old 11-24-2022, 11:54 AM   #9
Guru

Any suggestions for running the new wires through the mast ?

I thought since there were four wires going up the inside of the mast they would be easy to replace. I pulled them out with a string attached but could not get the string back through with the wires attached. I staggered them so it wasn't one bg wad going up. I had two tries with string. Was able to get some tie wire from one end to the other but still could not get my wires pulled.

I currently have two new wires going from the base of the mast to coming out under the spreader for my spreader lights. I have been unsuccessful in getting two more wires from the base to the top for the anchor light. The mast is 10' long.
Old 11-24-2022, 05:46 PM   #10
Guru

I was wondering what chance of success I might have using this. I know I wouldn't be able freehand drill the length of the mast but hoping the existing hole would guide/pilot this long bit. I'd obviously have to drill from both ends.

https://www.kleintools.com/catalog/f...t-38-x-72-inch
Old 11-25-2022, 07:55 AM   #11
Guru

Thats not a bad price at $45 via home depot. I thought it would be much more expensive and was going to suggest welding a piece of threaded rod to it.
You might do that anyway if you can get the rod the same size as your existing hole. That way it could be your guide.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 03:17 PM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
Thats not a bad price at $45 via home depot. I thought it would be much more expensive and was going to suggest welding a piece of threaded rod to it.
You might do that anyway if you can get the rod the same size as your existing hole. That way it could be your guide.
I figure for that price it was worth a try, my slight worry is that pilot tip would grab and take it out the side or something. If I'm successful and can resell the bit it'll be worth the try. Just wondering if somebody had someway I hadn't thought of.
Old 11-25-2022, 03:55 PM   #13
Guru

City: Green Turtle Bay
Vessel Name: GOTCHA
Vessel Model: Hatteras 58 LRC
I have a new saws all. How short do you want it?
Old 11-25-2022, 04:09 PM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgarriso View Post
I have a new saws all. How short do you want it?
The shortening part was easy, getting the new wires throughnot so much...
Old 11-25-2022, 04:36 PM   #15
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. CO. I think your concern regarding the screw tip grabbing is valid. If they only made the same sort of extended flexible shaft with a standard bit.

Maybe 1 or 2 of these with a spade bit?

Drill Bit Extension - 1/4" X 48" Ah.. I noticed they make a 6' version...
Old 11-25-2022, 04:57 PM   #16
Guru

City: Trenton
Why not put a molding up the front or back of the mast with interior space for the new wires?

I did this because my RADAR cable is way too thick for the mast wire chase. Also I take the RADAR down and put the mast and boom inside each winter so it needs to be easily accessible. Makes for easier shrink wrapping.
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 05:03 PM   #17
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Re: Post #16. Now THERE'S one smart feller!

Old 11-25-2022, 05:12 PM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by alormaria View Post
Why not put a molding up the front or back of the mast with interior space for the new wires?

I did this because my RADAR cable is way too thick for the mast wire chase. Also I take the RADAR down and put the mast and boom inside each winter so it needs to be easily accessible. Makes for easier shrink wrapping.
My TV antenna I run on the outside of the mast, and have considered running everything on the outside of the mast through a wire mold.

My struggle is having OCD and owning a taiwanese trawler.

I'd really like to keep the anchor and spreader light wiring internal.
Old 11-25-2022, 06:25 PM   #19
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Anyone consider aluminum mast?
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 08:02 AM   #20
Guru