Shaft Gland Packing Type?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Northern Lights II
Vessel Make
Bayliner 3870
I have a haul out scheduled next spring to replace the radar arch, swim platform and the reconditioned props. During this I'am getting the shafts and rudder logs repacked. The question I have is what brand and type of packing are the forum members using and how well has it performed for you? I used the teflon impregnated packing in 2010 and adjusted it a couple of times during the years and 680 hours of use. It had started to leak very excessively and I tightened it but was only able to turn it 1 flat. For the winter I'am going to add 1 ring of packing and tighten enough to stop any drip. What to use in the spring the ptfe packing or the ptfe with graphite or is something else available. I'am not interested the dripless pss type, I like being able to make repairs in the water without having to haul the boat.

I have been using a dripless, but the Strong Seal which is a lip seal.
It can be repaired in the water, but in 8 seasons on this boat I have yet to see a drop.
Had one 5 years in my previous boat and no drops.

Well if your getting 6 years of service from an hours work, I'm not sure I have a good suggestion for improvement. I have used gore but also put it in about 7 years ago, so thus far not a huge utility difference.

Make sure the packing is the actual problem as it depends on alignment and running gear to be sound or it won't work.

What Bill said, without question. few drips ever and lasts a long time. I wouldn't have dripless shaft seals on a bet. The gore stuff doesnt drip and anyone can replace it from inside the boat.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom