Sea cock help needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So over the weekend I took off the hose and soaked the inside with PB Blaster. Let sit 24 hours and no good. Soaked it again and will try over the holiday to see if any movement. Thinking I will end up cutting it out and replacing but will update next weekend

Many thanks for all the helpful posts. This is a great group of people.

John

The only rubber plug seacock I’ve ever seen were made by Groco. That’s not a Groco. I’ll be interested to know if it is a rubber plug or a tapered bronze plug.

I've seen a few that were a rubber cone but not Groco. I suspect the Taiwanese tried to knock them off. They were never as good as the original Groco's and on a couple the rubber deteriorated to the point that it was crumbling..

If they are true bronze tapered cone seacocks they can easily be cleaned/lapped/serviced.

Servicing Tapered Cone Seacocks (LINK)

Folks that want to install a Zerk fitting to lubricate a real bronze sea cock might prefer the SS zerks sold by outboard dealers.

Folks that want to install a Zerk fitting to lubricate a real bronze sea cock might prefer the SS zerks sold by outboard dealers.

Consider installing the Zerk fitting and when done, removing it. That is the best way.

I was attempting to open a stuck Groco ball valve after putting the boat in winter storage in October. I filled the top portion of the valve with PB Blaster and noted a small puddle on the floor below the thru-hull mushroom. So it was working its way through the valve. But the handle still wouldn't move...even after tapping and waiting multiple times. I'm thinking there is build up that is not affected by the solvent...probably of the crystalized type. Any recommendations for dissolving/loosening this type of crud without ruining the seals in the valve?

If it is on the hard, consider replacing the hull valve.
OR
Get a length of PVC to extend the handle. Once it begins to move, cycle it open and closed.... as you keep flushing the ball.
If that doesn't work, you have only the first option.

Really don't want to replace the valve. Some years ago I had a similar problem with a stuck plastic "Y" valve in a sewage line. But can't recall what I used to soften the crud....

When any seacock is closed the surface exposed to the ocean can grow stuff.

The tapered bronze units barrel can be loosened and easily removed .

Once removed it is easily wire brushed and reinstalled.

Perhaps a stuck worked from the outside will clean the ball valve ?

Weather it will still seal is unknown.

So I promised an update and here it is. I have soaked in Blaster and diesel. Used hot water. Banged on it with a wood block and hammer. Also tried a piece of pipe for leverage. I am officially surrendering it as DOA. Replacement ordered. Thanks to all for the ideas.

John

Well at least then you will have working seacocks. That will be nice.

Back
Top Bottom