Semco applied over oil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Westiculo

Vessel Name
Rose Mary
Vessel Make
42 Grand Banks Motoryacht - 1985
I'm redoing my exterior teak and do not want the trouble of varnishing or continuously oiling. I plan to use Semco, but stumbled across this article that mentions oiling a couple weeks before applying a sealer like Semco: https://www.boatus.com/boattech/casey/teak-care.asp

Has anybody done this? I have not seen it mentioned anywhere else, but I would prefer the darker, wet oiled look over Semco. If I could get that with the protection offered by Semco....

Tell us about Semco.
Oil based, epoxy, poly or what and what are it’s properties?

Hi Westiculo,

I can only speak to what was done on my boat, which was clean and very lightly sand the teak, then allow it to stand for a few days, then apply the Semco. The Semco takes about a day to properly soak into the teak and dry.

We used the 'natural' colour. The teak comes up a light golden colour, it looks fantastic IMHO.

I reapply the Semco every 4 months (3 times a year) myself, and so the finish has always remained uniform. I think if you dont reapply it reasonably regularly, it can go blotchy/patchy and look terrible.

Not everybody likes Semco (because it isnt 'traditional grey teak' or because it has to be reapplied regularly or both), however I am a total convert. It protects the teak from chips my children and their friends spill, or wine my friends spill, or anything our dog might do! And I have an unproven suspicion it probably also slows the natural weathering and wear process of the teak.

Good luck!

Hamish.

Back
Top Bottom