Old 12-22-2016, 10:29 PM   #41

City: Anacortes
Vessel Name: Adelante
Vessel Model: Shin Shing, Eagle 35'
To clarify, I am talking about the shaft tube between cutlass and stuffing box. Mine is fiberglass. I've spoken with guys first hand that drive one out using hammers and such. I think it took a week. Grrrrrrrr
Jbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 05:22 AM   #42
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Typical, maybe even easier than some.

If I have laptop internet tonight, I will post photos of one TFers struggle.

Until there is a bigger issue, such as massive leakage into bilge spaces, many of us opted to not repair the Shaft log/tube.

Water working its way into the keel might be inevitable with no great way to tell from where,
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 03:30 PM   #43
yo
Veteran Member

I think that psneeld is on the right track in post #24 I would try and drive the bolts back
into the stringer and I think that the brass plate can be unscrewed from the shaft log.
If you are worried about clearance to turn the plate the only thing under it is thin layer of fiber glass mating which covers the rock and cement in the keel . good luck
yo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 04:23 PM   #44

City: Green Cove Springs, Florida
If it was mine and I had to cut the studs to get it off and the shaft tube was found to be compromised I think I would install a fiberglass pipe and do away with the bronze altogether. One might even be able to get the fiberglass to thread onto the old shaft tube with epoxy or other sealer to maintain its integrity then fiberglass it into the area of the so called stringer where bolts currently protrude. This all assumes there is adequate space to lengthen the log pipe a little to provide space to laminate it in place. First choice of course is to disassemble the existing hardware, repair or replace then reinstall...
bglad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 10:46 PM   #45
Guru

City: Cape Cod
Vessel Name: Slip Aweigh
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
Gabilgerat: How have you made out? It seems from the pics you got into a big job. Any progress?
cappy208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 06:34 PM   #46
Veteran Member

City: Conn
Vessel Name: Queen Neptune
Vessel Model: Mainship
Is this plate, perhaps a backing block? Looking at the pic it does not look forged to the extension. My cutlass bearing installed from the outside.

The backing plate might be threaded, though I doubt it. While I was at the job and the shaft is out---change the cutlass bearing--
Old 10-02-2017, 04:53 PM   #47

City: Cobourg, ON
Vessel Name: DIGBY
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 34 DC
Have a MT 34 that I have to lay up for winter. This past winter the skeg opened up from freezing. After reading your posts, just wondering (a) if the shaft tube is my issue (b) would drilling a hole in the bottom of the skeg and filling every spring alleviate my problem?
Appreciate any comments on this.
tsunami3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 05:28 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Does the 34 have a hollow keel? If so, water can collect inside it and it will freeze. Can you access the top of the area from inside? If so, you can drill a small hole and use a dip stick to see if there is water in the keel or not. If there is water and you have the room to use a hole saw to make a hole large enough to insert a hose for a shop vac, you may be able to remove the water that way. I would rather not drill holes in the bottom if you can help it. However if you have to drill the bottom of the keel you might be able to install a drain like on small boats with a removable plug so you don't have to repair the hole and redrill each year.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 05:34 PM   #49
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr./Ms. t3. Welcome aboard. We had a 34' MT and the keel was filled with cement. If this is the case in your MT as well, I see little option, at this point, than to drill a hole and attempt to drain the keel prior to this year's freeze-up to prevent further damage. It's a bit late in the season, IMO, to start assessing and repairing leaky keels (whatever the reason). Just think, you will have the whole winter to look forward to your spring "to do" list.

I see 20cm of snow forecast for Calgary. It's coming, my friend...
Old 10-02-2017, 06:26 PM   #50
Guru

City: Cape Cod
Vessel Name: Slip Aweigh
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
@ T3:

My boat has a concrete filled keel, and I am also concerned about water, freezing and damage.

My compromise when hauling out has been to put the boat bow down (in the three years I have owned her) and have a drain hole forward to keep the bilge dry. The concrete is aft. Thus the free bilge is fwd.

The only problem is the decks don't drain properly. I have to have her shrink wrapped promptly and keep new O Rings in the fuel fills on deck to keep the rain out until the shrinkwrap is on. (and to be prepared for shrinkwrap failure.)

I would doubt the shaft log is the problem. The bottom of the keel is where the water collects and freezes (expands)

As RTF commented; a bronze 1/2" drain plug installed would help keep the keel dry. BUT this would only be if the concrete has a free flowing limberhole from front to back.
cappy208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 06:04 PM   #51

City: Cobourg, ON
Vessel Name: DIGBY
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 34 DC
Thanks for your input Comodave, RT Firefly and Cappy 208.
After reassessing my situation today I am unable to access the area from the bilge, cement and who knows what else i'm guessing.
So my experiment this winter will be to block it bow down and drill a hole in the forward part of the bilge, I shrink wrap so hopefully drainage will not be an issue.
I'll advise results of experiment in spring, hopefully all will be fine.
tsunami3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 06:06 PM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Good luck, let us know what happens when you drill the hole.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 06:52 PM   #53
Enigma

Greetings,
Messrs. c208 and t3. Apologies for being so vague (post #49). What I was suggesting was:

Lay the hull up level or very slightly down at the stern and drill a hole (1/2" maybe) into the side of the keel below the stuffing box and allow any accumulated water to drain thus preventing (hopefully) any water staying in the keel and causing freeze damage over the winter. This is a preventative measure ONLY. Nothing to do with rectification of the original question (post#47). Hole can be readily filled before spring launch...

EDIT: Sorry Mr. t3. I guess that's what you originally asked, so yes.

While any one of the above suggestions may be the best fix, the rapidly approaching sub-zero, snow filled months are NOT the best time to be tearing apart the keel of your boat unless it is stored inside, preferably in a heated climate controlled building with a fully equipped shop (I wish...).

The mostly level lay-up should minimize those issues experienced by Mr. c208 regarding deck drainage.
Old 10-03-2017, 07:14 PM   #54
Guru

City: Philadelphia, PA
Vessel Name: Revel
Vessel Model: 1984 Fu Hwa 39
I'd bet that a drain installed at the aft, lowest part of the keel would work as intended, even if the keel were concreted. Concrete shrinks as it cures and it does not stick to fiberglass. Water will weep, slowly to be sure, out the drain. Obviously install as low as possible.

I'm not an enthusiast of extra holes in the hull, particularly one like this typical drain which is held in by three measly little screws.
Attached Images

DHeckrotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 11:23 PM   #55

City: La Conner, WA
Vessel Name: Agnus Dei
Vessel Model: 36' Shin Shing
I have the same boat (I think), mine is an Eagle 36. The Title says 35... but I won't argue over a foot, (the TL is 38' from anchor tho the back of the swim platform). I have the EXACT same problem. I had a constant drip of 1 drip per second when we brought her home to La Conner (Shelter Bay), but has now stopped. I was told by other Taiwanese owners that their shaft logs were into the packing sleeve with only 2 threads. My crossmember is all soft and eaten away by the years of dripping I guess. Will be hauling out next spring for the repair. I will not go cruising knowing this condition exists. Please forward pictures as you can with your repair.

Dave
Old 10-04-2017, 08:31 AM   #56
Enigma

Greetings,
CORRECTION to post #53. "...below the stuffing box..." SHOULD read "below the cutlass bearing". Below the stuffing box would be too far forward. Mr. DH's description of the location is more appropriate. Sorry.
Old 10-04-2017, 09:07 AM   #57
Guru

City: gulf coast
In addition to a drain hole at bottom of the keel a small vent hole i side the baaot at the top of the keel may aid drainage.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 07:14 AM   #58
Guru

City: Warwick, RI
Vessel Name: Susan Helena
Vessel Model: Albin40
Same problem on my Albin 40. Developed a hairline crack at the skeg/keel junction just below the cutlass bearing. It would weep all winter, and was probably opened up by freezing. I tapped a 1/2" hole in the side of the keel near the bottom and let the water seep out there. Now it doesn't weep out the crack. I use a 1 1/2" stainless bolt and 4200 in the hole to plug it in the spring. Not sure what I drilled into, but three years and the threads are still grabbing the bolt. It's not torqued too tight though.
mike66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 08:46 PM   #59
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
Add the drain hole.
You could glass a bump of much thicker glass around the area to be drilled and where the drain fitting is to be mounted. Just make that bump several times the diameter of the drain fitting. That way the screws or machine screws, tapped holes, would have additional bite and security. If the threading in the glass wears then fill with thickened epoxy and something like minifibres for strength, and the retap the holes.

I don't have this problem but I might even use helicoils in the glass bump. Seal it well and the heli coils should last many years.
But either way the area would be strengthened and last a long time.
C lectric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 07:16 PM   #60
Guru

City: Port Townsend
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabilgerat View Post
Hi Yall, new here, I work on yachts but have little experience in trawlers, I have a MT that has had a leak around the stuffing box flange where it mounts to the stringer., I need some help on how to go about repairing this leak. first is the plate on the stuffing box made to the shaft tube? and if so how do I get the plate off, some one has attempted to repair/seal it with resin from the inside but it didn't work, now I have to grind this resin off just to get to the plate, I have the shaft out and stuffing box hose off and can see where the shaft has rubbed on the lower edge of the hose flange , I can look down the tube and don't see any cracks or damage to the tube
,any help would be greatly appreciated!
Here's what can happen. The shaft log rusted, and is worse where its closest to the stuffing box at the threads. So it leaks and rots out the bulkhead. It all has to be cut out and rebuilt by a qualified shipwright.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0226.jpg   IMG_0227.jpg  
dhmeissner is offline   Reply With Quote