Old 07-18-2015, 12:43 PM   #1

City: Coastal SC
Vessel Model: Viking 65 CP MY (run at trawler speeds !)
Does Vetus still make custom size portlights ? If not, anyone else ?

I need to replace 4, that are all plastic... aprox. 8" x 24" cutout size and aprox. 1.4" wall thickness. Hopeless on direct replacements from original manufacturer... since my first post on the subject here I have found out they were made in 1993 by an Italian company long out of business.

NFM has a model that would work but installation looks like a PITA such that I might be willing to pay just as much for some non opening ones that would fit in existing hole with no modifications.

Ran across an article on the web showing custom Vetus ones used but see no hint of custom sizes on the Vetus website. Another possible source is Bomon in Canada (not to be confused with Bomar)

Replacing Tired Old Portlights - Sail Magazine

Actually just new custom outer frames would be better than nothing, as the windows don't actually leak but the outer trim is cracked and ugly on all 4 of them.

Thoughts ?

Dune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 10:27 PM   #2
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
If just the trim ring is the problem and replacing only those rings will be satisfactory I would suggest approaching a plastics fabricator to copy yours.
SOme of these guys have CNC routers which can do a good job.

I'm on the wrong coast for any suggestions but I knew a couple in my local area and they have these machines.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 12:02 AM   #3
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Here is a new option, not sure if one of their sizes is close enough for you. You could enlarge your opening a little if needed.
Product Catalog

New Found Metals are based in Port Townsend in WA. I replaced my leaky and cracked plastic portlights with one of their models. They are really good, but like all stainless portlights they aren't cheap. I did 10 of them...
Old 07-19-2015, 06:27 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insequent View Post
Here is a new option, not sure if one of their sizes is close enough for you. You could enlarge your opening a little if needed.
Product Catalog
Read my post more carefully..
Old 07-19-2015, 06:51 AM   #5

City: Patterson, LA
Vessel Name: Last Tango
Vessel Model: Ocean 40 + 2 Trawler Yacht
If you can't find outer rings on the web, or find an affordable CNC shop, you can buy a sheet of Delrin or other superior synthetic and make your own very cheaply. All you need is a drill and a good jig saw.

I replaced all but one of my opening ports. The only port that didn't leak had a cracked and sun damaged outer ring. I made a new one for $5.00.

Typically it is not necessary to screw the outer rings on. Just use a good silicone adhesive. Not 5200!! :-)
Last Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 06:53 AM   #6
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Might be worth giving Broadus a call :

Lookout Boat Window Frames | Fiberglass Replacement Boat Windows: A solid solution to a leaky problem

http://www.boatwindowframes.com/cate...ck/port-lights

While he doesn't list your size portlights, he's usually looking for new opportunities and is a top notch custom fabricator. He's not far from you, here in eastern NC. Otherwise he may have some advice as to where to look.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 07:39 AM   #7
Guru

City: Fort Pierce
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
This looks a lot like a beckston port. Check and see if there is one that can be made to fit..

What port do I need? by Beckson
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 08:02 AM   #8
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
Might be worth giving Broadus a call :

Lookout Boat Window Frames | Fiberglass Replacement Boat Windows: A solid solution to a leaky problem

Port Lights | Lookout Boat Window Frames

While he doesn't list your size portlights, he's usually looking for new opportunities and is a top notch custom fabricator. He's not far from you, here in eastern NC. Otherwise he may have some advice as to where to look.
Very nice looking stuff

he does have a couple ports listed
http://www.boatwindowframes.com/wp-c...portlight1.jpg
siestakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 10:07 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule View Post
This looks a lot like a beckston port. Check and see if there is one that can be made to fit..

What port do I need? by Beckson
It's not, it was made by Tellichio in Italy....who according to Italian Marine Supply is long out of business. And they, even though very aware of Italian alternatives, have nothing comparable and even recommened NFM !
Old 07-19-2015, 11:51 AM   #10
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. C. I REALLY hope Mr. LT was joking in post #5 when he recommended silicone. IMO the absolute worst thing one could have on a boat except for VERY, VERY limited applications and certainly NOT for attaching outer rings. His suggestion of making your own IS viable though. If you got that route (making your own) there are a variety of good adhesives that will not give you grief down the road (I agree, NOT 5200)
MY suggestion is fill the cracks with JB weld, mask the surrounding area and paint the rings with a rattle can. Now, IF they leaked, replacement would be called for.
Old 07-20-2015, 05:47 AM   #11
FF
Guru

When I installed used opening ports and outside retaining rings the "right size" did not exist.

By obtaining a pair of rings it was easy enough to trim the pair into a wide enough ring that would fit.

If you can come close to the width and curvature , this might work.

Best would be one of the modern suppliers and trim the hole in the boat to fit.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 09:11 AM   #12

FWIW, I called Vetus this morning and it looks like Sail Magazine was very misleading on the below...

An easier option is to have the new portlights custom-made to fit the existing apertures. Companies like Bomon and Vetus-Maxwell will all make framed portlights to any specification. All you have to do is create templates of the openings, measure the thickness of the cabintop sides and specify the type of frame and interior trim. It’s not inexpensive, but the cost is not much higher than off-the-shelf portlights, especially when you factor in ease of installation.

The reality is that Vetus will make custom portlights but it's only cost effective if you need a hundred plus of them ! The mold alone will cost over $4,000...plus at least $400 each window ("portholes" as Vetus calls them) and 3 to 4 months lead time.

Which makes perfect sense really.... I thought it seemed too good to be true and sure enough it was....but felt the need to check it out just in case.
Old 07-23-2015, 02:20 PM   #13
Guru

City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Lulu (Refugio sold)
I had some Manship opening ports made (they were not a stocked size). Super happy with them.