Old 10-05-2018, 07:05 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Virginia Beach
Vessel Name: Ursa Major
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 54
Getting epoxy off Awlgrip

I have a few runs of epoxy that has run down to side of the hull that was recently professionally spray painted in Awlgrip. (I know , I know not my finest hour). Has anyone had any success in removing epoxy off Awlgrip without polishing? It is hard to patch the original Awlgrip I am told.

Paul
Sangraal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 07:14 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Can you sharpen a putty knife and try to shave it off? May not get it all off but maybe better than it is now. I just painted my boat so I feel your pain. Awlgrip is not repairable from what I gather. Good luck. My painter said he has a tool similar to a small plane that he can shave runs of paint with. Have not seen it so I am not sure what it looks like exactly.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 08:53 PM   #3
Guru

City: Bainbridge Island/Petersburg Alaska
Vessel Name: Oz
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40' RPH 1979
When this happened to us we ended up waiting a couple of years until the UV made it easier to lift of with a razor blade. Helped to shave it down as far as possible.

Tator
Tator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 08:56 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
How bad is it? Just one spot or several spots?
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 09:17 PM   #5

City: Norfolk, VA
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
Was the hull waxed? Might pop off with a razor. Or as suggested above, wait and the sun will take care of it
cool beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 06:19 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
How bad is it? Just one spot or several spots?

There are 4 runs ranging from 6” to 18”. I got off what I could in July when it happened, and hoped the UV would break it down. So far no luck. Guess I will wait a bit longer.

Paul
Old 10-06-2018, 07:49 AM   #7
Guru

City: Palm Coast, FL
Vessel Name: Coquina
Vessel Model: Lagoon 380
I had an epoxy drip on Imron. It took 10 years to just turn yellow. I also would try to shave it very thin.
diver dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 09:13 AM   #8
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
You can scrape it off with either a razor blade held at 90* to the surface, or even better use a cabinet scraper. A set in various shapes is not expensive.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 09:45 AM   #9
Guru

City: Maine Coast
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nunes Brothers Raised Deck Cruiser
You can scrape most of it off. Put masking tape around it to protect the paint and then us a very sharp scraper to scrape the epoxy off to the level of the tape. After that you can carefully sand it down more.

Contrary to what others have said, you can patch awlgrip. One of our local yards does it all the time. The issue is that on an older surface (greater than a year or so) the patch will show after another year or so. Dark colors are worse than light colors in this respect. The painter will sand the area to be patched out, fill and prime imperfections and then spray on topcoat with a detail sprayer. After the paint cures the patch will be buffed into the surrounding paint. You can buff awlgrip, it is just hard to do because the paint is so hard. I have seen repairs that were completely invisible on a flag blue hull. However, after a couple of years the patch will show up because of the aging of the paint. As I mentioned, how much a patch shows depends on the age of the original paint and the color. With your relatively new white hull patches will be invisible for much longer than on a dark color. That said, patches in your dark whale strake paint will show sooner than on the white hull.
TDunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 09:55 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Thanks for the input. Will get at it

Paul
Old 10-14-2018, 10:58 PM   #11
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Panache
Vessel Model: Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
Good info. I have a newly Awlgripped topside that I haven't "oopsed" - yet. This is going in the file.
sbu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 11:30 PM   #12
Guru

City: Sydney
Chill the epoxy with Co2 bubble gum remover and scrape it with a putty knife sharpened square
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 07:34 AM   #13
Guru

City: East Coast
Vessel Name: M/V Maerin (Sold)
Vessel Model: Solo 4303
No help for the posted problem, however for future reference, keep RainX handy. When we had fiberglass work done post-collision, I noticed a whole lot of RainX spray bottles around the shop. I learned that it's used to prevent overspray from sticking. It works! Just mist the surfaces you want to protect, not much sticks to it and it can be removed with solvents if needed.

https://maerin.net
Maerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 08:23 AM   #14
Guru

City: Perth
Getting epoxy off Awlgrip

This is a video one of our talented local painters made to deal with paint runs. Maybe you can use the same technique to address your issues??

https://youtu.be/mn6nPky0HGs
Old 10-15-2018, 08:34 AM   #15

City: SOBX North Carolina
Find you a heat gun and wave it over the runs. Then take a small plastic putty knife, which does not attach the finish like a metal one and attempt to scrap under it. Epoxy gets soft when heated. The key is don't just hold it directly onto the area. for too long at a time. You can always use some duct tape on the edges too. While this will leave some gummy areas, just use some mineral spirits to finish removing the residue.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:44 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendo78 View Post
This is a video one of our talented local painters made to deal with paint runs. Maybe you can use the same technique to address your issues??

https://youtu.be/mn6nPky0HGs

I really like this idea! Thank you for sharing.

Paul
Old 10-15-2018, 02:48 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratchnsaw View Post
Find you a heat gun and wave it over the runs. Then take a small plastic putty knife, which does not attach the finish like a metal one and attempt to scrap under it. Epoxy gets soft when heated. The key is don't just hold it directly onto the area. for too long at a time. You can always use some duct tape on the edges too. While this will leave some gummy areas, just use some mineral spirits to finish removing the residue.

Thanks, I’ll try this on an area that doesn’t show.

Paul
Old 10-15-2018, 02:49 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maerin View Post
No help for the posted problem, however for future reference, keep RainX handy. When we had fiberglass work done post-collision, I noticed a whole lot of RainX spray bottles around the shop. I learned that it's used to prevent overspray from sticking. It works! Just mist the surfaces you want to protect, not much sticks to it and it can be removed with solvents if needed.

A great observation. Thanks!

Paul
Old 10-15-2018, 05:02 PM   #19
Guru

City: Anacortes
I've had the best, if still iffy, luck sharpening a paint scraper super sharp and gently scraping the epoxy. Once you get the epoxy really thin use some acetone on a rag and your thumbnail and just start working at it. Patience is the key, trying to scrap off too much can cause the epoxy to pull the paint off. You don't want to do anything that gets under the epoxy and tries to pull it off the paint, you're liable to pull the paint off instead.
All these people say that you can patch Awlgrip and you can sand and buff it. Well the manufacturer says you can't sand and buff, without being able to do that you can't patch and blend in. Sanding and buffing will look good for a while but it compromises the paint and it won't be as durable.
That guy sanding the truck door is sanding auto clear coat, a totally different animal, though not a bad idea.
sean9c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 07:28 PM   #20

City: Vero Beach City Marina
Vessel Name: Avalon
Vessel Model: Eagle 40
Correct, AwlGrip is a bear to try to repair and it has unsatisfactory long term results. AwlCraft 2000 however is repairable by a good painter with very good long term results. I’m the Service/Sales Mgr at a large Annapolis yard.
Svalon4020 is offline   Reply With Quote