Seal Poop Stain Removal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mark Laurnen

Vessel Name
Freedom
Vessel Make
Albin 31 TE 2004
Are there any knowledgeable chemists, or experienced boaters, with advice to offer? I'm in Port Orchard, Everett, WA. There is strong evidence that some homeless street harbor seals have had a homeless encampment on my transom. True to form, they left a mess. After scrubbing off the five piles of organic excrement, I have stain spots on my almond colored non-skid fiberglass transom platform. I don't begrudge the down and out homeless, but I wish they could learn to poop in the water, not where they sleep. These stains have resisted West Marine Boat Soap, Starbrite Non-Skid Deck Cleaner, Rustoleum Rust Stain Remover, and Simple Green cleaner. I have not yet tried vinegar, alcohol, paint thinner or lacquer thinner, the last two of which I don't want to wash into the environs of the unemployed homeless. Any/all advice will be appreciated. Thank you.

I am not a seal expert, but it appears they also periodically regurgitate up the undigested fish bones and a mixture of fluids that are red in color. I have found these to be the nastiest to clean up. Have you tried a Magic Eraser?

Try Davis Fiberglass Stain Remover. It may work. In the mean time maybe build some sort of physical barrier so they can’t get up there. Besides the poop stains the weight may be too much for the swim platform.

I don't have any suggestions for the stain beyond letting some Barkeepers' Friend on there for a while but for keeping the homeless under control perhaps try one of these.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/pro...eukdx3sswwaabxyhe__lp5bigrcmkc8uaavz2ealw_wcb

They work pretty well down here in SoCal and as you all know we have more than our fare share of both types of homeless. Decoy only works with marine version as far as I know.

I have a stain on my swim step because an otter killed and ate a seagull on it.

Thank you, all sound like good suggestions, especially the decoy! I correct myself, I meant to say Port Gardner, not Port Orchard. I had not considered their weight, but that is a serious consideration. I have an electric scat mat at home to keep dogs off of furniture, I may give that a try also. I am a nature lover ... but even I have some limits. Nasty, nasty stuff.

Hello Seal

Mark,

We have successfully used Zaal Noflex, the holding tank treatment, to remove these stains.

Non-official Instructions: Wet surface, sprinkle on the Noflex, go have a refreshment. Enjoy a snack. Do some chores. Hose it off. Second application if needed. It does not take much…sprinkle.

I would suspect your seal poop is similar to our prior seal poop, given our geographic proximity.

We use a line tied over the swim platform, in a zig zag pattern, to encourage the seals to chill somewhere else. Black and white, 3 strand and braided, are effective.

Mark,

We have successfully used Zaal Noflex, the holding tank treatment, to remove these stains.

Non-official Instructions: Wet surface, sprinkle on the Noflex, go have a refreshment. Enjoy a snack. Do some chores. Hose it off. Second application if needed. It does not take much…sprinkle.

I would suspect your seal poop is similar to our prior seal poop, given our geographic proximity.

We use a line tied over the swim platform, in a zig zag pattern, to encourage the seals to chill somewhere else. Black and white, 3 strand and braided, are effective.

Thanks I'm glad the Noflex worked for you . Can remember was it you that contacted me on this in the past or someone else . There was also one where their back deck had carpeting . Seal poop is nasty
Mr Noflex

Davis FSR. will remove. This is a fiberglass remover. may need to repeat a few times. Don't let it sit too long and dry out . You Can get it at west marine

As far as keeping them off in the future - we have found that the plastic chicken wire or plastic snow fence held of the the swim grid with shock cords work well when the boat is left unattended for awhile .

I've used toilet bowl cleaner gel with bleach in it. Put it on, let it sit. It seems to lighten before your eyes. Scrubbing eventually helps more.

Try scrubbing with Roll Off. Available at West Marine or was. Works pretty good on duck poop on our fiberglass swim platform.

Don’t know if it matters but “Amazing “ is in its name. Local
Charter boat captain used to clean fiberglass cockpit after charter for lake trout and cleaning on board.

I've used toilet bowl cleaner gel with bleach in it. Put it on, let it sit. It seems to lighten before your eyes. Scrubbing eventually helps more.

:thumb:

I used to get the yellow moustache on my bow.
Lysol Toilet bowl cleaner, in Costco for real cheap, does this and much more. I have also used it on seagull poop, Otter poop, rust ( not the best ) and other stains. I have never had seal poop on my FG, and on the swim grid, the sea cleans everything off. Contains acid, so keep bare hands away.

I think Davis FSR is the same stuff, just packaged in smaller quantities and at a higher price, for the marine store.

Oxalic Acid. Available at ACE hardware as wood bleach for less than $10. Granular. One canister will make a gallon or more. Or you can buy FSR, fiberglass stain remover in a pint jar for $20 in gel form at West Marine. This stuff is amazing. Apply new wax when complete.

Already mentioned but i can't say enough good praises for Magic Eraser. Only product we found to easily take off spider poop and other stains without harming the fiberglass finish. It's Magic!!

Greetings,
Mr. B. Belated happy Canada Day. Regarding spider poop: I've found "Scrubbing Bubbles" (bathroom cleaner) to be a good spider poop remover.

Soft Scrub is my go to for stuff like this. It has just the right amount of bleach in it.

When all else fails, full strength Clorox applied directly will take care of it.

I'd be cautious about applying 'full strength' (typically 7-10%) chlorine to a fiberglass/gel coated surface at least without testing in an inconspicuous place. Chlorine is quite reactive and could affect the coloration of the gelcoat. If you do try this make sure you rinse immediately and copiously.

Back
Top Bottom